ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you need an EE degree to be a system designer?  (Read 18440 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Do you need an EE degree to be a system designer?
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2016, 12:34:24 AM »

Any certifications you can get will spice up your resume.  If the Syn Aud Con things result in some sort of completion form then list that too.

Of the "engineers" I've managed, they tend to fall into three types.  With some interspersing between them: 

The folks who had formal educations in school.  These can be people who were interested in the subject or just folks who went though it because someone told them it pays good.  Some understand what is happening and some get wrapped around the axle in academic forays.

The "empirical" folks who got promoted from down in the support ranks.  They've learned that when they push this button, that happens.  They can be more functional than the really academic types but they get stuck when confronted with something new.  These folks don't get paid as much and have a hard time getting jobs where they're not known.

The last is what I think of myself as, self taught.  When I come up against something I try to break it down to things I can understand or isolate what I don't understand and research and learn it.  Over the years I've taught myself a lot.  But every so often I run into something where I recognize that if I'd gone through a formal school, I'd have some handle to work with.  Maybe not a full expertise but some grasp to build from with more research.  My effective and I have a pretty good reputation in my field.  But that won't get me past someone who doesn't know me.

DavidTurner

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2016, 12:42:55 AM »

I'm the product of the 1960's Mississippi school system.

As are Oprah Winfrey, John Grisham, Morgan Freeman, Faith Hill, Jimmy Buffet, Jim Henson, Walter Payton, Brett Favre... - didn't we already have this conversation?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2016, 12:57:45 AM »

I like cake.

I kind of liked Cake, and I knew there mixerperson Chris Kathman, who has been MIA for several years after appearing to fall on mysteriously hard times and then disappearing. :(
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2016, 01:10:35 AM »

As are Oprah Winfrey, John Grisham, Morgan Freeman, Faith Hill, Jimmy Buffet, Jim Henson, Walter Payton, Brett Favre... - didn't we already have this conversation?
They got lucky. Back then we all knew the schools were last. You dont need an education to be a talk show host or throw a football be a musician or an actor.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2016, 01:55:56 AM »

They got lucky. Back then we all knew the schools were last. You dont need an education to be a talk show host or throw a football be a musician or an actor.
That almost had the potential to be a complete sentence.  I met Morgan Freeman at a private aviation convention.  He, like Harrison Ford, is an accomplished pilot.  I am sure Morgan and others on your list would be offended at the dismissal of their God given and well honed talent being attributed to a statistical anomaly called luck.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2016, 03:32:24 AM »

That almost had the potential to be a complete sentence.  I met Morgan Freeman at a private aviation convention.  He, like Harrison Ford, is an accomplished pilot.  I am sure Morgan and others on your list would be offended at the dismissal of their God given and well honed talent being attributed to a statistical anomaly called luck.

John Travolta is quite a pilot as well, type certified on a number aircraft and has flown 747-400 for Quantas.  He's still got the 707-138, I think, and he bought a Bombardier a few years ago.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 03:57:36 AM »

John Travolta is quite a pilot as well, type certified on a number aircraft and has flown 747-400 for Quantas.  He's still got the 707-138, I think, and he bought a Bombardier a few years ago.
Travolta has spoken at many AOPA conventions.  It may have changed but he only holds a SIC, second in command rating for the B707.  I think he traded the Challenger for a G5 a number of years ago. Impressive accomplishments. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 04:01:06 AM »

Look's like the shift key has been fixed, or is finding the key related to taking off the hood. Bigger eye holes, that's been my thought all along. And Jeff, please don't use the school system as a crutch. Being, or pretending to be uneducated isn't something to write home about, even if you can.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 04:11:09 AM »

me and some others got effed ! alright ? you want to just keep on piling it on ? some of us were not so fortunate. some of us also had a violent drunk dad that refused to send us to private schools so we could get an education. you have no idea what i have been through and the work i did to get where i'm at. how would you like it if your dad had torn the door off your bedroom and came after you and when he could catch you he destroyed your drum set. that happened to me in the 10th grade. so besides going to crappy public schools i also had to deal with my violent walking around drunk dad that grew up on a farm in south mississippi and was so tough he could hurt people real bad. so go ahead and pile it on me i can handle it because i'm been through crap that would cause others to commit suicide. this time i didnt feel like typing in caps or punktuashuning properly. i wonder what some of you are like in real life. i'm a nice guy but i will only take so much before i say what i think of it. if you say anymore dont expect another comment from me because this is my last comment on this matter.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 04:13:47 AM »

Look's like the shift key has been fixed, or is finding the key related to taking off the hood. Bigger eye holes, that's been my thought all along. And Jeff, please don't use the school system as a crutch. Being, or pretending to be uneducated isn't something to write home about, even if you can.
I have to slam my finger on the shift keys to get them to work and I am comcerned I will crack the keyboard. I am not using the school system as a crutch. I wish my childhood life had been different. I really would have liked to have gone to collage and become an airline pilot.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 04:13:47 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.