ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Si Fader caps/knobs and Random shut off issue. *UPDATE*  (Read 12370 times)

Mike Santarelli

I need a replacement fader cap/knob Si Impact - I'll explain below.

I did post before and contacted soundcraft about issues I was having with my SI Impact.  First off it's a great sounding board and easy to use.

It has done a random shutdown/black-out four times now.  After the third time I updated the firmware and thought I was good to go.  Last night we were playing house music through it while setting up.  Thought the breaker blew but nope, just the board randomly shutting off. The good news is that it ran for the rest of the 4 hour gig no issues.

All faders, lights and display go black and there is pop from the speakers when this happens.  If you listen, the console still sounds like it's powered on.

This is the closest thing I could find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_Ug1d9xgU

Well anyway, I set the board up on my dining room table and powered it up to see if it would happen again.  Thinking it was safe, I proceeded to do other things while my 3 year old had some fun with the faders.  The cap cannot be found.

Anyone know of a good source for these or what will work.  I did email Soundcraft.

Thanks for your input
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:40:12 PM by Mike Santarelli »

Kyle Marriott

Re: Soundcraft Si Fader caps/knobs and Random shut off issue.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »

We had this issue on an Si Ex - basically the top area of the desk casing can be shorted by even a very slightly bent or damaged rotary encoder (mon level and FX parameter seem easiest to do this to) and this short causes immediate power down. If the desk has taken a knock in case or similar then it may need a repair - ours took two trips back to service centre to be fully resolved, and to be safe we flipped it to an install after soak testing it to avoid a repeat issue.

Yes this is a stupid design flaw and unfortunately it is very hard to spot visually - we only found how to reproduce the fault after extensive fiddling in the warehouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Santarelli

Re: Soundcraft Si Fader caps/knobs and Random shut off issue. *UPDATE*
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »

After talking with Soundcraft I sent my Si Impact out today for service.  I was having issues with it blacking out with no sound; basically shutting off.  It happened 5 or 6 times and seemed to be random.  I could not replicate the issue and all firmware was up to date. 

It is having a resistor changed/swapped.  From what I was told there is a certain serial number range with issues and it happens when the board changes between High and low power (not sure exactly what this means).  There was a glitch that would cause the boards to shutdown and the resistor is said to be the culprit.  The new resistor apparently keeps the board in full power mode at all times.  Hopefully this fixes the issue.  I have also read elsewhere that this needed to be done on some Si Expressions. 

Anyone else hear of this?

This is what I get for buying an early run.  Other than this issue the mixer has been great with no signs of a problem.

Jim Layton

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:39:10 AM »

After talking with Soundcraft I sent my Si Impact out today for service.  I was having issues with it blacking out with no sound; basically shutting off.  It happened 5 or 6 times and seemed to be random.  I could not replicate the issue and all firmware was up to date. 

It is having a resistor changed/swapped.  From what I was told there is a certain serial number range with issues and it happens when the board changes between High and low power (not sure exactly what this means).  There was a glitch that would cause the boards to shutdown and the resistor is said to be the culprit.  The new resistor apparently keeps the board in full power mode at all times.  Hopefully this fixes the issue.  I have also read elsewhere that this needed to be done on some Si Expressions. 

This is what I get for buying an early run.  Other than this issue the mixer has been great with no signs of a problem.

Have you seen this post? It also mentions the resistor issue and has an explanation.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/1050301-awful-experience-soundcraft-si-expression-3-a.html
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:58:25 AM »

Have you seen this post? It also mentions the resistor issue and has an explanation.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/1050301-awful-experience-soundcraft-si-expression-3-a.html

I did, thanks Jim!

His SiE 3 was locking up but still outputting sound.  Said he had the mod done but it didn't fix the issue.  Hoping since mine is blacking out and shutting off the mod will fix my console. 

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »

I've heard about this mod.  In fact I was told by soundcraft (based on serial numbers) that my console should have it done, but then when the service center opened it up, they said it had a later generation of PCB and didn't need the mod.  The service center also told me that the mod really only effects the lexicon processor.  This was for an SI Exp. 3 that seems to randomly get corrupt snapshots and when you fire a corrupt snapshot, the whole console freezes.  Audio does still pass, but there is nothing else you can do but restart.  They've since released a newer firmware, but due to complete lack of faith and no responses from soundcraft, I haven't used the console or tested with the new firmware yet.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:16:10 AM by Michael Thompson »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »

He ate it!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:26:06 PM »

I'm worried this won't solve the problem and I'll waste money shipping this thing around.  Almost hate to say it but I almost wish I would have bought the x32.  I hear nothing but positives on music group handling issues not to mention covering shipping.

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »

I'm worried this won't solve the problem and I'll waste money shipping this thing around.  Almost hate to say it but I almost wish I would have bought the x32.  I hear nothing but positives on music group handling issues not to mention covering shipping.

I find myself liking the X32 and using it over my Si Expression 3.  The lack of timely software updates and application diversity (namely VISI Listen) drive me to purchase an X32 despite being Behringer hater and I can say it was one of the best music related purchases I have ever made.
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 11:51:28 AM »

I find myself liking the X32 and using it over my Si Expression 3.  The lack of timely software updates and application diversity (namely VISI Listen) drive me to purchase an X32 despite being Behringer hater and I can say it was one of the best music related purchases I have ever made.

One of our clients has the Soundcraft Ex3.  I mix on it occasionally and find myself liking the X32 more and more.  The X32 still has its frustrations and "gotchas" but it has a better mix of features and capabilities than the Soundcraft or the A-H Qu.

I too didn't want to like the X32.  I still have memories of the "resolved" allegations of IP appropriation, poor build quality and phenomenally poor customer service with lack of repair facilities.  I wanted the X32 to suck so I could say "I told you so."  But it didn't suck and value for the $ was very good.  While I don't consider the X32 to be redemptive at the corporate level it is a flexible, decent sounding desk with an attractive price.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 11:51:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.