ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing on iPad not all it's cracked up to be  (Read 19357 times)

Aaron Maurer

Mixing on iPad not all it's cracked up to be
« on: May 31, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »

First let me say I am a fairly technology savvy person but totally not sold on mixing exclusive from the iPad. Had a ceremony on Monday morning and it went great (500 or so in attendance). Struggled with the iPad as it was dropping at times and could not see it due to the sun. I only use it for basic adjustments and understand its power. To be quite honest I really like having it but it is not my cup of tea to mix exclusively. Give me a console under my fingers tips anyday. It takes time for change as I learned this switching to digital from analog and would never go back I just don't ever see this with going iPad exclusive. Had another experience a few months back that I was adjusting eq on a podium mic for presenter and 1k pegged causing hellacious feedback for 2 seconds. Learned that if you tap the iPad "by accident" it moves whatever you may be near 100% +/- including faders and eq.  Admittedly I am a bit gun shy now particularly when someone is singing the national anthem and I could have taken the "P's" popping out of the mix but didn't want to risk a catostrophic error. Mixing a band gives you a bit more wiggle room. A sole speaker/singer/pastor praying not comfortable with the iPad. So that said not against iPad mixing just don't want to rely on it the entire event for hours.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Mixing on iPad not all it's cracked up to be
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:21:50 PM »

There are 2 major problems going iPad exclusively.

1. It's wireless.  Wireless can be prone to unexpected interference at ANY time. The technology will never be 100% immune from external problems.  You can eliminate this problem by connecting via ethernet, but then you lose the true wireless freedom of tablet mixing.  Having a combination of both would give you the best of both worlds.

2. No tactile feedback is available.  With a surface, you can rest your hands on controls and know if your hand is still on the control without looking at it.  With an iPad, if your finger shifts a half an inch, you may not notice it and end up adjusting the wrong thing.  That absolutely sucks in a live situation.  Additionally, if you need to grab a main fader and pull it down NOW, your reaction time on an iPad is going to be much slower.  Someday the technology will exist for bumps to appear on the glass so you can feel what you are doing, but we are quite a few years away from that.

I've done a handful of shows using iPad only for mixing, and I've never felt totally comfortable doing that, as I know the risks involved.  Any show that is more than a set it and forget it event will have a physical surface for me.  I will, and do use the iPad for setups, ringing monitors, etc.  It's a hugely useful tool. However, if you gave me a choice to either give up the iPad or give up the surface, the iPad would be gone in a heartbeat.
Brian Jojade

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »

My iPad usually ends up on the meters page, it's a nice way to get an overview of signal coming in and out. It is nice to be able to go for a walk to check out the mix and make adjustments.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »

The iPad is great on cheaper digital consoles that have small, useless screens. I use it all the time with my QU to adjust eq, dynamics and monitor mixes.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »

First let me say I am a fairly technology savvy person but totally not sold on mixing exclusive from the iPad. Had a ceremony on Monday morning and it went great (500 or so in attendance). Struggled with the iPad as it was dropping at times and could not see it due to the sun. I only use it for basic adjustments and understand its power. To be quite honest I really like having it but it is not my cup of tea to mix exclusively. Give me a console under my fingers tips anyday. It takes time for change as I learned this switching to digital from analog and would never go back I just don't ever see this with going iPad exclusive. Had another experience a few months back that I was adjusting eq on a podium mic for presenter and 1k pegged causing hellacious feedback for 2 seconds. Learned that if you tap the iPad "by accident" it moves whatever you may be near 100% +/- including faders and eq.  Admittedly I am a bit gun shy now particularly when someone is singing the national anthem and I could have taken the "P's" popping out of the mix but didn't want to risk a catostrophic error. Mixing a band gives you a bit more wiggle room. A sole speaker/singer/pastor praying not comfortable with the iPad. So that said not against iPad mixing just don't want to rely on it the entire event for hours.

What console were you using (and by extension, the app)?

I never get drop outs. I keep the WAP in clear view, above the punters, use 5gHz and never connect to house nets or the Internet.
If you use good practices you won't have wifi problems most of the time. Now the app might be funky...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jay Marr

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »

I've been mixing exclusively on an iPad for the past 3 years.  No complaints and I don't miss faders.
That being said - I'm mixing my band....so once my mix is together, I don't have to touch much all night.  A couple of monitor adjustments, etc....very simple.
For that reason, it's perfect for me because my entire rig is in one 10 space rack (and that includes 2 power amps).

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 08:36:44 PM »

I bounce back and forth between the console and Ipad.
It's absolutely essential if you're stuck with a FOH at side of house.
It's hard to mix off the sides of the mains and subs.
Also, everybody thinks I'm doing something.  Bonus!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:16 PM »

I've been mixing exclusively on an iPad for the past 3 years.  No complaints and I don't miss faders.
That being said - I'm mixing my band....so once my mix is together, I don't have to touch much all night.  A couple of monitor adjustments, etc....very simple.
For that reason, it's perfect for me because my entire rig is in one 10 space rack (and that includes 2 power amps).
What console were you using (and by extension, the app)?

I never get drop outs. I keep the WAP in clear view, above the punters, use 5gHz and never connect to house nets or the Internet.
If you use good practices you won't have wifi problems most of the time. Now the app might be funky...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm in agreement with Jay and Rob.  I must vociferously point out I'm using the Android app for the X32 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

A completely unexpected aspect of mixing on a tablet in the bar scene, is that it impresses the hell out of just about everybody.  I get the double bonus of being able to mingle not stuck behind a console, and people wanting to check it out - yes, even chicks 8)  I get to be much more social now which is actually good band publicity.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 10:13:06 PM »

Technology has its place as each has mentioned their niche above.  It has been a game changer for us in a church setting.  We have an overflow section that seats about half of what the main auditorium does-we use it 10-20 times per year.  It is actually behind FOH and acoustically effectively a separate space driven by delayed fills.  We have never really been able to get it right-but now using the iPad to tweak EQs and even the iPhone app (we are using a QU and the overflow fills are setup on Mix 5), I have been able to dial it in while another tech mixes the service.  What used to be a frustrating challenge is almost child's play now.
Steve Swaffer

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »

<<Standing on soap-box>>
No, mixing on an IPAD is definitely not great.  IPAD mixing is a "gadget".  Any real mixing is done with an actual console.  There's a couple of bands I mix for that use IPADS; they are perfect for the setup and the size of the bars.  They serve their function well.

I would never mix a band/event/fair/festival using a gadget on my rig.
<<Off of soap-box>>

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.