ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?  (Read 45420 times)

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
Re: Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »

I have a DM24 in my home office with a MOTU TDIF interface that adds 8 more channels (and 24 back to the PC with 3 TDIF).

I used to use it to mix down live recordings. 

Make you a hell of a deal if you are feeling nostalgic while you figure out what console to buy next.

I think I'll pass thankyouverymuch  ;D. I'm not the one that's looking to buy.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2016, 10:19:55 AM »

Renting a desk is not really an option for me. By doing that I have just told my opposition that I have a reasonable size show and they will do everything to find my client and persuade them to use their services instead.

Dang, you're swimming with the sharks there buddy.  Can't we just all get along?  :-)

Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 10:34:43 AM »

Being a Protools user myself, I never saw the similarity in the Venue line of console. There's really nothing similar about the UI in Protools and the Venue consoles. If there was, I would probably prefer them over Yamaha.

I think it's not the absolute similarity between Protools and Venue but more of a general familiarity especially if a person has much less experience in live sound and the associated consoles which one would never see inside of a studio. That, and the obsessive compulsive desire to load up on plug ins and apply them to as many of the inputs and outputs on the mixing console as possible, on top of the built in dynamics and eps, which Venue accommodates.

Also, I spent the summer and fall of 2007 mixing on a pair of cascaded 01V96s each of which had two sets of Presonus ADAT preamps. There was also a Midas Venice 320 in there somewhere as well. Good times. I'm glad I get to work on better consoles now, though.

Glad you made it out alive!

Peter Morris

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:16 AM »

That is only half the equation. It should be sold with peak residual value.

Not sure how you do your accounting in the US, but the peak residual value on my depreciation schedule occurs as soon as I put it on the books.

You should sell it when it is not making a return relative to its resale value, not its depreciated or residual value. 

In a more complex model you also have to consider the opportunity cost of owning that console as opposed to investing that money in another product/console.

In some circumstances an expensive console may even be a loss leader; it enables opportunities for you to hire more of your other equipment with higher margins … and then there are the Tax implication’s … no idea how that works in the US, but it can be significant for me.

If you buy the right console at the right time, by the time its depreciated to zero you will have made money, anything you can sell if for will be a bonus  :).

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »

If I was doing a venue I would spec a pair of cl's. If I were a regional provider, I would back those up with a couple of ql's.

Simply because I expect Yamaha to keep the market position they have perfected, where they are nobodies first choice but everyone's second choice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »

Dang, you're swimming with the sharks there buddy.  Can't we just all get along?  :-)

It's a sharky, sharky world out there!

Seriously, this is a pretty small world.  Cross-renting is so common in this industry and there's an unwritten code of conduct.  I rent from people I consider my partners, people I trust.  This relationship takes a long time to build and we don't steal other people's gigs.  I know the people I work with would not try to underbid me.

Call me a fool but so far so good.

John R.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »

It's a sharky, sharky world out there!

Seriously, this is a pretty small world.  Cross-renting is so common in this industry and there's an unwritten code of conduct.  I rent from people I consider my partners, people I trust.  This relationship takes a long time to build and we don't steal other people's gigs.  I know the people I work with would not try to underbid me.

Call me a fool but so far so good.

John R.

Yes, to this.  What a f*cked up world it would be if I didn't have friendly "competitors" that cooperated on a certain level towards everyones benefit.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2016, 01:58:15 PM »

You should sell it when it is not making a return relative to its resale value, not its depreciated or residual value. 

In a more complex model you also have to consider the opportunity cost of owning that console as opposed to investing that money in another product/console.

All of the above should be factored when rendering a residual value,including the opportunity cost of not making alternate investment. This common across most tax jurisdictions.

I assumed some common knowledge and communicated with shorthand.

Lo siento.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »

Yes, to this.  What a f*cked up world it would be if I didn't have friendly "competitors" that cooperated on a certain level towards everyones benefit.

Very much agreed.  Competitive cooperation is one of the things i've always admired about our industry.  I've not seen anything in our industry that resembled what the poster referenced WRT having gigs stolen because of trying to cross rent a console.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen in his market.   But dang.  How short sighted of everyone involved....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »

Exactly! We're all in this together- bidding wars/bottom feeders just hastens the "race to the bottom" which doesn't help anyone. From my POV, I won't poach other people's shows, and if a client contacts me (that I've subbed in gear/people for another company previously) about an opportunity, I'll go as far as contact the other company and let them know their client is asking me for a bid, and make sure it's cool with them. Respect, and all of that!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.