ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flapping/cracking sound in subs (Soundweb Blue + Crown CTS3000 + JBL SRX718S)  (Read 5180 times)

Frederic Tombre

• AV engineer - Norway
    • TML Senteret - Norway

Hi guys,
I want to share a strange issue happening with our PA. Maybe there will be others that have experienced the same issue?

Our PA i basically feeded by a pair of Soundwebs audio processors. They're doing the processing and distribution from the feed coming from the mixer. Our 6 subs are powered by three Crown CTS 3000 amplifiers. They all have a dedicated Soundweb output (no parallel outputs).
We've got issues with a flap noise coming from the subs. It sounds like a low frequent chopper wave. It's not really loud but since it's coming from the subs it can be heared in the whole hall.
We've tried to change the PIP cards on the amps, moved cables from one sub to another, but the noise is still appearing from time to other and seems to appear on different subs.

Anyone that have experienced the same issue?
Regards,
Frederic

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio

Are you sure you're not clipping the amps? The CTS clip REALLY hard. It sounds like a pop coming out of the speakers, almost like the cone is bottoming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spenser Hamilton

Hi guys,
I want to share a strange issue happening with our PA. Maybe there will be others that have experienced the same issue?

Our PA i basically feeded by a pair of Soundwebs audio processors. They're doing the processing and distribution from the feed coming from the mixer. Our 6 subs are powered by three Crown CTS 3000 amplifiers. They all have a dedicated Soundweb output (no parallel outputs).
We've got issues with a flap noise coming from the subs. It sounds like a low frequent chopper wave. It's not really loud but since it's coming from the subs it can be heared in the whole hall.
We've tried to change the PIP cards on the amps, moved cables from one sub to another, but the noise is still appearing from time to other and seems to appear on different subs.

Does it happen at random intervals and sounds like a machine gun?

We had an issue with one of our CTS3000s, I had a recording but can't seem to find it, a trip to Crown was neccessary to fix the problem.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Frederic Tombre

• AV engineer - Norway
    • TML Senteret - Norway

Are you sure you're not clipping the amps? The CTS clip REALLY hard. It sounds like a pop coming out of the speakers, almost like the cone is bottoming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think so. We hear it also when we're playing at normal sound levels and even without really using them (only vocal microphone with lowcut at 150Hz).

Does it happen at random intervals and sounds like a machine gun?

We had an issue with one of our CTS3000s, I had a recording but can't seem to find it, a trip to Crown was neccessary to fix the problem.
Yes it happens at random intervals and sound like a machine gun. I think I should contact my supplier to get i fixed then.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:35:27 AM by Frederic Tombre »
Regards,
Frederic

Stephen Kirby

There is a sort of low frequency oscillation that can happen in some amplification circuits that used to be called "motorboating" as it sounded like one of those small single cylinder diesel engines used in motor launches.  A sort of putt putt sound.  Typically a cap has gone bad somewhere that would normally stabilize some gain stage.

Brian Dill

Have you checked the entire AC path? Reminds me of an problem I had at a venue, that eventually took out my subs (Smoke and sparks) running off a Crown 5000VZ.

Hi guys,

Frederic Tombre

• AV engineer - Norway
    • TML Senteret - Norway

Since it could be interesting for other.
The problem was eventually found and was a vacillation/fault contact on some potentiometers. The amps were sent to reparation and since we don't have any problems any more.

Hi guys,

Regards,
Frederic

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.