ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I swap out the EVS-15K's for some EVM-15L's?  (Read 7663 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Should I swap out the EVS-15K's for some EVM-15L's?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 07:33:49 AM »

Sounds like couriosity has you wondering, worth a try, but if I may suggest you need to carfully inspect the cabinet's motor board to ensure it can handle the weight of the older transducer. I am betting it's not made to handle it.
   But if it looks possible, then why not try it? I have in my shop all sorts of drivers and transducers and have tried many different combo's, some laughable and some with amazing results. But as the wisdom of others suggests, the x-over, port tuning, opening and even the bolt pattern are probably not in your favor.
    My guess is the bax is not made to safely support the driver, but it will sound tons better, til about 60% volume, then the sound quality will loose it. Try it and see, let us know.
Except in the cheapest of the cheap cabinets, I am not aware of any cabinet in which the baffle was designed to handle the weight of the driver.

The baffle should be designed to no move or vibrate.

Any vibration is simply taking away energy from the driver.

So you should be able to put any driver on it.

Now the bolt pattern-clearance/diameter of the hole etc is a totally different thing.

Where does the "60%" come from?

Are you talking 60% of wattage or 60% SPL (meaning about 15% of wattage)?

In what way will the sound quality "lose it"?

Just curious
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 08:23:23 AM »

Except in the cheapest of the cheap cabinets, I am not aware of any cabinet in which the baffle was designed to handle the weight of the driver.

EV has a history with Oriented Strand Board (OSB) cabinets with drivers attached with "wood" threaded fasteners, and also with molded cabinets using threaded inserts, hence my apprehension regarding driver weight load. A plus 10% step-up in weight is likely inconsequential. A leap-up in driver weight is riskier regarding overall box integrity. And we haven't gotten to the "sound" parameters yet....But I always encourage learning by (sensible) experimenting.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:03:55 AM by Jim McKeveny »

David Scoville

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 02:11:06 AM »

The baffle should be designed to no move or vibrate.

Any vibration is simply taking away energy from the driver.

So you should be able to put any driver on it.

Now the bolt pattern-clearance/diameter of the hole etc is a totally different thing.

Where does the "60%" come from?

Are you talking 60% of wattage or 60% SPL (meaning about 15% of wattage)?

In what way will the sound quality "lose it"?

Greetings Mr. Beaver!
   I will request forgiveness for my blunt Texas country venacular, and a hat tip for your concerns.
   My experiences with ev products appear similar to Mr. McKeveny's in regards to the style of mounting and support of their drivers and speakers. Most I have dealt with have simple coarse threaded screws for the speakers driven into particle board board, the substatial weight increase gives concerns.
   I do have a few old deitz boxes that used these speakers attached with 1/4 inch bolts into metal inserts with 3/4 voidless plywood, probably 35 years old and still see duty as Texas headphones. The last set of 4 ev eliminator 1 cabs I sold awhile back had the weaker style of mounting, fine for the lighter speaker but possibly shady for the extra weight of the older ev speakers.
   I also noted the lighter built cabs had no interior bracing support for the horns, and not needed for the oe. I have seen ev cabs with the drivers changed to the older, heavier yet much better sounding drivers and helped repair them when the weight of the driver snapped the back of the horns off during transport. Therein lies those stated concerns.
   My guestimate of 60% comes from my idea that the cabs, once having speakers changed, will sound much better than oe until any cab design port, size or baffling mismatches become audibly apparant. There may be no noticable problems, my estimation is there will be, occuring at about the stated percentage of power (watts) applied.
   I could easily be wrong, just tried to encourage the op to try it out, and somethings to think over and look for while doing so.
    I do appreciate you concerns, if my explanation remains lacking please feel free to inguire again, and please know that I, along with many others here do honestly appreciate your technical wisdom and vast experience.

Just curious

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 11:28:13 AM »

My guestimate of 60% comes from my idea that the cabs, once having speakers changed, will sound much better than oe until any cab design port, size or baffling mismatches become audibly apparant. There may be no noticable problems, my estimation is there will be, occuring at about the stated percentage of power (watts) applied.
At 60% wattage-then that means that you will not notice any issues until the last 2dB or so of the power.

If you are running a system within 2 dB of its life-there are all sorts of things "getting ready to happen" soncially.

I would also argue that "audibly apparent" happens WELL BEFORE the last 2dB.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »

If you are running a system within 2 dB of its life-there are all sorts of things "getting ready to happen" sonicly.

I would also argue that "audibly apparent" happens WELL BEFORE the last 2dB.

Think of db like money: "I want to grow my income by 3db this year. "My income is down 3db this year". Or "Should I keep writing checks with 0db account headroom?". Things get very real, very fast.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:40:38 PM by Jim McKeveny »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 05:39:51 PM »

Think of db like money: "I want to grow my income by 3db this year. Or "I keep running my checking with)db headroom".
I would be happy with a 1dB income growth.

But getting 1dB increase in a system is simply not noticeable

Not worth any effort or expense

They are NOT comparable at all-in my opinion

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »

I would be happy with a 1dB income growth.

But getting 1dB increase in a system is simply not noticeable

Not worth any effort or expense

They are NOT comparable at all-in my opinion

Incrementalism is a progressive path, and has been demonstrated across lots of disciplines. We are currently in thrall of "Moore's Law" and its cross-industrial fallout, but slow and steady has consistently outstripped moonshot mentality.

IMO. Still love you Ivan.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.