ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on lighting (which PAR?)  (Read 3606 times)

Mark Finnemore

Advice on lighting (which PAR?)
« on: June 21, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »

Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing a bunch of PAR lights for use with bands, but also to hire out for up-lighters at weddings, etc.
I was looking at either the Chauvet Slim Par 56, or 64.  I know these aren't the "Pro" version, but for my needs they are probably enough.  What exactly is the difference?  Is it worth investing in the "Pro" versions (Slim Par Pro)?
They won't be abused as I'll always be in charge of them, so they don't have to stand up to heavy road usage..

I was also thinking of getting one of the multi-function lights for dance floor effects, something like the Chauvet Derby X, etc..  I'm avoiding lasers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Advice on lighting (which PAR?)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »

Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing a bunch of PAR lights for use with bands, but also to hire out for up-lighters at weddings, etc.
I was looking at either the Chauvet Slim Par 56, or 64.  I know these aren't the "Pro" version, but for my needs they are probably enough.  What exactly is the difference?  Is it worth investing in the "Pro" versions (Slim Par Pro)?
They won't be abused as I'll always be in charge of them, so they don't have to stand up to heavy road usage..

I was also thinking of getting one of the multi-function lights for dance floor effects, something like the Chauvet Derby X, etc..  I'm avoiding lasers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Chauvet SlimPar PRO RGBA fixtures I've owned for about 5 years or so.  They are much brighter than the non-pro versions.  Save up your money - you will be much happier with the SlimPar Pros.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »

I got away from the SlimParPro line and went to the Colordash ParQuad7 and Hex7.  They are smaller and have a better quality of light IMO.
Message me and I can get you pricing and other options.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:09:58 AM »

I've got lights that work well for bands and general stage lights.  They are wired DMX LED's and look great for wall wash/ uplights as well.

But after the  smattering of uplighting / space lighting events I have done, it seems to me that wired lights are a complete PIA in this application.  Every event is a one-off and it takes forever to link the lights with DMX and power.  Available placements, cable routing, and the shear number of fixtures needed to really cover a room or tent make the wiring a huge hassle.  Even if you  set the lights to a fixed color with internal menus and are only supplying power, you still have a lot of wiring to keep out of walkways.  Then you need some sort of sconces as well.  After all that you typically still have appearance and possibly tripping hazard issues with the wires.

Contrast that with the battery powered and remote controlled fixtures like the chauvet freedom par series.  You can set a dozen of these in a matter of minutes and set the colors as desired with remote control.  They look good and have built in sconces.  With the same number of wired fixtures in the gigs I have done it has taken me at least 2 hours so set them up.  Then tear down takes longer as well. 

The flip side is the majority of those great uplight fixtures pretty much won't work for stage lights.  Most are not setup to hang from a truss and many are not that powerful.

Anyway, it is something to consider.  Perhaps there is a multi-use fixture out there that would do both.  If you plan on doing half stage lighting and half uplighting it might be worth buying powerful battery powered lights that will also work as stage lights.  They would no doubt be more expensive but would potentially save you a lot of labor.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:04:33 PM »

Hi,
I was looking at either the Chauvet Slim Par 56, or 64.

These will leave you wanting more.. much more. Simply put these are weak.. easily eclipsed by the cheapest tri led fixture on the market. You want tri/quad/penta/hex LED fixtures of some type or better yet.. COB led fixtures, you get MUCH better color mixing and far greater output, and you will be surprised just how much output it takes to flood a stage with decent quality light from LED fixtures. And those two uses.. uplighting and stage wash require different types of fixtures or one with adjustable beamwidth, uplights typically have a very narrow beam in the 5-10deg range while wash lights could be upwards of 45deg. You can get zoom pars these days which can do both but be prepared to pay substantially more, and these fixtures are clumsy to use for uplighting. For that you want compact flat pars(they pack better) with IEC in and out connections(no attached cords), then you can buy 15ft IEC cables and daisy chain  pile of them off a single outlet.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:35:01 PM »

I got away from the SlimParPro line and went to the Colordash ParQuad7 and Hex7.  They are smaller and have a better quality of light IMO.

Dave, would you mind elaborating on that a little?  Does that include some of the SlimPar models such as the Hex 6?  The reason I ask is because certain models of SlimPars (such as the Hex 6) have some very attractive features such as Edison-IEC power linking (versus the more robust but more expensive PowerCon linking seen on the ColorDash Series).  Do you think the Colordash Series (Hex 7) is worth paying twice the price of a SlimPar (Hex 6) for?  Just asking because I'm soon to be in the market myself!  Thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:35:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 24 queries.