ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: speaker type and placement advice  (Read 8785 times)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: speaker type and placement advice
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 04:22:43 PM »

I just looked at the martin site they have a picture that is very similar to the set up at the church that he is picturing looks like the same cab.
  1 on each side with a downfill centered
apparently the pattern is too tight to cover the room
With 1 martin cabinet ?

If it's the photo that I think it is it does not show 3 speakers, it shows 2.  The center device is a projector.  I do not know the details of that particular design and I also don't know the dimensions of that room.  I am guessing that the structure that is center for the projector (and whatever else it may be for) made it impossible to get a single center speaker in a good location.

I already posted what coverage will approximate in the OP's room with a single CDD12.
It should cover quite well.  It is also simple enough to model it.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »

O
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »

I am leaning towards getting a Martin demo.

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »

Hi everybody,

I was so inspired by the conversations in this post that I ended up writing an article about it.

Click here to read it.

Enjoy!

Merlijn

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »

Almost on subject.  We make assisted listening receivers with ear buds available.  I gave one to a guy who had not used them before and he said it was a bit distorted if he used one earphone.  I realized two things.  He was getting the earphone sound with no delay and his other ear was hearing the natural delay of about 70 feet.  Second, the elderly all sit in the back 1/4 of the church.  (No one knows why but apparently it is required.) so I delayed all the hearing assist.  He and a couple others commented that it was clearer.

BTW There is no reason for front fills to take care of the first row.  No one ever sits in the first row. (No one knows why but apparently it is required.)

Not to Code

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »

Almost on subject.  We make assisted listening receivers with ear buds available.  I gave one to a guy who had not used them before and he said it was a bit distorted if he used one earphone.  I realized two things.  He was getting the earphone sound with no delay and his other ear was hearing the natural delay of about 70 feet.  Second, the elderly all sit in the back 1/4 of the church.  (No one knows why but apparently it is required.) so I delayed all the hearing assist.  He and a couple others commented that it was clearer.

BTW There is no reason for front fills to take care of the first row.  No one ever sits in the first row. (No one knows why but apparently it is required.)
Back when I was in the install business-I would typically put a delay on the hearing impaired transmitter that was equal to about 1/2 the distance from the loudspeaker coverage of the front row to the rear row.

Then hopefully the delay for somebody seated anywhere would be minimized.

However in your case if the people using them are in one general area-that is a lot easier to get more accurate.

It is all a matter of compromise.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 11:14:51 PM »

It's because you don't charge admission.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Ervin Hyatt

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »

Looking for advice with speaker type trap or other, wave guide degree,  placement, and angle.
configuration style 
Left  Right
Left  Right  Center
Center Only

Christian semi contemporary praise and worship volunteers
Guitar, Bass, E Drums, Vocals, Backing Tracks
All IEM no wedges on stage
Told they are normally around 80-85 db ( not sure how that weighted or measured at , but prob foh)
Currently have no issues with loudness from hvac

125 people on average
200 well padded seats
250 people on a special show/service

Room
86x47 feet
12 foot wall with 15 foot peak
Drywall and Carpet floors
Double doors with glass inserts middle room stage right, and Back of the room center

Acoustics
nothing on the walls or ceiling other than lighting.
Acoustic treatment will be installed prior to any speaker system

Stage
20x37 feet
3 ft tall stage
carpeted

I am sure i have left some things out. let me know and I will try and answer

Thank you for your valued time

I have had good results in similar rooms with mono 90 x60 hung as high as possible center peak with horn on the bottom. Aim for 1/2 to 2/3 back from front row on axis horn (get off axis roll off of horn at front row). A delay hanging high as possible 1/3 to 1/2 from front row horn on top aimed at back row head high. Horn on bottom front and horn on top back helps blend highs when seated under delay speakers. With low ceiling you will always have a few seats where delays are heard louder but if delay speaker seats are on axis with front horns it is not that bad. Delay levels should be set low enough that sound appears to come from front.

If you have wedges on stage play single tone click track through monitors at high level then lower level on mains delay main until you hear one click same with delay from mains. This helps front seats utilize spill and drums , amps etc....
I have found this to help smooth out room with speakers more accurate than using a tape measure and math only. You end up close to math but reflections and cancellations will always make a difference. If single delay causes to much trouble with sound not sounding like it comes from stage then use two spread centered over seats. All mono it is better to have aux feed subs also for contemporary style music, this lets you crossover mains around 60 to 80 to control low end in peak of ceiling.

With the low ceiling i think you will have to use delays to even out front to back. Remember most folks that sit in the back expect it to be lower in volume so do not try to keep levels that even with front and back. Use delays to manage spa drop not eliminate in this low ceiling set up to avoid delay fill localization.

Ervin

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.