ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this surprising?  (Read 13679 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Is this surprising?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 09:33:51 PM »

Back then, were you in LMPS or CIG at MOT?

John,

I came over to MOT when they acquired Winohoria networks.  We owned the wireless Softswitch, SMSC, ANSI-41 transport hardware and the early MMSC.

Our group participated in the IETF SIP working group and helped shape IMS. 

The CDMA MM and BSC ended up in our group.

My flagship project was I owned the Verizon IP PTT FOA. 

Prior to that in the 80's I worked with the Global Paging Infrastructure Group on paging mobility management.   I was not a direct employee then.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:36:50 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 02:03:27 AM »

I came over to MOT when they acquired Winohoria networks.  We owned the wireless Softswitch, SMSC, ANSI-41 transport hardware and the early MMSC.

Our group participated in the IETF SIP working group and helped shape IMS. 

The CDMA MM and BSC ended up in our group.

My flagship project was I owned the Verizon IP PTT FOA. 

Prior to that in the 80's I worked with the Global Paging Infrastructure Group on paging mobility management.   I was not a direct employee then.

Awesome, Scott!  No wonder you know so much about RF and networking.

Ahhh...the good old days.  I really don't know if the downward spiral started with Chris, Zander, or Greg Brown.  But I blame Brown the most.  And he's still peddling what's left of this once magnificent company.  BTW they just sold the former CIG Harvard campus...300 acres plus the 1.5 million sq ft building for $9M to some Chinese investor.  Zurich insurance also took over a part of corporate campus in Schaumburg.  A good part of Schaumburg campus has been parceled off.  Even MECU is moving.

I was at LMPS trunked subscriber (Astro/APCO/Project 25), then went to MOSCAD, and ended up at IESS/AIEG doing Ford and Honda ECUs.  Conti bought AIEG in 2006.

Best,
John R
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 09:52:35 AM »

, and ended up at IESS/AIEG doing Ford and Honda ECUs. 

Best,
John R
How come my check engine light has been on for about 2 years?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 10:07:43 AM »

JR

... have you opened the hood to check on it, and make sure it's still there...?
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »

JR

We opted not to go VW route?

Seriously, it could be any number of things.  Would need to know what DTCs (P codes) are set in OBD-II.  If you go to Auto Zone or any auto parts store, they'll usually hook up a scanner and read codes for you without charge.  Have them clear the codes while you're at it. 

If the check engine comes back, you have a permanent DTC which is usually emissions-related (e.g. EGR, O2, etc.)  If it doesn't come back, could have been a transient condition, like a hitting big pot hole screwing up misfire median filter, etc.

Now if you have a recent model Ford with Siemens VDO-designed plastic cover/aluminum baseplate ECU, all bets are off!

John R.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »

It's a '97 mustang cobra so the ECU is probably pretty rudimentary. I suspect the warning is emissions related....

Recently I have a new ECU related problem where the engine bucks and surges when cold. It appears the ECU might be getting bad temp data (running too lean for cold). Apparently there are two temperature sending units on that motor (DOHC v-8). The temp sending unit feeding the dashboard temp gauge reads correct. Once warmed up the motor runs fine, so I suspect temp sending unit #2 or wiring harness fault. 

An old ECU problem I have is that the built in theft alarm goes off randomly whenever I lock the car, so for several years now I have to leave it unlocked.  I suspect this is a flaky wiring harness (almost 20 YO mustang). I haven't been able to identify the intermittent door(?) trunk(?) whatever switch contact that triggers the alarm yet. 

My next door neighbor has a code reader... some day I will plug it up... It couldn't hurt to reset the ECU after almost 20 years.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »

Awesome, Scott!  No wonder you know so much about RF and networking.

Ahhh...the good old days.  I really don't know if the downward spiral started with Chris, Zander, or Greg Brown.  But I blame Brown the most.  And he's still peddling what's left of this once magnificent company.  BTW they just sold the former CIG Harvard campus...300 acres plus the 1.5 million sq ft building for $9M to some Chinese investor.  Zurich insurance also took over a part of corporate campus in Schaumburg.  A good part of Schaumburg campus has been parceled off.  Even MECU is moving.

I was at LMPS trunked subscriber (Astro/APCO/Project 25), then went to MOSCAD, and ended up at IESS/AIEG doing Ford and Honda ECUs.  Conti bought AIEG in 2006.

Best,
John R

Small world John.  When I started my career in the late 70's I was in awe of Motorola.  This was in the days of Micor upright stations and you would have a tech on the phone with you while you had a control card in a service slot extension doing component level troubleshooting.  "What is the voltage on the base of q4", that was truly a special time.  I had the opportunity to meet Bob Galvin and Chris and various functions.  I left the paging industry in 1992 and did not have contact with Motorola again until 1998 when I was hired as a contractor for Sprint PCS.  Cleveland was FOA 2 market for the CDMA Base Stations,  the Tandem based BSC's and MM's.  We had software engineers on site and some of my deepest expereince with SS-7 protocol and CDMA BSC messaging (x.25 !). 

I was hired by Winphoria who was developing a soft switch in 2002 due to my IP and telephony experience.  Motorola grabbed up Winphoria and our stock was converted to Motorola stock.

For awhile everything was great but slowly as we were absorbed into Motorola the uniqueness that drove innovation at Winphoria was lost.  I was always a work at home on almost 100% travel however I reported to a director in Arlington Heights.  I got into the Digital 6 Sigma training and was fully trained on DOORS (another process chain tool).

Things started to go sideways and I was transferred to a development business sector to analyze software lifecycle processes.  This would be like hiring a gynecologist to do brain surgery.  It was the only position open at my grade and I was told to be grateful.  That didn't work out and I wasn't going to move my family to Arlington Heights.  That was 13 years ago and I have been self employed since.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.