ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stone 512 controller ..... Any experience??  (Read 6574 times)

Sndguy (Joel Ashcraft)

• Classic LAB
    • Midnight Blue online
Stone 512 controller ..... Any experience??
« on: April 20, 2016, 10:42:06 PM »

So last year I bought this Stone 512 DMX controller from someone on eBay and figured since I got a manual with it, I'd be fine.
Well, first off, I'm no lighting programmer.  I can work a DMX operator, and I've pushed buttons and faders on an Avo Titan Mobile and can make some things happen (no programming, just basic operations).
Anyhow, this manual is about 5 pages, and totally worthless.
My wonder is, does anyone have any knowledge of this controller, and is it worth messing with?  I paid good money for it, but I haven't ever even gotten any light to come on, playing with every switch, knob, fader or key.

Thoughts, suggestions?  I have movers, led pars, led bars, foggers, but this controller.....I can't do anything - not even turn one light on. It's very confusing reading this worthless manual, and I cannot find a better (or any) manual online.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:45:50 PM by Sndguy (Joel Ashcraft) »

Garrett Syfrett

Re: Stone 512 controller ..... Any experience??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:14:25 PM »

I did some research and the only thing I could find was a few stores that carried it. is it made by Omez group? is there anyway to contact them? from the looks it seems like a solid console. I'm wondering if there's a hard blackout switch or something in a setup menu that isn't assigned properly. That's about as much as I could get out of a 5 min google search and past experience. I normally have better luck with it hands on.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:26:54 PM »

I did some research and the only thing I could find was a few stores

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25:33 PM »

...is it worth messing with?... 

I vote a solid 'no'.  The fact that half the board is printed in Chinese (I presume) along with next to no documentation is telling enough of what lies ahead.

I paid good money for it, but I haven't ever even gotten any light to come on, playing with every switch, knob, fader or key.

I don't doubt that you paid good money for this.  The unfortunate thing is that since half the board is in a foreign language and you don't have a useful manual means that it'll be very difficult to figure out what features you even paid for let alone figure out how to use them!  The fact that several faders (that I presume control moving light attributes) are pre-labeled doesn't give me a good feeling either.  Sorry to be the teller of bad news and I apologize if this comes off rather blunt, but I'd try to resell the board if at all possible and buy one with a higher pedigree.  I'm an ETC Cobalt user myself, but there are plenty of options out there in all price ranges with much more documentation, youtube tutorials, etc., that'll probably end up being money much better spent.  Hope it all works out for you!

-Jeff

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:14:27 AM »

I vote a solid 'no'.  The fact that half the board is printed in Chinese (I presume) along with next to no documentation is telling enough of what lies ahead.

I don't doubt that you paid good money for this.  The unfortunate thing is that since half the board is in a foreign language and you don't have a useful manual means that it'll be very difficult to figure out what features you even paid for let alone figure out how to use them!  The fact that several faders (that I presume control moving light attributes) are pre-labeled doesn't give me a good feeling either.  Sorry to be the teller of bad news and I apologize if this comes off rather blunt, but I'd try to resell the board if at all possible and buy one with a higher pedigree.  I'm an ETC Cobalt user myself, but there are plenty of options out there in all price ranges with much more documentation, youtube tutorials, etc., that'll probably end up being money much better spent.  Hope it all works out for you!

-Jeff
+1 - this is a bag of hurt that will keep hurting. 

Joel - I'm curious what attracted you to this board?

The highest value mover-capable desk right now is a Martin M-PC with a touch-screen laptop.  Total cost will be ~$1500 depending on what laptop you pick, and it is very well supported, feature rich, and very reliable.  The M-Touch surface solves the problem of fader position not matching values as you switch pages - a VERY cool thing that in other products requires you to have a console with moving faders - something still EXTREMELY expensive in the lighting world.

Martin has made a very cool product that was built from the ground up for Windows 10 and touch.  It's a modern platform that will have a lot of legs.  Be aware that any powerful desk has a significant learning curve, but in the case of M-PC, there are hours of YouTube video tutorials to get you running.

There are other good choices too, but they cost more $$$$.

Sndguy (Joel Ashcraft)

• Classic LAB
    • Midnight Blue online
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:14:48 PM »

At first, this board was to be for a our local downtown events, to replace some DMX operator type consoles. I found this one from someone in Chicago, on eBay. It came with a very short guide, which wasnt at all helpful, once I started in on it. My two lighting guys, who are subcontractors, basically said, "I'm sorry, I don't have time to try and learn this, and it doesn't ring any bells."

Anyhow, I thought someone might have some experience, and could offer me some help. Currently, we use the Avolites Titan one and both of those guys have Titan Mobiles when they are on my jobs.
I am no programmer, so the Avo gets me painted into corners, and although this Stone unit is really an issue (it's sat the whole time I've had it). I've never been able to pass DMX out of it at all, so it's been a bit of a conundrum. Do I learn something about it, try and make it work for something? Or pass it on to someone who's got the time and energy to try and make it work?

