ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: A basic network diagram for sound  (Read 37450 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: A basic network diagram for sound
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 04:35:49 PM »

I am trying to figure out if I can do what I want with a network switch. I am using a Midas M32 with a computer program to control scene management called Palladium. It can use OSC (Open Sound Control) or Midi to control the mixer and take data from the mixer. Due to the limitations of the Midi implementation in the M32 I have switched over to using OSC. This works over Ethernet. I hook up the M32 and the computer with an Ethernet cable directly connected between the 2. I set the Network setting on the M32 to a static IP address. In Palladium there are the OSC port settings. There are ports from I – P and the fields to enter the data are the Name, IP Address, Port, Ping and Period. So I usually name it M32 Mixer, the IP address that is entered exactly matches the M32s IP address, the Port is 10023, the Ping is /xremote, and the period is 9. And this all works just fine with 2 way communication.

I have also done wireless control of the mixer with no problem using a WAP. The next step I want to take is to be able to use both Palladium and the wireless control app together. I am trying to figure out if it will work to use a wireless network router/switch. So can I do hardwired but thru the switch part (?) of the wireless router/switch and wireless however that would all work together.

The next step would be, can I control 2 mixers with this routing with Palladium. Palladium can control up to 3 mixers using Midi and I have done 2 in the past using 2 USB to Midi devices on the computer. With the number of OSC ports available I would think I should be able to control up to 3 mixers with OSC.

It is the networking part of this that I didn’t know about. I assume that I need to configure the network in some way so the M32 and Palladium are talking directly to each other. And that is where I thought the switch part comes in. At the moment I have a Linksys WRT54GS v.2 wireless router to play with to see if this will work. I don’t have the M32 at my disposal at the moment. But I can go to it to try and make this work. I am doing a few jobs next week where I should have some time to play with this. And I don’t need Palladium for those jobs so the playing with it is just to see if I can get it to all work together. 

Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: A basic network diagram for sound
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 04:35:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.