ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Compression monitors QU16  (Read 4445 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Compression monitors QU16
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »

Can anyone tell me if when I use compression on a channel on theQu16, whether it will affect the monitor mixes for that particular instrument.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Compression monitors QU16
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:24:51 PM »

Can anyone tell me if when I use compression on a channel on theQu16, whether it will affect the monitor mixes for that particular instrument.

It depends on where you set your pick-off point for your monitor feeds.  You'll want it pre-comp.  I'll take a peek at the PDF to check...and found it under "Mix Routing".

You can choose your pick-off point of each Mix by selecting the Mix while in the Routing screen.  Choose from Post-preamp, Pre-EQ, Post-EQ or Post-all.

Post-all is the only setting that includes the comp.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:40:32 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:32:02 PM »

There is often a signal flow diagram near the back of mixer user manuals. It will show the possible pick off points for things like auxes and inserts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:01:06 PM »

Thanks guys- the reason I ask is that our bass player's ( my hubby) levels vary greatly depending on how he adjusts his tone. i.e. pick-up selection, using pick or fingers, slapping etc. so it changes song by song.
He has been using a basic comp setting on his amp but it's not enough. I adjust levels for FOH of course but the biggest issue is that everyone is in ears and the drummer and guitar player are complaining that  the variance is too great. I've started adjusting the gain instead of the fader to help the situation.
I'd like to be able to choose a comp setting for the bass that will affect both FOH and monitors but not affect vocals the same way....probably not possible eh?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »

Got a spare channel?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 07:59:30 PM »

Thanks guys- the reason I ask is that our bass player's ( my hubby) levels vary greatly depending on how he adjusts his tone. i.e. pick-up selection, using pick or fingers, slapping etc. so it changes song by song.
He has been using a basic comp setting on his amp but it's not enough. I adjust levels for FOH of course but the biggest issue is that everyone is in ears and the drummer and guitar player are complaining that  the variance is too great. I've started adjusting the gain instead of the fader to help the situation.
I'd like to be able to choose a comp setting for the bass that will affect both FOH and monitors but not affect vocals the same way....probably not possible eh?

This is why I use The Compressor of Death on bass players - insert names of favorite plug-ins here - even the channel strip compressor can help, and I suspect that is where Dick is heading with his question about having an open channel.

Now to the real point - I'm afraid you'll need to keep that rowdy bass player after class until he can figure out what he needs to do to fix his level problem.  Dynamics control is, first and foremost, the primary domain of the musician.  Good luck, and report back in 10 years.  ;)

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »

Got a spare channel?

Actually Dick , I can afford one. I have a couple of compressors- an RNC and a Phonics left over from my analog rack days....My only real option eh?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »

This is why I use The Compressor of Death on bass players - insert names of favorite plug-ins here - even the channel strip compressor can help, and I suspect that is where Dick is heading with his question about having an open channel.

Now to the real point - I'm afraid you'll need to keep that rowdy bass player after class until he can figure out what he needs to do to fix his level problem.  Dynamics control is, first and foremost, the primary domain of the musician.  Good luck, and report back in 10 years.  ;)

I kinda wish it was someone else in the band who was misbehaving.... Hubby doesn't listen!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:39:17 PM »

Actually Dick , I can afford one. I have a couple of compressors- an RNC and a Phonics left over from my analog rack days....My only real option eh?

I was going to propose splitting the bass into two channels, one for the mains and the other just for the monitors.  Then put the opti-squash on the monitors, but if you can just patch in another comp on his line, then go ahead.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:21 PM »

I was going to propose splitting the bass into two channels, one for the mains and the other just for the monitors.  Then put the opti-squash on the monitors, but if you can just patch in another comp on his line, then go ahead.
I'd rather not have to take any more gear than I do already so splitting would be good.
However, what would be the disadvantage to using  the little FMR in line...i.e. Bass DI > FMR >channel input. That way the signal is compressed already.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.