It looked when I first saw it to be specific to some sort of fixtures, but I can see in the menus that those things can be adjusted to other values, I just couldn't figure it out.

I'm not wasting any more time on it though, I just hate to lose to a piece of gear. I've never had anything I couldn't somewhat manipulate and make work.

I guess I've met my match.

Thanks for your reply.  I may look into the Martin, just to see if it's easier for me than the Avo.
Joel

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:30:27 AM »

At first, this board was to be for a our local downtown events, to replace some DMX operator type consoles. I found this one from someone in Chicago, on eBay. It came with a very short guide, which wasnt at all helpful, once I started in on it. My two lighting guys, who are subcontractors, basically said, "I'm sorry, I don't have time to try and learn this, and it doesn't ring any bells."

Anyhow, I thought someone might have some experience, and could offer me some help. Currently, we use the Avolites Titan one and both of those guys have Titan Mobiles when they are on my jobs.
I am no programmer, so the Avo gets me painted into corners, and although this Stone unit is really an issue (it's sat the whole time I've had it). I've never been able to pass DMX out of it at all, so it's been a bit of a conundrum. Do I learn something about it, try and make it work for something? Or pass it on to someone who's got the time and energy to try and make it work?

It looked when I first saw it to be specific to some sort of fixtures, but I can see in the menus that those things can be adjusted to other values, I just couldn't figure it out.

I'm not wasting any more time on it though, I just hate to lose to a piece of gear. I've never had anything I couldn't somewhat manipulate and make work.

I guess I've met my match.

Thanks for your reply.  I may look into the Martin, just to see if it's easier for me than the Avo.
Joel

A buddy of mine took a look at the picture and said it 'looks like a gussied up Sunny 512'

Maybe you can make sense of it from this:

http://www.te-lighting.com/eng/supports/specifi/TE-SUNY512%20DMX%20Conctroller.pdf

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 08:50:39 AM »

From a online seller.  If the "manual" reads like this, good luck.
"Description:

Stone 512 DMX512 Controller

1.Shell : shell for aluminum , total iron shell or the temperature of high-strength engineering plastic PC enclosure . Lens (film) : ultra-high light transmission rate of the lens (film) . Other internal material : made ​​of imported materials . International standard DMX512 signal .
 2 , style : more than 10 series over 200 kinds of products, to undertake foreign orders . Physical picture to see the company website
 3, Packing: fully enclosed separately packaged . Wrap using glue on behalf of the entire lamp , glue on behalf of outside fully enclosed styrofoam loading two pit carton paper outside with a wooden frame fixed , loss prevention, ease of handling . Packaging materials : plastic bags, styrofoam two pit cartons , wooden stand. Recommended air box packaging

Focus on not only the quality, we will be professional , in good faith to do service !"

Sndguy (Joel Ashcraft)

• Classic LAB
    • Midnight Blue online
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 12:05:05 AM »

From a online seller.  If the "manual" reads like this, good luck.
"Description:

Stone 512 DMX512 Controller

1.Shell : shell for aluminum , total iron shell or the temperature of high-strength engineering plastic PC enclosure . Lens (film) : ultra-high light transmission rate of the lens (film) . Other internal material : made ​​of imported materials . International standard DMX512 signal .
 2 , style : more than 10 series over 200 kinds of products, to undertake foreign orders . Physical picture to see the company website
 3, Packing: fully enclosed separately packaged . Wrap using glue on behalf of the entire lamp , glue on behalf of outside fully enclosed styrofoam loading two pit carton paper outside with a wooden frame fixed , loss prevention, ease of handling . Packaging materials : plastic bags, styrofoam two pit cartons , wooden stand. Recommended air box packaging

Focus on not only the quality, we will be professional , in good faith to do service !"

That's funny.   That actually makes more sense than the guide I received.

J Levene

• The Basement
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »

So last year I bought this Stone 512 DMX controller from someone on eBay and figured since I got a manual with it, I'd be fine.
Well, first off, I'm no lighting programmer.  I can work a DMX operator, and I've pushed buttons and faders on an Avo Titan Mobile and can make some things happen (no programming, just basic operations).
Anyhow, this manual is about 5 pages, and totally worthless.
My wonder is, does anyone have any knowledge of this controller, and is it worth messing with?  I paid good money for it, but I haven't ever even gotten any light to come on, playing with every switch, knob, fader or key.

Thoughts, suggestions?  I have movers, led pars, led bars, foggers, but this controller.....I can't do anything - not even turn one light on. It's very confusing reading this worthless manual, and I cannot find a better (or any) manual online.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stay clear, these guys copy firmware from other desk manufacturers  (see their Avolites copies for example).  The other manufacturers have put in code to cause these copy desks to crash, even without the code, they are still prone to crashing as the firmware was not written for their architecture.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »

It looks to me like the key is in the "accessory" position instead of "run".
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 12:07:09 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.