ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on real world Power requirements & config for subs  (Read 4278 times)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Advice on real world Power requirements & config for subs
« on: March 07, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I would like the opinions and recommendations from the Pros so I can get my head around on what proper amount of power is required for real world usage. Use would be primarily recorded EDM/Dance Music, some mobile events, eventually a permanent install.

Example:
Danley TH118 - 3400 Program
JTR Orbit Shifter - 4000 Program

If I wanted to power a pair with a Powersoft K10 DSP, would it be better to have 4ohm subs or the 8 ohm subs. Could possibly add another pair (or run a second amp). Or would a smaller amp be better use of resources?
K10 specs:
8 ohm - 2000w/ch
4 ohm - 4000w/ch
2 ohm - 6000w/ch
Peak output voltage - 200
Peak output current - 125 A

Can the K10 be run off of a regular 20a or 30a power outlet?

Thank You,

Lance Hallmark
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Advice on real world Power requirements & config for subs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:35:12 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I would like the opinions and recommendations from the Pros so I can get my head around on what proper amount of power is required for real world usage. Use would be primarily recorded EDM/Dance Music, some mobile events, eventually a permanent install.

Example:

If I wanted to power a pair with a Powersoft K10 DSP, would it be better to have 4ohm subs or the 8 ohm subs. Could possibly add another pair (or run a second amp). Or would a smaller amp be better use of resources?
K10 specs:
8 ohm - 2000w/ch
4 ohm - 4000w/ch
2 ohm - 6000w/ch

Thank You,

Lance Hallmark
For EDM music with that amp-I would suggest the 8 ohm version.

Mainly because the power will be limited by the amp-and having to rely so much on the user setting the limiters properly.

Since that type of music usually goes on for long periods of time-(longer than the test signals used in determining the power handling) and never stops or takes a break (like a live act would), the drivers will heat up much more.

Also (assuming the amp can dissipate the heat), you could run more cabinets per amp channel.

Also there will be half as much loss over the speaker cable and the damping factor will be twice as high with the 8 ohm speaker.

How much-it depends on the length and size of the speaker cable.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:14:56 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Example:

K10 specs:
8 ohm - 2000w/ch
4 ohm - 4000w/ch
2 ohm - 6000w/ch

Thank You,

Lance Hallmark

For EDM, I would power them at or near the RMS rating. The 8-ohm version would give you 2kw per cab, which would be perfect. 4kw would only net you an additional 3dB, but you would have a much higher risk of failure if the limiters weren't set properly.

Have you already purchased the K10? If not, you might want to look at the new Danley DNA series amplifiers. You could probably save some money, and you would have a preset designed by Danley, specifically for the TH118.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 08:05:04 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Example:

K10 specs:
8 ohm - 2000w/ch
4 ohm - 4000w/ch
2 ohm - 6000w/ch

Thank You,

Lance Hallmark
For EDM (DJ, pre-recorded music etc), you may want to power the speakers with amplifiers rated very close to the continuous power rating of the speaker, not the RMS rating.  Powering them with the RMS rating may end up overheating the speakers.  There's only a 3db difference between the continuous and the RMS ratings, but it's enough to damage the speakers at the RMS level (if the speakers are run continuously at the RMS level).

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »

For EDM (DJ, pre-recorded music etc), you may want to power the speakers with amplifiers rated very close to the continuous power rating of the speaker, not the RMS rating.  Powering them with the RMS rating may end up overheating the speakers.  There's only a 3db difference between the continuous and the RMS ratings, but it's enough to damage the speakers at the RMS level (if the speakers are run continuously at the RMS level).
There is no such thing as RMS power-but many relate the "RMS" to the continuous as both being the same thing.

Program is generally considered to be 3dB higher that either of those and peak is 3dB higher still.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:52 PM »

Powering them with the RMS rating may end up overheating the speakers.
Confused Bob.. how do you figure powering to the continuous rating is safer if the drivers are in danger of burning up at 3dB(or is it 6dB now) less than that?

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 10:25:22 PM »

There is no such thing as RMS power-but many relate the "RMS" to the continuous as both being the same thing.

Program is generally considered to be 3dB higher that either of those and peak is 3dB higher still.
Good point!  I rarely use the term "program" power.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:28:56 PM »

Confused Bob.. how do you figure powering to the continuous rating is safer if the drivers are in danger of burning up at 3dB(or is it 6dB now) less than that?
Sorry for the confusion.  "Continuous" (or RMS) rating - i.e. the lowest rating of the speaker - should be used for EDM.  The "program" power (or as I eluded to - RMS) would probably be too much power for continuous use.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »

For EDM, I would power them at or near the RMS rating. The 8-ohm version would give you 2kw per cab, which would be perfect. 4kw would only net you an additional 3dB, but you would have a much higher risk of failure if the limiters weren't set properly.

Have you already purchased the K10? If not, you might want to look at the new Danley DNA series amplifiers. You could probably save some money, and you would have a preset designed by Danley, specifically for the TH118.

Thank You for the replies everyone. Haven't purchased anything yet for my new system, sometime in the next 6 months is the plan. Trying to do my homework to learn the correct setup and why it is so.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Example:

K10 specs:
8 ohm - 2000w/ch
4 ohm - 4000w/ch
2 ohm - 6000w/ch

Thank You,

Lance Hallmark

Hi Lance,

I've used Powersoft K3's before with 4-Ohm TH118's. I feel like we could've use a little more peak output capability for things like kick drum and other percussive instruments. I would recommend using the 4 Ohm TH118 and get the Powersoft K10.  Run one cabinet per channel and double up when needed.  Use the "True Power" limiter in the amp (this might be a DSP only option) to protect the speakers.  The TP limiter actually measures/calculates the power delivered to the loudspeaker long term and adjusts accordingly.  Set it to 50% of the RMS power of the speaker and it's damn near bulletproof.  I had no issues leaving DJs alone with the rig while the True Power limiter was in place.  And on EDM music, it was the TP limiter and not the peak limiter getting tripped first (since the music is already compressed).

As to your second question. Yes, the K10 should be able to run off of 20A or 30A circuits just fine.  There's actually a setting in the amplifier to optimize it for the size power circuit that you're running on.  They are also very forgiving of low voltage situations and are incredibly efficient.

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:16:49 PM by Jeffrey Knorr - CobraSound.com »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 25 queries.