ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus New Speakers Ultra Long Throw  (Read 11768 times)

Brian Charbobs

Presonus New Speakers Ultra Long Throw
« on: February 09, 2016, 07:23:08 AM »

Presonus Speakers
Never had much luck with their Mixers, but anyway here is the speakers.
http://www.presonus.com/products/ULT-Loudspeakers
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Presonus New Speakers Ultra Long Throw
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:59:31 AM »

combine the widest horizontal dispersion of any loudspeaker in their class with a focused vertical dispersion for an ultra-long throw.

I'm not sure how you can have both and at what frequency is this "throw"?
That horn looks just like many others. ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:37:19 AM »

You can't have both, and 110 degree coverage? Might be good at the local Elks lodge.

"PreSonus ULT15 active loudspeakers combine the widest horizontal dispersion of any loudspeaker in their class with a focused vertical dispersion for an ultra-long throw."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »

Wonder whose day was it to fact-check the Marketing folks?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Guy Graham

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:38:29 AM »

Seems like these are not designed in conjunction with Dave Gunness / Fulcrum, like the previous Presonus powered speakers. These look like far more conventional designs. The reference to the ultra wide 110°  dispersion and reduced early reflections sounds a bit contradictory.

The older boxes with Fulcrum type horns looked quite interesting. Unfortunately I've never come across them, nor has anyone I work with or asked. To be fair Fulcrum isn't well known in the UK, and most folks I know just associate Presonus with an irritating half-assed digital desk.

Sent from my GT-I8160

David Lovrien

• Dallas, TX
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »

Seems like these are not designed in conjunction with Dave Gunness / Fulcrum, like the previous Presonus powered speakers. These look like far more conventional designs. The reference to the ultra wide 110°  dispersion and reduced early reflections sounds a bit contradictory.

The older boxes with Fulcrum type horns looked quite interesting. Unfortunately I've never come across them, nor has anyone I work with or asked. To be fair Fulcrum isn't well known in the UK, and most folks I know just associate Presonus with an irritating half-assed digital desk.

The tech is way different from the AI speakers - these new ones may be pulling from the WorxAudio side of their house.  FWIW, I've been running their StudioLive coaxials for a year (328AI+18sAI) and I absolutely love them. Great step up from my QSC KW rig.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »

To be fair Fulcrum isn't well known in the UK, and most folks I know just associate Presonus with an irritating half-assed digital desk.
Sent from my GT-I8160

Well I earned money last weekend with my "irritating half-assed digital desk" and will this weekend too.  I have a newer, larger, more expensive and sophisticated digital board, but the Presonus is just so damn easy to use and has the best iPad app(IMO). I have no experience with their speakers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:17:13 PM by Chuck Simon »

Guy Graham

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »

The tech is way different from the AI speakers - these new ones may be pulling from the WorxAudio side of their house.  FWIW, I've been running their StudioLive coaxials for a year (328AI+18sAI) and I absolutely love them. Great step up from my QSC KW rig.

Nice to hear from someone with real world experience of those powered boxes. Given the association with Fulcrum and their various differentiating and interesting features, I'm surprised they are not more common, though as I mentioned above - it's not that surprising in the UK given the name.

As far as these new powered speakers are concerned - underneath the marketing hyperbole, they look like a lot of other powered boxes in the MI market. In that light and even with the Worx Audio link - I can't see why users would choose these over one of the more established players in this market?

One thing I am pretty certain of: someone will start threads on various places like Gearslutz, asking if anyone has experience of this new product, in some ongoing attempt to parse minute performance differences between similar products, just in case some company magically released a product that performs way beyond the expectations of its pricepoint ... I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice how this happens every time something new and cheap comes out!

Sent from my GT-I8160

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »

Max peak SPL of 136.
 SPL at the source determines how far it reaches before it isn't loud enough.
136 isn't much different than the rest of the pack at that level.

Shrug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Guy Graham

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »

Well I earned money last weekend with my "irritating half-assed digital desk" and will this weekend too.  I have a newer, larger, more expensive and sophisticated digital board, but the Presonus is just so damn easy to use and has the best iPad app(IMO). I have no experience with their speakers.

Sorry - I really wasn't meaning to offend users! I understand it can be appropriate for many use cases.

I was really just trying to convey how live sound Presonus products are perceived by lots of folks in this business I know. I suspect most are like me, in that they've never actually used a Studiolive desk, but back when it was new it was memorable for not having flying faders etc. Also I've never seen it in hire shop inventories (which would severely limit my chances of exposure to it) - until recently the trusty old O1V was the norm in that market sector. To the best of my knowledge I've only seen the Presonus used by bands mixing from stage, so I certainly am not qualified to pass any authoritative judgements.

In the UK there only seem to be a few Presonus products around; and the only one I've seen in common use is the 4 or 8 channel comp / gate unit. It's been a while since I saw that too, as analogue outboard is inevitably getting replaced.

Sent from my GT-I8160

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.