ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Superbowl Halftime breakdown, with audio critique.  (Read 11458 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Superbowl Halftime breakdown, with audio critique.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:37 AM »

I was watching the OTA CBS network broadcast and I too had trouble hearing the vocals. Very low in the mix.
Not an inspiring show either.

While I was just watching on a standard stereo TV sound system, I did notice that the vocals popped out when I adjusted the silly 3-D audio settings they put on TV's these days.   My guess is that if I was actually watching on a 5.1 system it would have been different.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »

I switched channels during half-time and came back to watch the Denver D "Wade" through Carolina.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »

The audio was pretty bad, but then again it usually is.

On a side note, it looks like Beyonce's hair was sponsored by the late Thomas Edison...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 10:57:18 AM »

Was that yesterday?
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 11:08:13 AM »

WHOOSH!!!

Normally I'd say "we saw his hair move" but Ivan is lacking in that commodity. ;)

That's from a New Orleans saying:  "it went over your head so fast we saw your hair move."  They also use "Woosh" as a verb - the past tense is "wooshed", as in "he got wooshed".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »

While I was just watching on a standard stereo TV sound system, I did notice that the vocals popped out when I adjusted the silly 3-D audio settings they put on TV's these days.   My guess is that if I was actually watching on a 5.1 system it would have been different.
I was watching it on a 5.1 vocals were still buried. At least the mic's were cool looking.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »

Was that yesterday?

idk, I don't really follow baseball that closely.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 12:22:14 PM »

idk, I don't really follow baseball that closely.
wasn't the Super Bowl the big bowling championship up in Alaska ?
sorry, that's the dog race I was thinking of. ::)
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »

Beyonce drops her new track in my DJ pool on Sat, then promptly struts it out for all to witness during the Super Bowl. Aah... the wonders of marketing - surpassed only by Peyton Manning plugging the unlikely combination of Budweiser beer and Disneyland after the win.

Beyonce was throwing her head around so violently that I feared she would get a detached retina.

This was my first Super Bowl with Charter, and the sound was so compressed that the vocals would duck with every snare and bass hit. But other than that new track of Beyonce's, and kind of a new twist on Fix You at the end, I knew most of the words anyway.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 12:40:25 AM »

I didn't see even one second of the game! I just now watched the HD version of this years show and couldn't even get to Coldplay....... I could hear everything ok, but would say that vocals were definitely in the mix ( buried ) somewhere. I could hear them though. Who to blame the compression on is hard. The engineer who was in charge of that should have had the plugins and gear needed to get the mix levels where the broadcast station regulated them to be at. The LKFS levels should have been easy enough to measure in real time. So did the mixing engineer send whatever he felt to the TV station to compress, or did he do it himself? I don't know either? If it were me, I would get the work done before the TV station got a hold of it to reduce the likelihood that the mix became overly compressed. I do a fair bit of post production and live mix recording though, so I probably have a better idea of what to expect for a live show reproduction? I can get a live recording mix mastered to well beyond the standard radio and TV broadcast LKFS limitations and have a very nice clean mix without much work. I can even do it pretty well in real time without much processing if need be!

Here is a live 2 track mix I did for a local TV show I was doing sound for. This was done with a simple Yamaha self powered mixer and no outboard gear. The feed was sent directly to the TV station distribution mixer and this is what would have been presented on the boob tube!!!! This was my first time working with the band even. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zdyp-HcvAI

If I can do this with a POS mixer and no rehearsal time, then the people for the Superbowl don't have much of an excuse........
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 12:40:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.