ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running a speaker to another building  (Read 3939 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Running a speaker to another building
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:08:31 AM »

Our assistant pastor lives in a trailer about 30 yards from our church.  He has been sick lately (elderly) and is not able to attend services.  We would like to put a speaker at his house, so that he can experience the service with us, without having to attend.  I know I could run a cable over to his house and plug into a speaker.  But is there another option?  Something wireless?  I’m pretty sure we have the Peavey 24FX II Mixer.  Or maybe not the “II” version.  But it’s very close to this.  If that helps.  Thank you for your help.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Running a speaker to another building
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »

Our assistant pastor lives in a trailer about 30 yards from our church.  But is there another option?  Something wireless? 
We have used wireless to do this type of work often.  Recently we installed a new totally wireless speaker system in a church using the Shure GLX-D systems.  We put one on each powered speaker and one in a building about 200' away.  The system works flawlessly.  How we ran it was to use and AUX out on the mixer and using a 1/4" cable to the wireless transmitter.  Put the wireless receiver in the next building hooked to a powered speaker and you are done.

The wireless system was around $280 - 320 if I remember correctly.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »

We have used wireless to do this type of work often.  Recently we installed a new totally wireless speaker system in a church using the Shure GLX-D systems.  We put one on each powered speaker and one in a building about 200' away.  The system works flawlessly.  How we ran it was to use and AUX out on the mixer and using a 1/4" cable to the wireless transmitter.  Put the wireless receiver in the next building hooked to a powered speaker and you are done.

The wireless system was around $280 - 320 if I remember correctly.

Bill

Bill, the issues I've had with GLXD is the range and latency.  It's great you can get 200' between buildings going through walls -- that's outperforming Shure specs.  I did have a wireless access point nearby, so that could have been a factor.  I noticed delay compared to PGXD and ULXD  (GLXD works on 2.4GHz, so not surprising.)  But may not be an issue for the OP's application if the Pastor is just monitoring.

Personally I've had better luck with the cheaper PGX-D system.

On the other hand, 30 yards is not a whole lot of distance to bury a balanced (i.e. XLR, mic) cable.  Just be sure to use the right cable (direct burial or "flooded.")

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:09:13 AM »

Guys I am slightly confused.  Let me see if I am understanding correctly (in dummy terms).

You are saying I should get a wireless microphone system.  Put the microphone in the church so that I can pick up the sound of the service.  And put the receiver in the other building.  And connect a powered speaker to the receiver?

Am I correct?

I think I may be missing the transmitter part.  Is there something besides a mic? Sorry for the confusion.  My level is novice/intermediate.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:13:29 PM »

Isaac,

You're pretty close and on the right track. But, instead of using a handheld wireless microphone for the transmitter, they're suggesting you either use an aux cable from your system into a wireless bodypack for the transmission, or even utilize a IEM transmitter 1/2rack space unit. The first option is going to be cheaper...

If I was doing this with Shure gear, it'd be XLR from your mixer/source to TA4F (goes into the bodypack), then that gets mounted somewhere with a PS9US power supply (replaces a 9V battery in the body pack so you don't have to change batteries)-- that transmits to the receiver at the AP's apartment, which then feeds into a speaker.

Hope this helps!

-Ray

(disclaimer: I'm a dealer for both Shure and Sennheiser wireless solutions.)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »

If he is not well, his and the service's schedules may not sync well.  Why not simply record it (video) and let him play it back at his convenience so he can see it on his schedule?

David

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »

David, great idea. I had thought of that, too.  I'm getting together a few different options, so that I can present them to the people that asked me to look into this. 

Thank you for the clarification, Ray. 

So I could get one of these:

Shure PGXD14/93 Digital Wireless System

And not worry about using the lavalier mic that comes with it and just plug the transmitter directly into my mixer via a TA4F connector.  And then put the receiver in the AP's house and attach a speaker to it.

Is that correct?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »

So I could get one of these:

Shure PGXD14/93 Digital Wireless System

And not worry about using the lavalier mic that comes with it and just plug the transmitter directly into my mixer via a TA4F connector.  And then put the receiver in the AP's house and attach a speaker to it.

Is that correct?

Pretty close. That system comes with a lav capsule to TA4F -- all you REALLY need is the PGXD14 system, that has the PGXD4 receiver, the PGXD1 bodypack and the WA302 instrument cable, which goes from 1/4" to the TA4F on the bodypack. The system you referred to doesn't have the WA302 cable in it that you would need.

MAP on the PGXD14 is $429.00 versus the $469.00 for the /93 system you mentioned that doesn't have the right cable in it. You'd be paying for that lav capsule that you don't need, unless you want to have it for other use in the future--

Any good Shure dealer would get you a bit better on that pricing as well. ;) I'd still certainly suggest you get the PS9US power supply as well.

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:58:44 AM »

That makes sense, Ray. Thanks for clearing that up.  Thank you everyone for your help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:58:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.