ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: USAF Band - Engineer Vacancy (Washington, DC)  (Read 5205 times)

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
USAF Band - Engineer Vacancy (Washington, DC)
« on: May 04, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »

For those looking for a change, the USAF Band in DC is in need of another engineer.

www.usafband.af.mil/aboutus/careers

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: USAF Band - Engineer Vacancy (Washington, DC)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:15:43 PM »

Seems like you guys have a lot of turn over. Does the gig suck or something?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 06:16:10 PM »

I'm just a civilian, posting for the guy whose spot is opening up.  And from what I know of the gig (and I've known the guys in this band almost 10 years) it's a solid gig.  This particular guy was able to rotate into a teaching gig for a few years, so this is his spot.

Remember, there are USAF bands all over the country.  This particular one is one of the "premier" service bands in DC - their entire shop is Digico and Meyer.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:29:57 PM »

I'm sure there are many factors involved.  It's an enlisted position requiring at least a 4-year commitment.  Perhaps some re-up and move to a less costly area to tech for one of the other AF bands, cross-train into another field, or punch after their commitment and take a chance in the private industry.

At the stated pay range, I initially suspected the position starts out as a SSgt (E-5) or TSgt (E-6), but the flier doesn't indicate if this includes allowances or special pays.  If it's just basic pay, then E-7 or E-8 is more inline with that pay.  Regardless, it's a very uncommon shortcut to becoming an NCO.  And if you like to travel...

Frankly, I think this would be a great opportunity for any young, skilled individual to work with top-level musos and equipment.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »

I'm sure there are many factors involved.  It's an enlisted position requiring at least a 4-year commitment.  Perhaps some re-up and move to a less costly area to tech for one of the other AF bands, cross-train into another field, or punch after their commitment and take a chance in the private industry.

At the stated pay range, I initially suspected the position starts out as a SSgt (E-5) or TSgt (E-6), but the flier doesn't indicate if this includes allowances or special pays.  If it's just basic pay, then E-7 or E-8 is more inline with that pay.  Regardless, it's a very uncommon shortcut to becoming an NCO.  And if you like to travel...

Frankly, I think this would be a great opportunity for any young, skilled individual to work with top-level musos and equipment.

The last time I looked into one of these positions, I think you started at E4, unless you had at least 60 hours of college and then automatically went to E5. And The pay that was advertised was the base salary (although this is much more than that, probably because of the higher cost of living in the D.C. area), and then you also got BAH, and commissary privileges, extra bumps for multiple languages, etc...

We've had a couple of military bands come through since I have been here, the President's Own Marine Band and one of the Army bands. Their guys were top notch and knew their shit, and they had some of the neatest, most OCD on stage set ups I have ever seen.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Lou Kohley

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »

I'm one of three audio guys at the regional AF band in California.

The DC band is our "premier" band so you get more rank to start. (You come in as an E-6)
If you join a regional band it works the same as the rest of the AF. Depending on how much college you have you can start at E-1 to E-3.

LOU

Tom Roche

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:27:03 PM »

The last time I looked into one of these positions, I think you started at E4, unless you had at least 60 hours of college and then automatically went to E5. And The pay that was advertised was the base salary (although this is much more than that, probably because of the higher cost of living in the D.C. area), and then you also got BAH, and commissary privileges, extra bumps for multiple languages, etc...

We've had a couple of military bands come through since I have been here, the President's Own Marine Band and one of the Army bands. Their guys were top notch and knew their shit, and they had some of the neatest, most OCD on stage set ups I have ever seen.

Just to clarify, basic pay is the same no matter where one is stationed.  Basic allowance for housing (BAH) is affected by locale (and by rank & dependency status).  They might offer some other special pay based on the position, though.

Some years ago I met the premier band's drummer at a gig.  Rock solid player who turned me on to the Baltimore Drum Company.  We lost contact some time ago and his name now escapes me.  Small world: discovered we had a mutual drummer friend.  He lost out on the premier band audition.  The mutual friend was already an accomplished, pro player with a Bachelor's in music and playing with artists You've Heard Of®.  Just goes to show how tough the audition process can be for the premier band.

Tom Roche

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »

I'm one of three audio guys at the regional AF band in California.

The DC band is our "premier" band so you get more rank to start. (You come in as an E-6)
If you join a regional band it works the same as the rest of the AF. Depending on how much college you have you can start at E-1 to E-3.

LOU

Lou, thanks for clarifying.  Can you audition for the Premier band?  Nice way to make TSgt if you can.  How do you like the work?

Lou Kohley

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »

Lou, thanks for clarifying.  Can you audition for the Premier band?  Nice way to make TSgt if you can.  How do you like the work?

Are you asking if I can audition for the premier band? If so the answer is yes but my commander has to allow it. Most want to see you try and advance.

Me personally I auditioned for the DC band when I joined but I wanted to go to CA. I won the DC job but they qualified me for the regional band. At the time I wanted to get out of DC and I haven't looked back. DC will always be a home to me but I'm glad I made the choice I did.

The job is fine. I have mixed feelings some days. I will say it was the best thing for me being a year or two out of school and looking for a full time job that would give me experience, a salary, and benefits. It's not glamorous by any stretch. The DC band job maybe more so but the regional band job is not.

It does give you an opportunity to really expand your knowledge and experience. If you are a self learner than this job can be excellent. If you need guidance you might get lucky and get it or you might not. (I'm talking about as an audio professional there is plenty of "leadership" to be had)

Gaining experience, developing your own work flow, and working with great equipment is worth the initial investment. Not to mention the GI Bill benefits if you only stay 4 years.

I can go on. I'm happy to add more on this thread. Or PM or email [email protected]

LOU

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »

Are you asking if I can audition for the premier band? If so the answer is yes but my commander has to allow it. Most want to see you try and advance.

Me personally I auditioned for the DC band when I joined but I wanted to go to CA. I won the DC job but they qualified me for the regional band. At the time I wanted to get out of DC and I haven't looked back. DC will always be a home to me but I'm glad I made the choice I did.

The job is fine. I have mixed feelings some days. I will say it was the best thing for me being a year or two out of school and looking for a full time job that would give me experience, a salary, and benefits. It's not glamorous by any stretch. The DC band job maybe more so but the regional band job is not.

It does give you an opportunity to really expand your knowledge and experience. If you are a self learner than this job can be excellent. If you need guidance you might get lucky and get it or you might not. (I'm talking about as an audio professional there is plenty of "leadership" to be had)

Gaining experience, developing your own work flow, and working with great equipment is worth the initial investment. Not to mention the GI Bill benefits if you only stay 4 years.

I can go on. I'm happy to add more on this thread. Or PM or email [email protected]

LOU

I am a teacher about an hour outside of DC. I used to use our auditorium (900 seats) every winter t OK sponsor a community concert with the Navy band country current.

The national honor society students did it as a community service but I really wanted them to see some non traditional possibilities for music careers.

I think the music related reality shows have totally distorted young people's views of the music industry.

I think the same would hold true for young techs as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 25 queries.