ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DriveRack PA2 & SRX Powered Speakers  (Read 14399 times)

veditor78

DriveRack PA2 & SRX Powered Speakers
« on: February 06, 2016, 10:44:15 PM »

I just used my new SRX812P and SRX8181SP speakers today. When I configured my DriveRack PA2 the active speakers were not listed but their passive counterparts were.

I ended up selecting the passive versions and setup the amp as "not listed".

Is this the best way to set it up?
Josh Rawls

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: DriveRack PA2 & SRX Powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »

No. Use the SRX connect app to apply and EQ and delay adjustments. Driverack PA2 is going to be your bottleneck with these speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:02:11 AM »

I just used my new SRX812P and SRX8181SP speakers today. When I configured my DriveRack PA2 the active speakers were not listed but their passive counterparts were.

I ended up selecting the passive versions and setup the amp as "not listed".

Is this the best way to set it up?

Why do you need the PA2?  Is the processing in the speakers not sufficient for some reason?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

veditor78

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »

I wanted to use the DRPA2 for the automatic feedback filters and to keep my system flexible for use with other speakers, which does happen more often than I would like. It is built into my DJ controller case and not separate. All my connection are on the front of the DJ rack so hook-up is quick and simple. The feedback filters are nice because, as a wedding DJ, the mics are commonly used in front of the speakers for toasts, speeches, and sometimes by me on the dance floor so I wouldn't be near controls to handle feedback manually.

Also, as a wedding DJ setup time is very limited. Having to run extra Ethernet cables and setup a network is time I'd rather spend making all the wire runs look nice and neat.
Josh Rawls

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »

If you really want it, use it. But it's really not necessary.

Keep the guests 10-15' away from the speakers and feedback shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:42:17 AM »

The DRPA is totally redundant in this case but for simplicity of setup and to utilize the DRPA's AFS functionality I'd suggest setting up a custom preset that has the AFS setting you want but otherwise has no crossover, EQ or limiting engaged so that you just have a pair of fullrange outputs, then connect those directly to the subs and then link from the subs to the tops and let the speakers do all the crossover, EQ and limiting processing.

veditor78

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »

The DRPA is totally redundant in this case but for simplicity of setup and to utilize the DRPA's AFS functionality I'd suggest setting up a custom preset that has the AFS setting you want but otherwise has no crossover, EQ or limiting engaged so that you just have a pair of fullrange outputs, then connect those directly to the subs and then link from the subs to the tops and let the speakers do all the crossover, EQ and limiting processing.

Thank you, that's what I will do. I understand the DRPA2 is redundant for these speakers but I need to keep it for other setups.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.
Josh Rawls

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 06:42:24 PM »

The DRPA is not helping much. The AFS in the DRPA is not a life saver and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Proper setup and utilization of the speakers own processing will blow away whats in the DRPA. Feedback is a curable disease and is also mathematically calculable..... Play with the NAG and PAG theories and you will get an idea pretty quick of what you can do. Nag and PAG don't also factor in EQ correction, which if your good at, you can generally acquire 6-10db more gain than the PAG equation says. If you can't get the volume high enough in theory with PAG, then you need to rethink what your doing and try again.

I only say this because while the DRPA may make it a little easier to centralize all the needed setup scenario's, it is a bottleneck. I believe the max input level is +20dbu as is its max output! That is 4dbu shy of what the SRX speakers can handle. That means the DRPA will clip before the speakers do. This and the added noise of one more product in the chain that doesn't need to be there. The DRPA is not the greatest processors out there and if the only real intent is to use it for feedback elimination, you may as well save the money and get a Behringer unit.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 07:00:56 PM »

If you can't get the volume high enough in theory with PAG, then you need to rethink what your doing and try again.
Proper setup and utilization of the speakers own processing will blow away whats in the DRPA.

I only say this because while the DRPA may make it a little easier to centralize all the needed setup scenario's, it is a bottleneck. I believe the max input level is +20dbu as is its max output! That is 4dbu shy of what the SRX speakers can handle. That means the DRPA will clip before the speakers do.
Luke,

The speakers own processing has no room or microphone EQ (no Potential Acoustic Gain adjustment other than a volume knob), which the DRPA has.   

The DRPA2 has +20 dBu output, the maximum input level of the SRX812P line input. The SRX812P would be seriously limiting well before +20 dBu, and also has a "consumer" input that maxes out at 8 dBu, (and a mic input with another 12 dB gain), the DRPA could clip the crap out of it if desired.

Art
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 07:07:46 PM by Art Welter »

veditor78

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »

The DRPA is not helping much. The AFS in the DRPA is not a life saver and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Proper setup and utilization of the speakers own processing will blow away whats in the DRPA. Feedback is a curable disease and is also mathematically calculable..... Play with the NAG and PAG theories and you will get an idea pretty quick of what you can do. Nag and PAG don't also factor in EQ correction, which if your good at, you can generally acquire 6-10db more gain than the PAG equation says. If you can't get the volume high enough in theory with PAG, then you need to rethink what your doing and try again.

I only say this because while the DRPA may make it a little easier to centralize all the needed setup scenario's, it is a bottleneck. I believe the max input level is +20dbu as is its max output! That is 4dbu shy of what the SRX speakers can handle. That means the DRPA will clip before the speakers do. This and the added noise of one more product in the chain that doesn't need to be there. The DRPA is not the greatest processors out there and if the only real intent is to use it for feedback elimination, you may as well save the money and get a Behringer unit.

I understand that feedback can be controlled by proper setup and mic placement, but try to explain all that to a drunk groomsmen doing a toast! They like to walk in front of speakers and I'm not always right at the controls to keep things in check, as much as I try to be.

I also don't always use the SRX system. I contract DJ for a company that uses passive tops and powered subs. I need some type of processor for that. To keep from having to always swap out equipment in my rack I'm trying to keep the setup static as possible.
Josh Rawls

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 20 queries.