ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?  (Read 45418 times)

Jay Brett

Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?
« on: April 29, 2016, 04:55:14 PM »

Hi everyone, I was on here years ago and can't remember my login info, so back to being a newbie. If this topic has been discussed, please guide me in the right direction.

I'm working on purchasing new consoles for my venue. Currently our house consoles are LS9's and M32's. When I do rent, it's typically SC48's or Yamaha CL's. I had quotes to purchase SC48's as well as a quote to purchase Profiles. At this point, it's looking like this purchase will happen next season. With Avid having the newer SL series, I'm wondering if I should be looking at them. To justify a purchase, I need it to be in demand over the next 5 years at least.

I'm between the following.

Avid SC48's
Avid Profiles
Avid SL's
Yamaha CL5's.

I'm just now starting to see a steady amount of rider requests for the CL series, and of course the SC48/Profile still make almost every rider. What do you all think will become the standard over the next few years?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Most rider friendly & requested consoles over next 5+ years?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 06:50:25 PM »

The old Avid consoles are going to be showing up less and less. I think they may have already ended support for the Profile. The SL6 is WAY expenssive and I'm not sure that I care for the layout. And let's not forget that they don't have a remote app. The S3L is not much more than a toy.

I think you'll see requests for the Midas Pro series, Soundcraft VI series, Yamaha CL5 and the Digico SD8/10. Other than that, if they want something more specific they will probably be bringing it themselves.

There will never again be a "standard" sound console. There's just too many different options, with too many different work flows. Everyone has their preference and favorites. Buy what works best for you and your crew for the shows where you don't have to meet riders and don't have to worry about renting something in. Deal with the exceptions as they come up.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »

SD9 with its recently expanded input count IMO is the Best Buy in regards to meeting riders in the sub $30k console market for meeting most riders and needs

Peter Morris

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 12:12:03 AM »

The old Avid consoles are going to be showing up less and less. I think they may have already ended support for the Profile. The SL6 is WAY expenssive and I'm not sure that I care for the layout. And let's not forget that they don't have a remote app. The S3L is not much more than a toy.

I think you'll see requests for the Midas Pro series, Soundcraft VI series, Yamaha CL5 and the Digico SD8/10. Other than that, if they want something more specific they will probably be bringing it themselves.

There will never again be a "standard" sound console. There's just too many different options, with too many different work flows. Everyone has their preference and favorites. Buy what works best for you and your crew for the shows where you don't have to meet riders and don't have to worry about renting something in. Deal with the exceptions as they come up.

Hi Justin,

I’m seeing the same response over in this part of the world regarding the SL6, people like it but are not really that excited about it.

The CL5 and SD10 / SD7, Midas Pro series and Soundcraft VI series are all good but there is now the next generation of consoles starting to appear, with more power, better sound quality and ease of use. Digico has responded nicely with the FPGA core upgrades.

The two new consoles that seem to be a stand out at the moment are the new PM10- Rivage in the top end of the market and Allen & Heath dLive in the mid ground.  Everyone just loves using both of these.

In the mid ground I don’t think there is anything that comes close to the dLive. Compared to our old Pro2 it has more than twice as much of everything – in’s, out’s, EFX’s  and I think the sound quality is every bit as good if not better… and it is just a pleasure to use and set up.

The only thing missing has been the off-line editor and an iPad app which is due for release this May I believe .... and for the "Mic-pre" people it will even do Valve Mic-pre simulations on all(?) inputs if you want ...

It will be interesting to see how the market responds.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:54:00 AM by Peter Morris »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:40:27 AM »

Hi everyone, I was on here years ago and can't remember my login info, so back to being a newbie. If this topic has been discussed, please guide me in the right direction.

I'm working on purchasing new consoles for my venue. Currently our house consoles are LS9's and M32's. When I do rent, it's typically SC48's or Yamaha CL's. I had quotes to purchase SC48's as well as a quote to purchase Profiles. At this point, it's looking like this purchase will happen next season. With Avid having the newer SL series, I'm wondering if I should be looking at them. To justify a purchase, I need it to be in demand over the next 5 years at least.

I'm between the following.

Avid SC48's
Avid Profiles
Avid SL's
Yamaha CL5's.

I'm just now starting to see a steady amount of rider requests for the CL series, and of course the SC48/Profile still make almost every rider. What do you all think will become the standard over the next few years?

