ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante over the internet (or any other audio like intercom)  (Read 9088 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Dante over the internet (or any other audio like intercom)
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:06:30 PM »

Unityintercom.com is in the development phase of a new, as yet unreleased, product called Unity Connect.  They will announce it at NAB this year and then will have pricing info.

It is a 64 channel bi directional program to send audio or voice from one source to many or from many sources to one over the internet with latency as low as 10ms.   I am using it this week for a fashion show at MSG and sending 3 channels of my Riedel Intercom to the Unity server off site.

I am posting this on the audio forum since I think that is where it may arouse the most interest but I am currently using it to get 4 wire circuits from my live events into the Unity Intercom in this post:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,157894.0.html

Since a video is worth a billion words: watch this

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:53:40 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Dante over the internet (or any other audio like intercom)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »

Unityintercom.com is in the development phase of a new, as yet unreleased, product called Unity Connect.  They will announce it at NAB this year and then will have pricing info.

It is a 64 channel bi directional program to send audio or voice from one source to many or from many sources to one over the internet with latency as low as 10ms.   I am using it this week for a fashion show at MSG and sending 3 channels of my Riedel Intercom to the Unity server off site.

I am posting this on the audio forum since I think that is where it may arouse the most interest but I am currently using it to get 4 wire circuits from my live events into the Unity Intercom in this post:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,157894.0.html

Since a video is worth a billion words: watch this

this is EXTREMELY interesting for the type of work i'm doing right now.  I look forward to anything else you can add to the information you've already shared.

Unity is starting to look like a VERY interesting company to watch in this space in the future.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:16:07 PM »

So, does it play nice at 48k yet?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:23:42 PM »

So, does it play nice at 48k yet?

The Unity connect does and I am told if you connect 48K to Unity intercom it will work too.  I have not had a chance to try it at 48 yet.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:49:49 AM »

Do you know what latency the system adds to the IP connection latency? (eg. how your audio latency differs from, say, a ping response time)

In your screenshot above, it says the link latency was 2.4ms, so presumably your server was geographically close?

What happens to the system when the link latency changes? How much buffer do you have, and is that user-configurable?
Riedel Communications

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »

Do you know what latency the system adds to the IP connection latency? (eg. how your audio latency differs from, say, a ping response time)

In your screenshot above, it says the link latency was 2.4ms, so presumably your server was geographically close?

What happens to the system when the link latency changes? How much buffer do you have, and is that user-configurable?

There is a fixed jitter buffer set in the incoming screen, so that's a fixed amount.  Real total latency is continuously displayed for each direction in the software and often you can lower the jitter if it's too big.  to maintain channel phase the jitter buffer is not dynamic.  if you are getting lost packets increase it.  audio sync is not necessarily the same bidirectionally.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:20:54 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »

Very cool. I've always wanted VIA to work this way so I can (for example) send a backstage feed via wireless to a laptop in the production office.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.