ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Woodworking project: event furniture  (Read 5667 times)

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
Woodworking project: event furniture
« on: May 06, 2016, 05:18:42 PM »

I am considering breaking out my woodworking tools to build some multi-function, knock-down furniture. My initial thought is to make it friction-fit and such as much as possible, and use hinges and maybe some light latches where necessary. Mostly to be cut from furniture-grade plywood. I'm thinking a three-part lectern: top about 10" tall with ability to slant slightly, middle and bottom about half the total height each. The idea is to be able to use each section separately (projection tables, someplace to put water/notes on stage, etc.). If I had two of these, I could toss them in the trailer, or even just in the back of an SUV, and be able to provide decent furniture pieces for events I'm supporting.

I know most hotels can provide furniture pieces, but I've been disappointed with them lately. They often provide too-big tables for projection, beat-up pieces (especially lecterns), and pieces whose height is not even close to optimal height for the use. 

Anybody seen any simple designs/plans for knock-down furniture built from plywood? I'm thinking it'd be easier to start from something and adapt it to what I need than to work it all out on my own.
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

John Rutirasiri

Re: Woodworking project: event furniture
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 09:52:44 PM »

I think furniture is so taste-dependent that you'd need a huge inventory or some catalog for pre-selection by the client well ahead of the event.  Not everyone is going to like wood.

I personally love wood podiums, but nearly all the event planners I work with these days want acrylic/lucite clear podiums. 

In past few years I have not seen event furniture rented from firms like Cort that are wood, maybe except bamboo.

As far as projector table/cart: I try to do rear projection if at all possible (or LED wall), but if front projeciton,the cart alway gets covered with table cloth or scrims, so it doesn't really matter if it looks nice. Just has to be stable and mobile.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:29:05 PM »

I am considering breaking out my woodworking tools to build some multi-function, knock-down furniture. My initial thought is to make it friction-fit and such as much as possible, and use hinges and maybe some light latches where necessary. Mostly to be cut from furniture-grade plywood. I'm thinking a three-part lectern: top about 10" tall with ability to slant slightly, middle and bottom about half the total height each. The idea is to be able to use each section separately (projection tables, someplace to put water/notes on stage, etc.). If I had two of these, I could toss them in the trailer, or even just in the back of an SUV, and be able to provide decent furniture pieces for events I'm supporting.

I know most hotels can provide furniture pieces, but I've been disappointed with them lately. They often provide too-big tables for projection, beat-up pieces (especially lecterns), and pieces whose height is not even close to optimal height for the use. 

Anybody seen any simple designs/plans for knock-down furniture built from plywood? I'm thinking it'd be easier to start from something and adapt it to what I need than to work it all out on my own.
How about making some wood "upgrades" for some consoles...?

(the entire http link below should be all on one line)

https://www.google.com/search?q=audio+mixing+console+made+wood&biw=1600&bih=781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7qebj9MbMAhWLNSYKHUi6DGkQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=-pdwEDuBgg8yCM%3A

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »

A couple years ago I built some music stand tops to fit onto a mic stand - minimal stuff to carry, nice low-profile look. The only tricky part was something to allow different desk angles, which I sort of solved by making some different angle blocks.

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »

I think furniture is so taste-dependent that you'd need a huge inventory or some catalog for pre-selection by the client well ahead of the event.  Not everyone is going to like wood.

I personally love wood podiums, but nearly all the event planners I work with these days want acrylic/lucite clear podiums. 

In past few years I have not seen event furniture rented from firms like Cort that are wood, maybe except bamboo.

As far as projector table/cart: I try to do rear projection if at all possible (or LED wall), but if front projeciton,the cart alway gets covered with table cloth or scrims, so it doesn't really matter if it looks nice. Just has to be stable and mobile.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

The folks I work with tend not to be so picky - they are folks who have just started doing events (usually life coaches and such), and they look to me to take care of most details. I have a set of black tablecloths for those times when the exposed furniture isn't the right look. This would essentially be utility pieces kept with my rig for when it's needed, rather than something the client selects.
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »

How about making some wood "upgrades" for some consoles...?

(the entire http link below should be all on one line)

https://www.google.com/search?q=audio+mixing+console+made+wood&biw=1600&bih=781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7qebj9MbMAhWLNSYKHUi6DGkQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=-pdwEDuBgg8yCM%3A

Very cool, but not an issue for me - I don't have the patience to work with the thin woods and fine cuts needed for sliders, etc.
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 06:10:49 PM »

A couple years ago I built some music stand tops to fit onto a mic stand - minimal stuff to carry, nice low-profile look. The only tricky part was something to allow different desk angles, which I sort of solved by making some different angle blocks.

Yeah, selectable angles will be one of the problems to solve. I've thought about using movable pegs or some sort of bench dog if I can work out a stable insert to hold them. I think my options will depend upon the thickness of the wood I use for the sides. Thicker = more stability, more wood to anchor hardware in, and more weight. I can offset the latter somewhat by making "decorative" cut-outs of some sort.
Gerry Seymour

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 11:43:03 PM »

on a lectern - hinge the left and right sides; use a dovetail bit to add channels to the insides of both, and then on the ends of a shelf piece of wood. That way, you have your shelf, and it locks the 2 sides together with the dovetail joint. Easy to assemble without tools or pins...

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »

Yeah, selectable angles will be one of the problems to solve. I've thought about using movable pegs or some sort of bench dog if I can work out a stable insert to hold them. I think my options will depend upon the thickness of the wood I use for the sides. Thicker = more stability, more wood to anchor hardware in, and more weight. I can offset the latter somewhat by making "decorative" cut-outs of some sort.

FWIW a lectern is pretty much always a fixed 20-30 degree angle. Being able to adjust height is more important.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »

Several years ago, I saw the need for a foldable, portable lectern for use at my church's annual Memorial Day Campout. Prior to this, the lectern often consisted of coolers stacked on a picnic table.

I didn't have much time, but I managed to whip something up. It's been used for many years. It's even been used by a preacher from Sweden. It may not be quite what you had in mind, and this is the only picture I have so you can't see it in its full beauty, but behold the world-famous Porta-Pulpit:
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.