ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?  (Read 25055 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2016, 02:13:17 AM »

I was planning to install a switch on the data lines to allow the board to be isolated from the XLR/wired-DMX.  It might be better just to use the switch to control power to the board.

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, another plugpack-free option might have been to use the xlr-dongles but run a little DC power cable out from inside each light case.

The XLR dongles seem a little clumsier to me and they are awful heavy, especially if the fixture has inexpensive XLR's that will get loose after awhile.

When the fixtures stop responding to commands it is important to know what is going on and quickly respond to it.  It is not for the techs I send 4 bars out with but most guys get it.  I equipped 4 fixtures to start.  I use one to drive a bar of 4 or 6. 

The XLR dongles interoperate so I use those for movers on totems or stage floor or any isolated fixture.  I love plopping down my Magic (an earlier version of the Show Designer) on a high top in a club with an iPad for the mix and one for effects.  It's perfect for these scenarios.  I will be loading trucks after work tomorrow and will take a few pictures.  I think I have pictures of the work inside too.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »

These are the ones I have ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-DMX512-PCB-Modules-Board-LED-Controller-Transmitter-Receiver-E3-001-/171373503619?hash=item27e6a82483:g:yBQAAOSwEK9TsUTX

I'm just trying to avoid the plug-pack jungle.

It'll be about a month before they are here and fitted into my lights.

So that I understand... you are not connecting to "A" light directly, but rather building a receiving port for a group of lights.  The port is connected to the light(s) via a cable length to suite your set-up?

The unit you are buying appears to not have a power supply, or an XLR dongle or connector.  Is that correct?  The picture of the 1-pc dongle confuses matters when the "includes" list says "1 pcs".
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:55:29 AM by David Allred »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »

So that I understand... you are not connecting to "A" light directly, but rather building a receiving port for a group of lights.  The port is connected to the light(s) via a cable length to suite your set-up?

The unit you are buying appears to not have a power supply, or an XLR dongle or connector.  Is that correct?  The picture of the 1-pc dongle confuses matters when the "includes" list says "1 pcs".

No, the board is installed in the first light in the chain, then cables from that point.  Logical groupings are used, so one fixture on each truss or T-Bar is wireless.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »

No, the board is installed in the first light in the chain, then cables from that point.  Logical groupings are used, so one fixture on each truss or T-Bar is wireless.

So does that mean that 5vdc is available standard in most lights, or does a power supply have to be installed as well?

David Buckley

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 09:40:16 PM »

So does that mean that 5vdc is available standard in most lights, or does a power supply have to be installed as well?
Many moving lights have a standard 5V/12V dual output PSU in them.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 01:10:54 AM »

Many moving lights have a standard 5V/12V dual output PSU in them.

Since the lights are controlled by TTL logic one can assume that a +5V rail will be present.

You need to be careful where you pluck the voltage from.  You need to take it from a supply rail.   You can't just grab it from anywhere, with TTL logic you are going to measure 5V all over the circuit.

Usually the power supply is a discrete board so you can just follow the land from the interconnect of the PS board to the logic board and find a good pick point.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Lyle Williams

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »

Got the little PCBs.  They work well.

Having thought through things a bit more, I'm going to build half a dozen into separate enclosures with internal power supplies, DMX in/out and IEC in/out.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »

I was thinking of getting some too. I was thinking of putting a little 5v supply in a few of the fixtures with a small connector to the outside and mounting the wireless in a project box and just sticking it to the fixture with Velcro.
That way I haven't added anything that I cannot remove cleanly if I need the fixture serviced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lyle Williams

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »

My plan (parts are in the mail) is a project box with a velcro loop attached.

IEC power sockets in and out, with a 50cm IEC/IEC out lead left permanently with each box.

3-pin XLR DMX sockets in and out, with a 50cm DMX cable left permanently with each box.

5v/2a switchmode power supply inside the project box, powering wireless DMX board via a momentary off pushbutton switch.

Wireless DMX board mounted in project box with nylon standoffs and screws.

About $35/ea in parts.  Could have been a lot cheaper with captive power and DMX cables run through grommets. 

Lyle Williams

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »

My plan (parts are in the mail) is a project box with a velcro loop attached.

IEC power sockets in and out, with a 50cm IEC/IEC out lead left permanently with each box.

3-pin XLR DMX sockets in and out, with a 50cm DMX cable left permanently with each box.

5v/2a switchmode power supply inside the project box, powering wireless DMX board via a momentary off pushbutton switch.

Wireless DMX board mounted in project box with nylon standoffs and screws.

About $35/ea in parts.  Could have been a lot cheaper with captive power and DMX cables run through grommets.

Built and tested.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.