ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing between Alto monitors  (Read 11008 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Choosing between Alto monitors
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:45:40 AM »

I like a few others here have had very good like with the coaxial sxm112a.  A versatile, light and rugged box it is honest and does what it is supposed to do if you don't ask too much of it.

With that being said, I want to see how the Alto 2 way boxes do.  The new TS210's are out and the folks on the other side of the pond that already have them have good things to say. 

However an interesting thing has happened, Alto is closing out the Black series.  For $70 more per box you can pickup the Black series.  The Black's look like a solid product, the wireless DSP control is an interesting option.  The Black's clearly will get louder than the TS's, could come in handy for other roles.  The only downside is they are heavy, twice as heavy as the TS210's.  I already haul around 50lb monitors.

If you were faced with this decision, a few extra bucks and a lot heavier for a much better speaker what would you do?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Choosing between Alto monitors
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 02:45:24 AM »

If I was buying them just as monitors, I would get the SXM112A, but for dual use, the TS112A or the new TS212 might be a better option.

The SXM does have a pole mount but it's an odd looking thing on its side on a strand!

We have the older TS212As as our band's pub PA and they are much better than I ever thought they would be.

I am probably going to get a pair of the TS212s for myself as I have just picked up an Alto TSSUB15 from a friend in exchange for a couple of mic stands, a mic and a few lead repairs.  I will probably get a second sub too.

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:48:44 AM by Steve M Smith »

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:53:18 AM »

I had both the SXM112a and TS110a here which I a/b'd for monitoring purposes. I personally preferred the TS110a's. The TS110a's went noticeably louder and a little deeper with a more open and detailed sound.
I've been used no the TS110a's for a couple of years now and they have been great for various multipurpose duties. They get used as wedge monitors primarily but also get used for speeches at conferences and as keyboard/guitar amps (with amp modeller).
I've tried the TS212a and whilst it's a very impressive speaker for the money I preferred my slightly more expensive FBT's. However, I'm keen to try the TS210a's myself at some point as ideally I'd like a little more power so I could use them for FOH on very small acoustic gigs.
I was put off the Alto Black 10's due to their weight and only having one handle on the top. Whilst this wouldn't necessarily be an issue if they are purely being used for monitors, they would be a little awkward for putting on stands without a handle on the side to grip.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »

However an interesting thing has happened, Alto is closing out the Black series.

Do you have a source for this?  The folks on the Alto forums say otherwise.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »

Do you have a source for this?  The folks on the Alto forums say otherwise.
Just the deep pricing discounts. 

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 11:22:19 AM »

If I was buying them just as monitors, I would get the SXM112A, but for dual use, the TS112A or the new TS212 might be a better option.

The SXM does have a pole mount but it's an odd looking thing on its side on a strand!

We have the older TS212As as our band's pub PA and they are much better than I ever thought they would be.

I am probably going to get a pair of the TS212s for myself as I have just picked up an Alto TSSUB15 from a friend in exchange for a couple of mic stands, a mic and a few lead repairs.  I will probably get a second sub too.

Steve.
I thought the ts212 was the new model.  Didn't know there were older ones.  I already have the sxm's and am very happy with them. 

I didn't notice the single handle on the blacks.  That is another downside.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Get real
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »

I thought the ts212 was the new model.  Didn't know there were older ones.  I already have the sxm's and am very happy with them. 

I didn't notice the single handle on the blacks.  That is another downside.

Uh... you may want to revisit your word choice.  I've never seen a stage curtain with a handle...

Everything is a compromise.  For the price/value and weight, I'd say "it's got a handle!  WOOT!"
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »

Just the deep pricing discounts. 

I'd love to grab a pair of the 15s on the cheap.  Got links to discounted price?  Everywhere I check has them at the usual prices.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:57 PM »

I'd love to grab a pair of the 15s on the cheap.  Got links to discounted price?  Everywhere I check has them at the usual prices.

I have never seen the 15's come up.  I was specifically speaking of the 10's being closed out by a number of the DJ type vendors.

I don't think we can post links.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »

I thought the ts212 was the new model.  Didn't know there were older ones. 

Sorry, I meant 112.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.