ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with setting up Driverack PA  (Read 13129 times)

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
Re: Help with setting up Driverack PA
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »

Isn't he using two DRs because he's running aux-fed subs?  That's what I took from that.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Chang Yang Min

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »

Isn't he using two DRs because he's running aux-fed subs?  That's what I took from that.

Well no idea why my seniors set it up this way but yeah, the subs are on AUX1

Apparently I need more sleep..or coffee, because I cannot understand how you've set up your system.

I get the subs. Are the JRX only for stage monitors and the Yamaha MSR are the mains over the subs? Are there more than a pair of MSR?

I could see using one of the DBX DR for monitors if they're all on one mix.

Getting the mains happening? I'd be wrong if I said that using your ears won't be the most important tools. I'd start, like suggested above, with a regular biamp setting(100h LWR) but without any EQ happing at the board or in the DR. Get the crossover happening first, the basic tops vs subs levels. You can EQ yourself nuts when the basic balances are whacked out. Get your gain structure, clipping limits set.

but all that might be a guess depending on what the system actually is.

Alright, Mixer's MIX output>DRPA1>AMP1>2xJRX112M (House speakers)
                                               >AMP2>2xJRX112M (Stage Monitors)

Next, Mixer's AUX1 output>DRPA2>6xJRX118SP

Finally, Mixer's AUX2/AUX3>2xMSR400

uuuuuuhhh wouldnt biamp mean running 2 amps in parallel?
How should I setup the crossover on the DRPA?

Sorry about being a noob at this :(

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »

Well no idea why my seniors set it up this way but yeah, the subs are on AUX1

Alright, Mixer's MIX output>DRPA1>AMP1>2xJRX112M (House speakers)
                                               >AMP2>2xJRX112M (Stage Monitors)

Next, Mixer's AUX1 output>DRPA2>6xJRX118SP

Finally, Mixer's AUX2/AUX3>2xMSR400

uuuuuuhhh wouldnt biamp mean running 2 amps in parallel?
How should I setup the crossover on the DRPA?

Sorry about being a noob at this :(

Aux fed subs is a good idea, but like everything else, needs proper implementation for optimum results.  Perhaps if you post where you're located, there might be a member nearby who would be willing to help in person. 

Chang Yang Min

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »

Aux fed subs is a good idea, but like everything else, needs proper implementation for optimum results.  Perhaps if you post where you're located, there might be a member nearby who would be willing to help in person.

Singapooooooooooooooore

Well Paul and Dave up there tells me to run the subs and the JRX112M's on one Driverack PA :/

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 06:41:36 PM »

Well my subs are active, would be a pain to run to all 6 to turn them down when the bass is too high off a song.
What about vocals? last I tried talking on my SM58's with the subwoofers up on that channel it sounded like a rave party, turn down the lows on the mixer EQ too?
YES.. that is why each channel has it's own EQ and low cut switches, without changing anything related to system balance you can talk over a mic without it sounding boomy but a backing track will have all the lowend rumble it was recorded with.

Yeah I run Bose 802 II's on my second system, What would the 802C do to the JRX112M's and JRX118SP's though?
Nothing good.. don't even think about using anything but Bose speakers with that processor.

Now, to equalising the system, the subs previously sounded like some dude having diarrhoea, after me screwing with the thing a little, I can feel the punch from the bass but it's still slightly muddy. The JRX112M's were initially Harsh and slightly muffled, after me screwing with it it's much clearer now but much softer (in volume), what do you suggest?
Go back to square 1, delete all EQ processing from those DRPA channels and start over using parametric EQ to flatten the worst of the offending frequencies, this is where a test system would help you see the problem frequencies.

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »

With your subs fed off Aux 1, you should only turn up the Aux 1 knob on channels that you want going into the subs.  No vocal mics should be turned up in Aux 1 at all.  Same for any mics on instruments that have no low bass to them. 

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 10:25:58 PM »

Well Paul and Dave up there tells me to run the subs and the JRX112M's on one Driverack PA :/

Where would your Driverack be located - in the amp rack or at the console?  It is possible to alter gains to the subs via that interface, but not something you'd want to do a lot.

Once your system is set up and balanced, how much adjustment to the subs do you anticipate?

Also, do your subs have Low Pass filters?  If so, you may not need a Driverack in front of them.  Aux feed could work.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 12:23:15 AM »

With your subs fed off Aux 1, you should only turn up the Aux 1 knob on channels that you want going into the subs.  No vocal mics should be turned up in Aux 1 at all.  Same for any mics on instruments that have no low bass to them.

Don't you need the aux outputs for monitors?

With the analog board you never have enough.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

duane massey

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 02:42:08 AM »

Did I miss something here? He's running the FOH tops AND the monitors thru the 1st DRPA? Please tell me I am reading this wrong.
If this is indeed what is happening, take it all apart. Use one DRPA to run the FOH only (no monitors), and connect the amps/speakers correctly.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tom Burgess

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 02:34:40 PM »

Did I miss something here? He's running the FOH tops AND the monitors thru the 1st DRPA? Please tell me I am reading this wrong.
If this is indeed what is happening, take it all apart. Use one DRPA to run the FOH only (no monitors), and connect the amps/speakers correctly.
Or maybe something like this:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:21:19 PM by Tom Burgess »
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 02:34:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.