ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)  (Read 55638 times)

Jay Marr

Re: PA Speakers Recommendation (live band)
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2016, 09:26:42 PM »

That's always the worry for me, not having enough rig for the gig, especially for a fairly loud rock gig.  They could be they are fine for most of what I do, or not.  That first gig I'm sure they would be, but I'm sure I'll do bigger gigs than that.

The VRX are second hand, so I've not got much to lose by getting them; I can sell them if they don't work out.  Maybe that logic sounds daft ;)

A part of me thinks I'll regret it if I lose out on the VRX, or might go and pick them up and wonder what the hell I've done ;)  ... Probably going to sleep on it.

What size rooms / no. of people do you find the 15's are okay for?

I doubt I'll often do >100 people, less most of the time, so perhaps the 15's would be fine.

If the price is decent, you will absolutely not regret the VRX's.
Out of all the subs you listed, they would be my first choice.  Not saying the others would not suit your needs, just saying those would be my favorites.
If they were local to me (Boston, MA), I would be trying to buy them....

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2016, 06:32:49 AM »

If the price is decent, you will absolutely not regret the VRX's.
Out of all the subs you listed, they would be my first choice.  Not saying the others would not suit your needs, just saying those would be my favorites.
If they were local to me (Boston, MA), I would be trying to buy them....

I am trying to knock him down a bit and do a deal, but he seems reluctant even though they've been for sale for quite a while now which I do find slightly odd.  Will see what happens.

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2016, 06:35:58 AM »

The 715's will easily fill a small bar/restaurant/club 150-200 people using 2. If using one - a bit less. Again, it is all down to personal preference and although I like a good amount of low end, there are some who like more than I do. I wouldn't suggest these for pre -recorded DJ music necessarily but for live sound they are perfect.

With that said, if you can get a couple of used VRX918's at a good enough price, you probably should get them. Just make sure to check them well and make sure the drivers have not been replaced with inferior ones - important because it happens quite a lot especially if you don't know their history!!

Interesting... I had have thought of hiring the kit out for weddings and such to earn some extra money (i.e. playing pre-recorded music or a DJ using it).  They probably wouldn't care that much though.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised a couple of 15's can manage a 200 people rock gig.  My old 15's would have struggled with that, though they were passive and I don't think I really got the best out of them (TQ-115's).

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »

Interesting... I had have thought of hiring the kit out for weddings and such to earn some extra money (i.e. playing pre-recorded music or a DJ using it).  They probably wouldn't care that much though.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised a couple of 15's can manage a 200 people rock gig.  My old 15's would have struggled with that, though they were passive and I don't think I really got the best out of them (TQ-115's).

Its tough to quote audience numbers because to be fair, in my experience 200 people can fit quite easily in a very small space  dancing and standing - no tables . I just looked at the picture you posted of the room you will be playing in and using that as an example, we have used them successfully in rooms probably twice that size. Beyond that , I don't know because we would normally take the 18's just to be sure. 

Definitely keep pushing that guy with the VRX's to get a price that you can afford though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:51:46 AM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2016, 10:46:16 AM »

Mark, while this firm won't be able to help with your specific questions, I think they may have diagnosed the underlying issue  ;) ;)

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AB3o/hh-gregg-memorial-day-sale-fobo
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »

Mark, while this firm won't be able to help with your specific questions, I think they may have diagnosed the underlying issue  ;) ;)

FOBO... I suffer from that too !!! ;D
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2016, 11:21:35 AM »

A 15" might not produce some of those low sub frequencies used in EDM as well as an 18" so consider that too when comparing 15's to 18's for DJ work.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »

FOBO.  I like it, it's concise and telescopes a number of finer points into one concept.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2016, 04:41:16 AM »

FOBO.. sounds about right  ;)

My fear is getting it wrong, and wasting money doing so.

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »

I spoke to the guy who owned the VRX's again... they aren't available until early July!  So that puts them out of the running, in the short term at least.  So now I need to device whether to perhaps get the JBL 15's for now, and the VRX later for larger venues.  Or just get the ETX15sp's which will likely be about as loud and deep as the VRX and be done with it.  Or even the KW181.  I think.. I think I need to find somewhere and actually look at the bloomin' things, and perhaps even compare.  Bit of a task here in the UK :(

*Sigh*  Back to the drawing board.

On the up side, my second DSR112 arrives tomorrow! :) :)

I think I'm going to have to look up EDM; people keep saying it and I have no idea what it means.. Electronic Dance Music by any chance?..  Ah yes.. so it is  8)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:38:00 AM by Mark Finnemore »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.