ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reply vs Quote...yes again!  (Read 5452 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Reply vs Quote...yes again!
« on: February 06, 2016, 05:36:53 PM »

I have always been curious as to why when I select "reply" to a post, the whole post gets copied exactly the same way as if I had selected "quote".
I find quite often that I don't want all the text and pictures quoted in a "reply" choice. What is the point of having 2 options that do the same thing?
There have been some reasons given that I have not really bought into.

I happened to be in the "show posts" of my "pofile" looking for a recent post I had made and tried the "reply" option to one of my recent posts in that window.
Imagine my surprise when the text was not quoted but instead, an empty text window was available, just like I would expect from a "reply" choice.
When a "quote" choice is selected, the window shows the quoted text, as expected.
 I suspect there is some software bug with the "reply" option in the standard forum post fields.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Reply vs Quote
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:49:50 PM »

I have always been curious as to why when I select "reply" to a post, the whole post gets copied exactly the same way as if I had selected "quote".
I find quite often that I don't want all the text and pictures quoted in a "reply" choice. What is the point of having 2 options that do the same thing?
There have been some reasons given that I have not really bought into.

The only problem with the reply button is that it still exists at all. Because this forum software does not support threaded viewing it is important to quote at least some part of the post you are responding to so that readers have some idea of what you are responding to. There is no need to keep the entire previous post (as I didn't keep all of yours), just delete those parts you don't want to respond to.

Mac

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Reply vs Quote...yes again!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »

So I am using "SMF Default Theme - Curve" as my theme.

There's no "reply" button.

There's the "Quote" button, and the "Quick Reply" function, but "Quick Reply" does not quote the replied-to post.

Mac, is the "Reply" button a theme-specific function?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »

So I am using "SMF Default Theme - Curve" as my theme.

There's no "reply" button.

There's the "Quote" button, and the "Quick Reply" function, but "Quick Reply" does not quote the replied-to post.

Mac, is the "Reply" button a theme-specific function?

-Ray

It's not supposed to be, but I too use "Curve" so I don't see it.

Posting without having anything that points to what you are referring to just means other users may not know what you are talking about. I prefer to be succinct and include at least a partial quote.

Mac

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »

Yeah, I totally agree re making sure others know what you're responding to-- on the other hand, for a short conversation (like this topic) where the discussion hasn't swerved off to politics, or guns, or "Which Kick Drum Mic Is Best?" -- I find that the Quick Reply can be effective. :)

Either way, in regards to the "Reply" function, glad I'm not missing out on something!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »

I always thought that was odd. My favorite is when someone hits reply, quotes 7 paragraphs and 3 pictures, and posts something that is completely irrelevant to the quoted text. Makes me want to send them a copy of interwebs for dummies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 07:48:06 PM »

I always thought that was odd. My favorite is when someone hits reply, quotes 7 paragraphs and 3 pictures, and posts something that is completely irrelevant to the quoted text. Makes me want to send them a copy of interwebs for dummies.

Or they quote a random message in the thread and then respond to something else. The urge to just delete is strong.

Mac

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 07:58:54 PM »

Or they quote a random message in the thread and then respond to something else. The urge to just delete is strong.

Mac

Or they pull up a 4-year-old thread and provide "a solution" to the OP's problem. I would HOPE they had a resolution after that amount of time.... :)
Kelcema Audio

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 01:09:20 AM »

I kind was out  of town when the forum transitioned.  It used to have indentured threads with replies and the old dogs typically worked that way, admonishing newbies to follow along.  But I typically left if flat as otherwise you had to keep popping open sub threads.  Kind of like gMail and conversation view.  Sometimes it gets confusing following a thread although when everybody on cc replies all the flat view does fill up the inbox quick.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 04:48:33 AM »

It used to have indentured threads with replies and the old dogs typically worked that way, admonishing newbies to follow along.  \

Indentured?  Very subservient the old forum software   :)

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 04:48:33 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.