ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?  (Read 45417 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 07:20:18 AM »

Amen. 
That's exactly how dB Sound/MDS (who used to be one of the biggest sound companies in Chicago) sunk.

I just can't see how one recoups a $50K+ console before it becomes also-ran.
A Yamaha CL makes a lot of sense if it were me.

John R.
Another Amen!
IMHO, the Yamaha CL5 is a great all 'round console that a lot of people should find easy to get around and is of good quality and flexability.
If they are anything like the M7, it will be a good investment.
Here in the Toronto area, there is a huge selection of consoles to cross rent if a specific rquirement needs to be met.
Chances are, if you buy a big, expensive console, the requirement will be for one you don't have  ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 07:22:09 AM »

Nearly every rider I have seen this year asked for an SD7 or an SD5 (HA!). But nearly all of these shows ended up with a Profile/SC48. I have a feeling the SD10 will be the new toy that everyone wants to play with.
Problem is, they want the expensive toys at the low price!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 08:19:40 AM »

... and easily functions for the dozens of other non-concert events we do as well.

Hence my earlier Digico suggestion. Anything, anywhere, always. An SD9 has maximum flex. IMO.

Michael Kurczeski

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »

Problem is, they want the expensive toys at the low price!

In my world they are throwing out hail marys with the rider. mostly college venues with a 500-2000 cap.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 10:43:39 AM »

In my world they are throwing out hail marys with the rider. mostly college venues with a 500-2000 cap.

That's definitely Yamaha territory. Decent enough console that will last a long time.

Big premium consoles are a loss leader to boost sales/rentals of the profitable stuff. If you're not thinking in those terms then you might want to put off buying that big console.

Jay Brett

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »

Hence my earlier Digico suggestion. Anything, anywhere, always. An SD9 has maximum flex. IMO.

I would LOVE the SD9, sadly some of my younger engineers would need hours of training to pick it up. I also still deal with fly-dates and some old school guys that would turn down anything non-yamaha. You'd think this would be because they have files for yamaha desks, but most load their files and abandon them and start from scratch.

I also have some corporate events where they hire 10-15k party bands, it's amazing to see how many of those bands will turn down anything different than a LS9, it's the only reason I haven't sold off the LS9 yet.

Has anyone ever used the CL5 with the Waves Live setup?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 04:36:16 PM »

I would LOVE the SD9, sadly some of my younger engineers would need hours of training to pick it up.

Any console you pick up is going to need hours of training time for your techs to be fully qualified on it. I would never send a tech out with a new console without letting them train on it for at least 8 hours before the show.

I believe that Harry Brill uses the Waves Soundgrid plugins with the Yamaha CL and QL consoles. Maybe he will chime in here. He seems to like the set up.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jay Brett

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 05:17:55 PM »

Any console you pick up is going to need hours of training time for your techs to be fully qualified on it. I would never send a tech out with a new console without letting them train on it for at least 8 hours before the show.

I currently handle almost everything in house except for labor. The company I contract my labor from, is a Yamaha house. So all of their audio guys have time on LS9's, M7's QL's, CL's etc. I've seen anyone use the waves plugins with the CL's, hopefully he chimes in!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »

We do mostly "B" level acts and a lot of "Red Dirt" bands in this area.  We have only had to rent Profile's once and PM5D's/and/orM7CL's twice in the last 5 or 6
years. 

So many of the acts at our level are touring with their on consoles that we are mostly racks and stacks.  We have had good acceptance for our Pro2 and Pro1, and some acts have their files for X32 and use them on our M32;s, but most are self contained.

I haven't yet seen a CL or a D Live on a tech rider yet.  With so many of the acts carrying all their consoles, mic packages, and IEM's I haven't felt the need to purchase ANY new console yet.  I think THAT is the wave of the future in my area and regional level.

Peter Morris

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »

This thread is interesting; most people are still talking about old consoles. 

There is a third generation of digital consoles starting to appear on the market as we speak. With all of these, the sound quality, ease of use and the number of input channels has increased dramatically.   

At the moment these include the PM10, S6L, dLive, S21 and arguably at the bottom end things like the A&H Qu.  I suspect we will also see something new (this year?) from Behringer/Midas with a touch screen.

The dLive for example, is more powerful than an SD10 or Profile and depending on how you look at it almost twice as powerful as a Pro6 or CL5.  The sound quality is sensational and user interface is a delight - dual daylight view touch screens with gesture control functions like an iPad and the build quality is very solid.

All of these new desks are providing a wonderful set of effects and their own plugin’s as well as enabling third party plugins. 
They are really just examples of the latest computer technology, the most recent generation of FPGA chips, A/D’s, touch screens etc. combined with some nice software.

At this stage obviously all of these are too new to be appearing on riders but I suspect something from this new generation of consoles will be on the rider in 5+ years. For the immediate future I think the CL5 is a safe bet.

FWIW last week was our first rider request for a national tour with a dLive and we have another coming up in about a month. Yesterday it was hired as a monitor console. FOH was using a 96 channel SL6 and they need in excess of 64 inputs and lots of sends for monitors. 

It was configured as 72 in and 39 out (12 stereo IEM sends, 12 wedges sends, stereo IEM listen plus a wedge send). Not many of the older consoles can do this. May be its just me, but I’m seeing more and more requirements for crazy channels counts and monitor sends.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:45:23 PM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.