ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Boundary mic for baptistry?  (Read 7364 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Boundary mic for baptistry?
« on: June 16, 2016, 08:40:34 PM »

Our baptistry setup is unusual. The baptistry is behind a wall with a window roughly 4' high by 12' wide- that being the width of the baptistry.  Thie bapatistry itself mandates that the pastor stand within 4-5' of said wall.  We currently use a Shure MX418 mounted above the window- but this obviously restricts the pastor's position.  With one asistant who is somewhat soft spoken it is often hard to hear.

Would it be worth trying a boundary mic above this window?  Or is that just a waste of time and money?

There are no monitors to be concerned about- though ambient noise caused by air handlers is sometimes an issue.
Steve Swaffer

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Boundary mic for baptistry?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »

Our baptistry setup is unusual. The baptistry is behind a wall with a window roughly 4' high by 12' wide- that being the width of the baptistry.  Thie bapatistry itself mandates that the pastor stand within 4-5' of said wall.  We currently use a Shure MX418 mounted above the window- but this obviously restricts the pastor's position.  With one asistant who is somewhat soft spoken it is often hard to hear.

Would it be worth trying a boundary mic above this window?  Or is that just a waste of time and money?

There are no monitors to be concerned about- though ambient noise caused by air handlers is sometimes an issue.

Check this out:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/ct/conference-technology/product-line/microphones/desktop-microphones/mpr-210-b-1.html
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:37:51 PM »

Whatever direction you choose to go in, no wired mic should be close enough to the baptistery so that it can be touched while someone is in the baptismal tank. 

Electrocution can and has happened that way.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:16:32 PM »

Whatever direction you choose to go in, no wired mic should be close enough to the baptistery so that it can be touched while someone is in the baptismal tank. 

Lee

The research I have done indicates that that has been caused by a fault in the pump or heater and the mic provided a ground.  Unfortunately, we have other grounds readily and unavoidably close.  I made sure some time ago that the baptistry pump and heater are gfci protected- as well as all other wiring in the vicinity.
Steve Swaffer

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 10:20:14 PM »

Lee

We use regular wireless bodypack/headworn (Sennheiser/DPA) for the pastor.  Drop it in a Ziploc bag and tape shut.  No shock chance, and no issues as long as the pastor doesn't fall in too.

All but one of our staff ministers wear waders under the robe, with a small pocket for the pack.  The other wades wet, the Ziploc plus tape has worked for the last 9 years.  (It rarely gets any water on it -- he puts the pack in a shirt pocket, and he stands about 6'5".)
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:12:41 PM »

The research I have done indicates that that has been caused by a fault in the pump or heater and the mic provided a ground.  Unfortunately, we have other grounds readily and unavoidably close.  I made sure some time ago that the baptistry pump and heater are gfci protected- as well as all other wiring in the vicinity.

Yes, that is correct for all that I know of.  Still, I would not want to provide a potential path for fault current that someone will touch to adjust without giving it a thought. 
I like wireless or a shotgun from a greater distance.  I have not yet tested the mic that Dick suggested.  Looks like it could be great.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »

Something I saw one church do for this is was to clip the body pack for the wireless to the back collar of the pastor's shirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 01:21:16 PM »

Yes, that is correct for all that I know of.  Still, I would not want to provide a potential path for fault current that someone will touch to adjust without giving it a thought. 
I like wireless or a shotgun from a greater distance.  I have not yet tested the mic that Dick suggested.  Looks like it could be great.

Lee

I will be taking a goog look at it, it does seem promising.  The wireless option is good as well, but for several reasons I feel lik a fixed position mic is better for our situation.

As for the shock hazard, I am also looking at the new code requirement to bond the water in a swimming pool.  Sounds like a good idea for baptistries, too, but still questions to ask-and something to be done by a qualified, skilled electrician.  I wish I could eliminate all potential grounding paths, but its just not feasible.
Steve Swaffer

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 06:42:28 PM »

We have GFCI breakers on the pump and heaters, We also have a large manual disconnect (Think enclosed Knife switch with a external handle.  The pastors have been instructed that it is there job to turn off the power at this disconnect before entering the baptismal.

The baptismal can go without the pump and heaters for 30 min with no problems.

Once off, there is simply no power of any kind in there. Thus no shock hazard. I know this is not fool proof but it is the 3rd level of protection so it doesn't need to be.

We also use a wireless mic.

Not to Code

Thomas Arthur

Wireless Mic Choice for Baptistry
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 12:23:42 PM »

To eliminate any possible path to ground, we have been using a wireless handheld SM58 mic on a short stand at the front of the baptistry but it doesn't have a very long distance factor so we are having trouble picking up the pastor's voice.  The handheld mic has a replaceable cartridge but question is which cartridge would provide a better distance factor.  We can get following cartridges : SM86,  SM87A, BETA58A, BETA87A, BETA87C and KSM9.  Any advice of characteristics of each and recommendation of best choice.

ProSoundWeb Community

Wireless Mic Choice for Baptistry
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 12:23:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.