ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha SW118V  (Read 16138 times)

Jeffrey l jones

Re: Yamaha SW118V
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 11:50:36 PM »

Ok. Think I understand HP on sub. I found a video on utube. At the 11 min mark.

http://youtu.be/A_ad1yQ7mGk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 02:30:28 AM »

So if a passive speaker just uses a resistor and this is what was missing from the sub in question, then it wasn't suitably protected from frequencies below what the driver is designed to produce?
A resistor cannot provide any freq filtering

Only level attenuation

I wonder of it was actually a resistor in question and not a capacitor

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 07:59:22 AM »

The other thing is the device in question in series or parallel to the speaker connections.  If a resistor it would be in series to reduce the level.
But a capacitor would be in parallel and providing a 6 db crossover for the low pass.  Not desirable.  140 uf for 100 hz and 8 ohm speaker.

This could be a Zobel on the sub to help smooth out the response ? 

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »

A resistor cannot provide any freq filtering

Only level attenuation

I wonder of it was actually a resistor in question and not a capacitor

Couple Handful of posts above yours Alex R quotes from the manufacturer's info, showing it as a Poly Switch device for overall protection.

"Resistor" in the OP was most likely a misidentification of this, unless of course the cabs were second hand and a previous owner had buggered them about in some unconventional manner.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 01:31:03 AM »

So if a passive speaker just uses a resistor and this is what was missing from the sub in question, then it wasn't suitably protected from frequencies below what the driver is designed to produce?
A very cheap passive speaker will have a capacitor in series with the HF driver.  It, combined with the inductance and resistance of the driver forms a crude filter network.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2016, 03:44:04 AM »

You should use a high pass and a low pass

The high pass is to keep the freq below what you want out of the speaker and the low pass is to keep the freq above what you want out of the speaker

Both are suggested for all loudspeakers

We called this a band pass in electronics school.  It passes everything between some frequency to another frequency, say between 40 Hz and 110 Hz.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2016, 07:31:25 AM »

We called this a band pass in electronics school.  It passes everything between some frequency to another frequency, say between 40 Hz and 110 Hz.
Yes, both filters form a bandpass-but it is comprised of 2 individual filters.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »

I understand what the filters do - I'm just questioning the terminology and wondering if the term HP is being used a lot ( myself included) but is not used correctly - or should I say accurately. Everyone seems to agree that  HIGH PASS means to pass high frequencies so if high frequencies are not being passed , then how can the filter be called high pass? Shouldn't it be called high cut which is the opposite - it cuts high frequencies from the driver.?

HIGH PASS means frequencies higher than specified will be passed.  It doesn't matter if that is 35Hz or 3500Hz.

LOW PASS means frequencies lower than specified will be passed and again, the actual number is irrelevant.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2016, 01:58:15 PM »

HIGH PASS means frequencies higher than specified will be passed.  It doesn't matter if that is 35Hz or 3500Hz.

LOW PASS means frequencies lower than specified will be passed and again, the actual number is irrelevant.

I realize that the frequency number is irrelevant.
My confusion was simply the term 'high pass' - with the word 'PASS' being the stumbling block for me.
If a filter 'passes' frequencies higher than a predetermined number, then it passes only those frequencies to somewhere. I see and hear the term HP used for all powered subs with processing in them whether they 'pass' the 'higher' frequencies or not.
The PRX718 'passes' high (> 120z) frequencies to the tops. The KW181 does not yet it still gets described that way. I had never factored in that some of these references as Corey pointed out may be to do with the HP at the lower end of the subs capabilities.
There have been a few threads over the years on various forums related to this where folks were getting confused and assuming that the HP output on subs like the PRX was on all powered subs.
I realized this was not the case way back because I owned a pair of the QSC K-subs myself and realized in order to not have overlapping frequencies, I would need to use an external c/o to be able to use them with my PRX612's that had no processing in them to filter out the typical sub frequencies.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »

I realize that the frequency number is irrelevant.
My confusion was simply the term 'high pass' - with the word 'PASS' being the stumbling block for me.
If a filter 'passes' frequencies higher than a predetermined number, then it passes only those frequencies to somewhere. I see and hear the term HP used for all powered subs with processing in them whether they 'pass' the 'higher' frequencies or not.
The PRX718 'passes' high (> 120z) frequencies to the tops. The KW181 does not yet it still gets described that way. I had never factored in that some of these references as Corey pointed out may be to do with the HP at the lower end of the subs capabilities.
There have been a few threads over the years on various forums related to this where folks were getting confused and assuming that the HP output on subs like the PRX was on all powered subs.
I realized this was not the case way back because I owned a pair of the QSC K-subs myself and realized in order to not have overlapping frequencies, I would need to use an external c/o to be able to use them with my PRX612's that had no processing in them to filter out the typical sub frequencies.

Yup, I came from a background where HP were "low cut" filters and LP were "high cut".  The transition to correctness was painful.  :-\

It's good to have some external system processing for those very circumstances, Debbie. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.