ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What TOPS or mains to get with our new JBL subs.  (Read 11736 times)

Joel Mevis

Re: What TOPS or mains to get with our new JBL subs.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »

I was looking at the SRX835's if you all remember but went with the 815's because of the coverage pattern. It would have left too much area at the front and sides in slightly wider rooms and I would have needed to purchase 4  to get the best coverage. However, if only being used in the same room each time, I suppose it depends on those particular specifics.

*face palm it hadn't occurred to me that the 815s were a 90° x 50° and the 835s were a 60° x 40°. A single mono or 2 clustered as a mono point source flown above the stage may be a good idea. 

Joel Mevis

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »

Pics for reference. This is when we did our last stage design. We have a unique problem with the large beams that are part of the roofing structure.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »

Pics for reference. This is when we did our last stage design. We have a unique problem with the large beams that are part of the roofing structure.

Can you actually see the horns from where your standing, also you could probably space your speakers wider, with a narrow room I'm sure you could make a stereo mix happen
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Joel Mevis

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 05:07:22 PM »

Can you actually see the horns from where your standing, also you could probably space your speakers wider, with a narrow room I'm sure you could make a stereo mix happen

You can not see the full horn, maybe 1/3rd. We've talked about dropping it some or even flipping it up side down. But if we push the speakers out much further we have to move the lights out and then they get in the way of the projectors.

All of this was done years ago before I moved here and joined the church.

If you can tell the current subs book end the stairs at the front. I figure our new SRX828sp's will take over the same space.
Oh and I plan on AUX feeding the new subs.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:10:02 PM by Joel Mevis »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 06:29:36 PM »

15 Foot.
When figuring out coverage, the ceiling height doesn't mean anything.

What matters is the height of where speakers can be mounted without hitting anything.

In your case-to the bottom of the beams.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 06:32:58 PM »

LOL Driver obviously has nothing to do with attendance. I was saying that we want something that will still cover well when attendance continues to grow.
Then you need to choose a cabinet that will cover the entire room.  Or the maximum seating area.

The NUMBER ONE THING to consider when choosing any loudspeaker for a room is "What is the area that needs to be covered and what type of pattern will provide that coverage"

EVERYTHING else doesn't matter-unless you get that right.

The NEXT thing is "How loud does it need to be?".

THEN and ONLY THEN, do we consider things like price-sound quality-size etc.

The wrong tool a  great price or the wrong performance is STILL the WRONG tool.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »

I disagree with this statement based on observation in a couple of situations.

Given the same room footprint and speaker mounting height, a higher ceiling will allow more sound to reach the back of the room than a lower one. For an extreme example, if the ceiling height is 2ft above people's heads...even if everyone has line of sight to the speakers, not much sound is going to get very far to the back. 

I've also found this to be the case with horizontal ceiling beams. Even if they're only a few inches below the solid ceiling height, they tend to block the sound more than I would expect. One can often hear a quicker drop in apparent sound level walking from front to back of a room such as the OP pictured.

This effect is not as pronounced in an empty room vs one filled with bodies. Also, it's very specific to the details of the situation. Maybe it's because people and beams block most of the direct reflections that would make it to the back given no people or no horizontal beams.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 08:09:36 PM »

I disagree with this statement based on observation in a couple of situations.

I disagreed with it too, until I read the rest of his post:

What matters is the height of where speakers can be mounted without hitting anything.

In your case-to the bottom of the beams.

I believe what Ivan is saying is the ceiling height doesn't mean much if you can't actually mount the speakers at that height.

Without having a more complete set of plans, it's hard to tell if you can actually mount the speakers at 15' or if the beams would interfere. It would depend on the depth of the room and the size of the beams. But if you can't see the horns from the location that the picture was taken, it's safe to assume that the speakers shouldn't be hung at 15'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »

I disagreed with it too, until I read the rest of his post:

I believe what Ivan is saying is the ceiling height doesn't mean much if you can't actually mount the speakers at that height.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

It is easy to take things out of context.

It is NOT the ceiling height-but RATHER the unobstructed height that can be used.

I did a large EDM show a couple of years ago in a LARGE room.

The ceiling height was fine-EXCEPT in the middle of the room there was a concrete barrier/support that came down about 15'.

So the maximum height we could use (to cover to the back of the room) was limited by that-NOT the height of the ceiling.

You have to look at ALL the aspects-NOT just one.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 11:00:26 PM »

Without having a more complete set of plans, it's hard to tell if you can actually mount the speakers at 15' or if the beams would interfere. It would depend on the depth of the room and the size of the beams. But if you can't see the horns from the location that the picture was taken, it's safe to assume that the speakers shouldn't be hung at 15'.

But I'm saying those beams would affect how the sound propagates in the room even if they were well above line-of-sight. They affect the reflections that make their way to the back of the room and so affect the apparent volume. They effectively become hanging baffles, albeit reflective not absorbative ones.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 11:00:26 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.