ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus New Speakers Ultra Long Throw  (Read 11920 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Presonus New Speakers Ultra Long Throw
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »

Presonus jumped into a market they should have stayed out of. IMO none of their hardware was ever designed to last more than a week. Don't like their outboard hardware regardless of type. Two steps above Behringer at best.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

I'm presuming that because they have a comparatively large horn with a slightly smaller designed vertical pattern, they feel they get more "throw" than a nominally 60 degree vertical box.  I don't see polar plots on the website so who knows, maybe they are getting better pattern control than typical MI boxes.  Crossover is lower than the cheap boxes at least.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »

I'm presuming that because they have a comparatively large horn with a slightly smaller designed vertical pattern, they feel they get more "throw" than a nominally 60 degree vertical box.  I don't see polar plots on the website so who knows, maybe they are getting better pattern control than typical MI boxes.  Crossover is lower than the cheap boxes at least.
You can't throw sound-any further than you can toss the cabinet.

Sound simply propagates through the air.

If 2 sources start out at the same level-they will end up at the same level at some further distance.

Often the so called "long throw" cabinets are called that simply because they are louder to begin with-due to the narrower pattern.

They can sometimes be "clearer" at a distance-due to the narrower patter because they are not energizing the surrounding objects, both to the sides and above and below.

Very often the objects to the side will be the biggest problem-especially outside.

The ground and ceiling (if there is one) will be a much shorter reflection distance than the walls or building.

HOWEVER-as I said earlier-if the horn has a narrower pattern it HAS to be larger (than a horn with a wider pattern) to have pattern control to the same freq.

It is for this that "historic long throw" horns are physically LARGE.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 08:26:29 PM »

Ivan, understood.  Throw is just a commonly used (if misused) term relating to the narrowness of the pattern and how much energy is dispersed at some arbitrary distance vs. focused and continuing in the pattern.

You've mentioned pattern flip before when the two axes are dramatically different.  I would suspect that something where one axis is twice as wide as the other axis would suffer from this.  So that even if the horn mouth were large enough to maintain a 50 degree vertical at 1.8kHz, at some point it would lose that (and any pretense of associated "throw").

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 09:35:37 PM »

Ivan, understood.  Throw is just a commonly used (if misused) term relating to the narrowness of the pattern and how much energy is dispersed at some arbitrary distance vs. focused and continuing in the pattern.

You've mentioned pattern flip before when the two axes are dramatically different.  I would suspect that something where one axis is twice as wide as the other axis would suffer from this.  So that even if the horn mouth were large enough to maintain a 50 degree vertical at 1.8kHz, at some point it would lose that (and any pretense of associated "throw").
In order to avoid pattern flip if the pattern is twice as wide as it is tall, the horn would need to be twice as TALL as it is wide

Basically the pattern does not get wider in pattern as it goes away from the source-assuming the horn is large enough for the freq of interest.

It will get wider and cover more area.

Also remember that the pattern does not "stop" at the coverage angle.  That is just the 6dB down point.

Also depending on the design of the horn, it may or may not have the same pattern at different freq.

Remember also that a horn needs different expansion rates for different freq.  THe higher freq need to expand faster than the mid freq and the lower freq need to expand slowest.

When only one source (driver) is on the horn, the expansion rates will not be right for some freq bands.

As usual-there are a lot of variables that describe what is really going on.

An attempt to put some "simple numbers" that hopefully describe the "whole operation" will often result in wrong or only partially correct answers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »

Remember also that a horn needs different expansion rates for different freq.  THe higher freq need to expand faster than the mid freq and the lower freq need to expand slowest.

Thanks Ivan.  This caught my eye though.  Looking at the Synergy horns in your products the expansion rate is similar to most horns I've seen (including the ones in the OP) where the expansion rate increases as you get to the horn mouth.  The first thought that comes to mind is that back in the throat of the Synergy horn where the HF is, the expansion rate would be higher with the horn walls narrowing in as other bandpasses are added in.

Pat Talbot

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 08:12:13 PM »

I looked at Presonus loudspeakers late last fall when making my purchase decision for a new rig.  I bought the Presonus RM32AI mixer, but went with the JBL SRX828SP and SRX835P powered loudspeakers.  The JBL's are really awesome boxes in this space...I think they are very tough to beat for the money.  I know a guy locally who has the Presonus AI loudspeakers, but I have yet to hear them.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 08:25:29 PM »

Thanks Ivan.  This caught my eye though.  Looking at the Synergy horns in your products the expansion rate is similar to most horns I've seen (including the ones in the OP) where the expansion rate increases as you get to the horn mouth.  The first thought that comes to mind is that back in the throat of the Synergy horn where the HF is, the expansion rate would be higher with the horn walls narrowing in as other bandpasses are added in.
It is not so much the expansion rate of the horn-but rather the expansion rate of where the drivers are mounted on the horn.

If you look at the synergy horn, the highs expand faster than the mids which expand faster than the lows due to where the devices are mounted on the horn.

This expansion rate is the ratio of the size of the horn to where the drivers mount vs the size at a specific distance down the horn.

If only 1 device was mounted on it-even if a wide range device-the expansion rates would not be proper for the whole freq range of the device.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 08:25:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.