ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG 460B with CK1 mic element.  (Read 2464 times)

Kevin Maxwell

AKG 460B with CK1 mic element.
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:39:06 am »

AKG 460B with CK1 mic element. I have a pair of these that I donít regularly use for anything, I have always thought they were too expensive a mic to use for a rock band or with amateurs.

I have what is probably a very strange question. For SMAART I have an Earth Works/Rational acoustics S30 mic. I want to get into using multiple mics and I am not in a positon at the moment to spend much money. So I am going to test and see what would happen if I were to tape over the rear ports on the CK1 heads. I know that blocking the rear ports on a cardioid mic generally turns them into Omnis. But would it turn it into an Omni that would work as a measurement mic. Has anyone on here ever tried this to a mic like this? Is the Omni version of this mic capsule basically the same diaphragm element internally?   

I am planning on testing this by putting the S30 into one input and a 460B into the other input on the test rig (put them head to head aimed relatively close to a speaker with pink noise playing) and see how they compare. And I was thinking if they are close enough then I would learn how to do a mic correction curve. I may get a chance to try this today at a musical I am working on if I show up early enough to play around before anyone else arrives. I will report my findings if I can try this out.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: AKG 460B with CK1 mic element.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:59:51 am »

AKG 460B with CK1 mic element. I have a pair of these that I donít regularly use for anything, I have always thought they were too expensive a mic to use for a rock band or with amateurs.

I have what is probably a very strange question. For SMAART I have an Earth Works/Rational acoustics S30 mic. I want to get into using multiple mics and I am not in a positon at the moment to spend much money. So I am going to test and see what would happen if I were to tape over the rear ports on the CK1 heads. I know that blocking the rear ports on a cardioid mic generally turns them into Omnis. But would it turn it into an Omni that would work as a measurement mic. Has anyone on here ever tried this to a mic like this? Is the Omni version of this mic capsule basically the same diaphragm element internally?   

I am planning on testing this by putting the S30 into one input and a 460B into the other input on the test rig (put them head to head aimed relatively close to a speaker with pink noise playing) and see how they compare. And I was thinking if they are close enough then I would learn how to do a mic correction curve. I may get a chance to try this today at a musical I am working on if I show up early enough to play around before anyone else arrives. I will report my findings if I can try this out.

Use them on rock bands. They are a nice OH or Hat mic as well as acoustic instruments. They are not a measurement mic. Get a couple of Rational Acoustics RTA 420s and call it a day. At $90 each you couldn't find a better place to spend your money.

Mac

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:27:33 pm »

Use them on rock bands. They are a nice OH or Hat mic as well as acoustic instruments. They are not a measurement mic. Get a couple of Rational Acoustics RTA 420s and call it a day. At $90 each you couldn't find a better place to spend your money.

Mac

I was thinking of getting a couple of those. But this is now more a question of curiosity.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:13:31 pm »

Mac

This.

Also, the flattest non-measurement mic in your locker is going to be the SM81. Try that coincident mic-to-mic xfer function between your earthworks and an 81. 

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:04:12 am »

This.

Also, the flattest non-measurement mic in your locker is going to be the SM81. Try that coincident mic-to-mic xfer function between your earthworks and an 81.

I saw your reply and realized that I never followed up and posted the results of my test. Without the ports covered the 460B with the CK1 head positioned head to head with the Earthworks S30 they measured incredible even. With the rear ports covered they didnít measure similar at all. I know you arenít supposed to use a directional mic for measurement so I am back to looking at what mic would work for me to add to my collection that is cheap enough and good enough. I am not thrilled with the graph on some of the lesser expensive mics. So I may just get another Earthworks S30.

But in the back of my head is this. I have always been under the impression that after a certain distance a cardioid mic is going to pick up everything around it. It loses its directionality and it got me wondering if the 460B would work outdoors. Maybe that is an experiment for another day.

No SM81s in the locker we do have a Beta 91. I tested an EV 635 that is supposed to be omni and they are not flat.

Mark Oakley

• Oakley Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:07:22 pm »

Get a couple of Rational Acoustics RTA 420s and call it a day. At $90 each you couldn't find a better place to spend your money.

I bought a pair of RTA-420's with calibration files as my first measurement mics. Couldn't be happier with them.

-Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.