Hi Jason-

The Avid Profile/SC48 is getting long in the tooth.  Avid is still supporting them with phone, email and parts but the TDM architecture is approaching EOL.  I don't think they'll be "preferred" consoles in a year or 2.

We'll be updating consoles in the next 12-16 months.  I wish I had a working crystal ball to see what the cool kids will be using in 2018 that we can buy in October...

I suspect there is another SxL between the 3 and 6 that will be introduced "really soon now" on "Avid Daylight Savings Time".

If I were equipping a venue the Yamaha CL series has a lot to offer.  Justice Bigler equipped a PAC with Dante-networked CL consoles and can offer his insights.

Working as a stage hand, I'm seeing more DigiCo (and fewer spares) and more Vi.  Midas Pro series is about the same; Midas analog - 2 in the past 18 months.  Some clever Yamaha CL/QL packages out with bands doing bus-and-trailer shows.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:32:25 AM »

Having had a play on the new sl6 I think this is going to be the top line standard for those with the budget, however, price is going to put them out of a lot of theatre shows.  Yamaha, have done it again, by demonstrating they understand the real world requirements for most shows.

I suspect that you will also see a number of acts using "bottom feeder" consoles like the behringer, and Presonus on the basis they are small, light, decent sound and when set up for show specific operation, perfectly serviceable in many situation.  I'm not sure that some of the big names really are seeing the end users needs.  Budgets are going to factor larger in the next few years imho.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 08:49:56 AM »

We are a smaller pac.  House consoles are networked Dante systems with CL consoles driving.  We keep an M7 in a box as a spare....

We have seen bands come in with Midas Pro series, and a couple doing the bottom feeder thing with presonus/behringer, and their own in ear rig, just giving us an FOH split.

Riders I see are just starting to get updated... And the CL appears to have replaced the m7 for the most part. 

Really the major change for me is that for the acts that really care (and we are pretty down market, not a lot of bands you have heard of), they are doing the split with their own monitors thing, or bringing their own console completely. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Brett

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »

Thanks for the input so far. Over the last few years, I've for sure started to see bands doing the budget in-ear rig, especially country acts. I'm still seeing M7's on some riders, but usually during the advance, they're happier with a CL. I personally love the Avid stuff as I spent years on them, but knowing Avid, it's only a matter of time until support stops. I was still leaning towards them, mainly due to the ease of use in regards to Waves Plugins.

I've just recently learned you can do waves plugins with the CL series, granted it's a bit strange to have a separate sever and macbook for plugin control.

The Vi series is sexier, but it seems as a venue, I keep coming back to CL's. Also, my audio vendor who provides labor is a big yamaha dealer and user. So if I get a newbie, they've likely had experience on the CL stuff and would be lost on anything Avid, Soundcraft, Digico, Midas etc.

jason misterka

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »

The Vi series is sexier, but it seems as a venue, I keep coming back to CL's. Also, my audio vendor who provides labor is a big yamaha dealer and user. So if I get a newbie, they've likely had experience on the CL stuff and would be lost on anything Avid, Soundcraft, Digico, Midas etc.

The most important thing as a house is that your guys are 110% on any console you buy. You would be suprised how little *SOME* touring techs know about the desks they use and/or request. Your techs skill will save the show more often than you might think, especially scene management.

We don't have any CL consoles but I'd love to have a pair. However we still have a lone M7 we pull out the six times a year it still "has to be a Yamaha only".

As for the future.  Who knows. dLive is pretty cool so we will see. I like Midas PRO but not everyone does.  Prob I am seeing more Digico on tours than any other single brand these days at our level.

However, at their prices, it is hard for a large regional company to make sense, they really need to be working four days a week to pay for themselves.  Not sure how that plays at a venue.

Jason

MikeHarris

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 04:56:20 AM »

Maybe we have yet to see that console of the future. I believe we will see a PM5D replacement at a tier above the CL5 but below a PM10. The existing Rio boxes are 96k capable...but used only 48k with the existing CL consoles.
The S3L is a toy..we have had no interest in the S6L. One of our clients is anxiously awaiting the dLive aps to complete their DM64 based monitor system. While there seems to be a number of SD10's in the market not all are paying their own way..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 04:56:20 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.