ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: RI Twin Reverb question  (Read 12755 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: RI Twin Reverb question
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 01:09:52 AM »

I had Weber California 12's with the aluminum dust caps in my 1965 Bandmaster 2x12 combo, and found them to be fairly shrill. To be fair, I don't own and haven't played through fenders with real JBL D120F's so didn't have a comparison, but subjectively wasn't a fan of the sound.

On the advice of Bob Leonard, I swapped these out for a set of Warehouse Speakers G12C/S and haven't looked back. Great sounding speakers.

Thanks for the plug Mr. Ned. I have a 72 that's been brought back to AB763 and currently have one Wharehouse and a D120F in it. The sound is killer beyond compare. I've been holding on to it because a member here thought he would be interested in it. However, it's up for grabs WITHOUT the D120F.

The D120F WAS in a Lonestar I own and never use. And I agree with you Ned. The Weber California is shrill.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 02:14:37 AM »

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:39:29 AM by Jeff Bankston »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 04:15:06 AM »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »

Nice Fender twin tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjAx1SECOQk
Put the mic right in between the speakers.   ::)

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »

Maybe they wanted a balanced look. lol !

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 12:06:48 AM »

Don't judge you hoser. It's not an uncommon practice with a TR because the speakers are actually closer together than they appear and you get a nice clean smooth sound, pretty much like in the youtube video. I do this from time to time and it works great.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 12:09:53 AM »

Here is a D120F that should sound real good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-D120F-Fender-12-inch-Alnico-Orange-actual-Duane-Allman-Speaker-No-6-/361599769797?hash=item5431069cc5:g:Qc4AAOSwll1WzJIA

That's nice but they all sound the same, and why pay for a name? That would be like buying a Mustang because Iacocca shit in the trunk.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 10:54:44 PM »

Don't judge you hoser. It's not an uncommon practice with a TR because the speakers are actually closer together than they appear and you get a nice clean smooth sound, pretty much like in the youtube video. I do this from time to time and it works great.
Hoser?  Isn't that some kind of north-east insult?  We don't have such sophistication out here on the Barbary coast.

I do know that lots of those old TV shows used omni mics most of the time.  And as such placement wasn't as critical.  But off axis with the dust cap is still preferable on a close mic to keep it from being shrill.  Especially with a quacky Strat.  EC didn't sound entirely comfortable there either.  A couple of places where he lost his way trying to keep a major country sound.  It's a different genre than the blues.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 02:29:19 AM »

Thanks for the plug Mr. Ned. I have a 72 that's been brought back to AB763 and currently have one Wharehouse and a D120F in it. The sound is killer beyond compare. I've been holding on to it because a member here thought he would be interested in it. However, it's up for grabs WITHOUT the D120F.

The D120F WAS in a Lonestar I own and never use. And I agree with you Ned. The Weber California is shrill.
Have you ever tried a 12AU7 in V3 for the reverb ? I was reading some stuff on the web about someone trying that tube. They said the reverb had more control. It appears my 72 Twin Reverb has a cross between the AA270 and 100 watt 010182 drawing circuit with the MV. I need to change the bias balance to an adjustable bias circuit.
http://music.codydeschenes.com/?p=669
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:06:22 AM by Jeff Bankston »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »

OMG ! My twin has "blue blob" caps straight from Pack Man Tron ! OMG NO ! This is not my foto, someone elses Fender has them to. What am I going to do ?! The amp sounds great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.