ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rigging question  (Read 5100 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Rigging question
« on: February 10, 2016, 01:35:07 AM »

What is the weight rating of plastic pipe strap?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jonathan Johnson

Re: Rigging question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:43:48 AM »

What is the weight rating of plastic pipe strap?

A bit of explanation:

This is apparently a projector mount. It is installed in a city-owned community building.

To my unqualified eyes, there isn't a single thing about this installation that is done correctly, from the use of improper materials to improper attachment.

A few things to note:
  • The projector box is made of particle board nailed together (I don't know about glue).
  • The box is suspended with plastic pipe strap.
  • The pipe strap is attached to the box with drywall screws driven through the pipe strap into the edge of the particle board; the force is applied radially to the screws. There is only one screw per strap. These screws are brittle and not load-rated.
  • The pipe strap does not appear to be fastened to the duct, but is just draped over it.
  • The pipe strap wasn't long enough, so an extension was attached with zip ties.
  • The projector is not attached to the box, as it appears to be designed to be removed from the box when not in use.
  • The failure of any single component is guaranteed to dump the projector onto whatever (or whoever) is below.
  • The failure of a single component may result in cascading failure, dumping the entire (dis)assembly onto whatever is below.

Granted, it may not be a lot of weight, but I don't think I'd opt for a seat under the thing.

P.S. - I did my due diligence, I reported my concerns to the city building inspector.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:59:01 AM by Jonathan Johnson »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 03:50:01 AM »

haysus !  :o

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:47:23 AM »

P.S. - I did my due diligence, I reported my concerns to the city building inspector.

You did what you could do....other than to inform local media or contact the HVAC designer (who would certainly take issue with someone hanging from their supported duct).

There appears to be plenty of adequate structure above to provide proper rigging.  No excuse for that.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 09:55:21 AM »

A bit of explanation:

This is apparently a projector mount. It is installed in a city-owned community building.

To my unqualified eyes, there isn't a single thing about this installation that is done correctly, from the use of improper materials to improper attachment.

A few things to note:
  • The projector box is made of particle board nailed together (I don't know about glue).
  • The box is suspended with plastic pipe strap.
  • The pipe strap is attached to the box with drywall screws driven through the pipe strap into the edge of the particle board; the force is applied radially to the screws. There is only one screw per strap. These screws are brittle and not load-rated.
  • The pipe strap does not appear to be fastened to the duct, but is just draped over it.
  • The pipe strap wasn't long enough, so an extension was attached with zip ties.
  • The projector is not attached to the box, as it appears to be designed to be removed from the box when not in use.
  • The failure of any single component is guaranteed to dump the projector onto whatever (or whoever) is below.
  • The failure of a single component may result in cascading failure, dumping the entire (dis)assembly onto whatever is below.

Granted, it may not be a lot of weight, but I don't think I'd opt for a seat under the thing.

So much wrong with this install. Those plastic straps usually fray when they're cut (or have a screw driven through them). That pressboard wooden box will disintegrate in a fire once the sprinklers get it wet. The HVAC duct is not designed nor rated to have a load suspended from it. The cable attaching the duct to the ceiling is usually fastened with adjustable locking sliders, which are usually rated for about a 30lb working load.

And on top of all of that, what about the IMAGE when the HVAC comes on? I'm sure the vibrations ruin the picture. This whole thing is absurd.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »

The biggest thing is that the plastic strip splitting from the drywall screws driven through.  Concerns about shear load rating of the screws are way down in the mud of things.

Yes, the duct is not designed to support a load but people hang banners and such from them all the time.  Particle board will decompose if soaked in water.  The projector could bounce out of the tray in an earthquake.  Many things could go wrong.

But the split in the plastic strap from the screw WILL propagate to the end.  And the assemblage WILL fall.  It's a matter of when rather than maybe.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 02:45:48 PM »

And how many times have we all seen speakers hung with chain through the handles and the club owner says, "What? They've been like that for years."

Well, maybe they haven't killed anybody yet, but that doesn't make it right.

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »

And how many times have we all seen speakers hung with chain through the handles and the club owner says, "What? They've been like that for years."

Well, maybe they haven't killed anybody yet, but that doesn't make it right.

I'd trust the speakers hung with chain through the handles more than I'd trust this.

It's worth noting that speaker handles may be attached with wood screws into particle board, so they could suffer similar fate when exposed to water (as in fire sprinkler activation).

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 03:46:40 PM »

It's worth noting that speaker handles may be attached with wood screws into particle board, so they could suffer similar fate when exposed to water (as in fire sprinkler activation).
Wouldn't ANY speaker rigging solution suffer from the same issues when drenched by fire sprinklers? All of the rigging points connect, in some way, to the wood frame of the speaker cabinet, which will deteriorate when wet.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »

I'd trust the speakers hung with chain through the handles more than I'd trust this.

Some people try to justify their poor rigging job by saying it's been there for years and not think about future consequences.

We may all get out of a burning building, but we don't want something coming down on a firefighter. I could see those plastic straps melting in a minute and come crashing down in a fire. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.