ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha ClubV C115V /vs/ Yorkville E-15 - Edit: SRX725?  (Read 5414 times)

Rusty Stevens

Yamaha ClubV C115V /vs/ Yorkville E-15 - Edit: SRX725?
« on: February 09, 2016, 11:57:46 AM »

Edit: I just found a used pair of SRX725's that I could squeeze into my budget. Reviews are good on these, how about these for out-door shows with doubled up subs, and keep the E-15's for indoors and monitor use outside?

TLDR: Get a second set of E-15 tops, or 4 Yamaha C115V's to cover outdoor events? These are going over LS-808's (have 2 getting 2 more).

I have a set of Yorkville E-15's and I like them well enough for my budget. I need to add some speakers for outdoor coverage this summer.

I already plan to go with a second set of LS-808's for subs.

The E-15 has a cast basket 400W program woofer (Could be B&C but looks the same as the eminance in the Yamaha and the cabinets are older) and a 30W 1.4" compression driver. The power ratings and SPL that i assume is calculated from them on the spec sheet seem a bit inflated for the drivers in the cabinet, so I run the limiteres on my amps at 450W and they sound fine.

The Yamaha drivers are rated the same, they are Eminance as far as any info I can find states (might even be a different flavor of the same driver from looking at them), and the Yamaha specs are in line with the driver ratings.
Both boxes sound fine with slightly different EQ when A/B'd, and the "90 degree" rating on the Yamaha looks to come mostly from the woofer if I'm reading the plots on the spec sheet correctly. This and the fact that Mr. Danley has mentioned that the directivity ratings on most of these boxes are inaccurate at best, makes me think that a pair of either of these boxes per side (splayed) should perform about the same.

The budget for top cabinets is $1400, and if I got the Yamaha's (or something else) I'd swap the E-15's down for monitor duty. I'd love a set of Daney / JTR / JBL / EV etc. big boy cabinets, but the money isn't there (and for the rock bands I mix the cabinets I'm using sound just fine). These are out-door events that are normally covered by 4 MI or Prosumer level stacks of similar size to what I'm planning.

I have QSC PLD 4.3 and Crown XLS 2500 (and 2502) amplifiers, so powering anything in this range isn't an issue.

Thanks for your thoughts.
{Puts on flame suit and waits for deluge of "you can't do that" and "If you are doing sound you need a $10k system at minumum"}
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:31:40 PM by Rusty Stevens »

Rick Powell

Re: Yamaha ClubV C115V /vs/ Yorkville E-15
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »

Neither of these tops is a substantial cut above the other, and neither have been designed to array particularly well side by side.  If that is the choice I'd be limited to, I'd say just get 2 more of what you already have (apparently the E-15...you don't mention already having any C115s), with the extra subbage, and call it a day. 

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 01:02:22 PM »

f that is the choice I'd be limited to, I'd say just get 2 more of what you already have...

I tend to agree.

@Rusty - yeah, marketing specs can be all over the map (the E-15's going up to 26kHz at +/-3dB, for example).  At best, specs may be useful when comparing models from the same product line.  Between manufacturers - all bets are off.

Both those cabs have 1" throat horns.  Both cross over higher than is ideal for 15" speakers.  The E-15's say their horns are rotatable, which may be something to try if you're going to put 2 cabs side by side.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Rusty Stevens

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »

Thanks for the input. Basically re-assuring me on what I'm finding. For my cost I can replace 2 of my PV 112M monitors (big improvement) with the E-15's, get a pair of the Yamaha's, and it will cost about the same as just getting another pair of the E-15's. Not optimal by any stretch of the imagination, but it works well enough for what I'm doing.

Neither of these tops is a substantial cut above the other, and neither have been designed to array particularly well side by side.  If that is the choice I'd be limited to, I'd say just get 2 more of what you already have (apparently the E-15...you don't mention already having any C115s), with the extra subbage, and call it a day.

Rusty Stevens

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »

Yes on marketing specs, which is why I looked at the replacement drivers for the cabinets to see if the (much more expensive) Yorkville had some actual advantage. Yes the horn is rotatable, I tried it and I still had to splay them pretty hard as the woofer is whats putting out most of the sound. I'll leave them rotated if I use them as wedges, figure there is an possible chance it will help keep some of the HF out of the microphones.
Thanks
Rusty

I tend to agree.

@Rusty - yeah, marketing specs can be all over the map (the E-15's going up to 26kHz at +/-3dB, for example).  At best, specs may be useful when comparing models from the same product line.  Between manufacturers - all bets are off.

Both those cabs have 1" throat horns.  Both cross over higher than is ideal for 15" speakers.  The E-15's say their horns are rotatable, which may be something to try if you're going to put 2 cabs side by side.

Dave

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »

Both are MI grade general purpose loudspeakers, I find the e15 big for the amount of noise it makes. Have a look at the e210 if you like yorkville. I've been using a pair of those for general purpose just need a speaker or stage monitor for a while now, I like them but pricey for a passive box. Then again I'm still of the opinion an analog powered box mixer is more than enough knobs for the average, just need a mic jobs.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Mark Favata

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »

I am also in the market searching for new tops to upgrade my Yamaha's at the moment, and if I found a set of SRX725s in my budget, that is how I would go.  No experience with the box but seems like a much nicer compression driver and a 1.2 crossover to meet the 15s better.

Rusty Stevens

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:52:15 PM »

I'm not bound to Yorkville, although I like the LS-808 for the price. I got the E-15's used for a reasonable price, so not a huge investment. Im going to take a listen to the SRX725's and see what I think.
Thanks
Both are MI grade general purpose loudspeakers, I find the e15 big for the amount of noise it makes. Have a look at the e210 if you like yorkville. I've been using a pair of those for general purpose just need a speaker or stage monitor for a while now, I like them but pricey for a passive box. Then again I'm still of the opinion an analog powered box mixer is more than enough knobs for the average, just need a mic jobs.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Yamaha ClubV C115V /vs/ Yorkville E-15 - Edit: SRX725?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 03:04:02 PM »

Just want to point out the SRX725 is of a different league than the aforementioned cabinets, not really an apples-to-apples comparison in price, size, output, sound quality, required amplifier power and processing, etc. etc.

A great box, yes, but if that's a consideration, then the conversation has greatly changed.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »

Yes, if the 725s are in budget you're probably better off with one good box instead of 2 midrange boxes side by side.

Also, outdoors you will find you need a ton of monitors so the more things you can repurpose there the better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.