ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions about controlling mixer wirelessly  (Read 2020 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
A few questions about controlling mixer wirelessly
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:51:52 PM »

1. Allen & Heath mentions in the QU series manual that your WIFI router or wireless access point should not be placed on top of a speaker. However, they don't say why. Do you think it is because it would possibly be too high for direct line of sight, could it have something to do with proximity of a magnetic field, or perhaps heat related?

2. If I would upgrade from my current consumer router to a wireless access point (WAP), would I still need a switch of some sort in the loop or can I just run a single cat5 cable from the mixer straight to the WAP and that's it? I only want to control my mixer with my tablet and perhaps allow the band to use their smart phones for monitor control.

3. Does it matter which way the WAP or router is oriented? In other words, does the transmitted WIFI signal (5Ghz) have a different horizontal pattern than vertical pattern or is it spherical in nature?

Thanks in advance.
Member since 2005.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: A few questions about controlling mixer wirelessly
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »

2. ...would I still need a switch of some sort in the loop or can I just run a single cat5 cable from the mixer straight to the WAP and that's it?...

You can connect it directly. But you'll need to manually set the IP addresses of the mixer and tablet. A consumer router has a DHCP server in it which automatically assigns IP addresses.

The Qu series has a neat feature that's only available when using DHCP and a DNS server is present, such as a router. Any Qu mixers on the local network will show up in the Qu app when you start it. Otherwise you have to select "Other..." and manually enter the IP of the mixer into the app to connect. It also takes 1 extra click every time the app has been disconnected from the mixer in order to reconnect. I typically prefer to manually address everything I have but for the sake of more quickly connecting, I use a router and DHCP for the Qu series. 

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: A few questions about controlling mixer wirelessly
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.