ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The price keeps going down  (Read 17956 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: The price keeps going down
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 11:58:57 PM »

I went from a 1964 Galaxy 500 hard top, maroon with black interior, also with a 390 auto, to a BOSS 302, then to a 1965 VW camper/van that the owner had hauled to the junkyard because the motor seized. Big problem if you let those old VW's get low on oil. My buddy and I, still playing as my side man, used to drive up and down Mass Ave on the weekends and load the van with college girls looking for rides into Boston. we would flip a coin and the loser would have to drive. Great times back then Mac.

Is the back seat of the Galaxy the biggest in the world or what?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 05:15:05 AM »

The steel mills in our area were starting to rebound, hiring and running three shifts again for the past few years. 

It a matter of a few months 1000's have been laid off.  Apparently now less expensive to import the steel again now due to the reduced transportation costs.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 06:27:10 AM »

NAFTA, and I'll say no more.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:18 AM »

The steel mills in our area were starting to rebound, hiring and running three shifts again for the past few years. 

It a matter of a few months 1000's have been laid off.  Apparently now less expensive to import the steel again now due to the reduced transportation costs.
I don't know how significant transportation cost is to imported materials like steel***, but the dollar has been appreciating against other currencies since our central bank committed to and started raising interest rates recently.  This stronger dollar makes it cheaper to buy foreign made goods, and harder to sell US made goods internationally.

Since other central banks are still increasing liquidity this stronger dollar may persist for a while..  :(  Again good for consumers buying chinese made stuff, not so good for domestic industries.

JR   

*** Making steel requires a lot of energy so that is an input cost for steel that has also been dropping recently.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 10:16:11 AM »

This stronger dollar makes it cheaper to buy foreign made goods, and harder to sell US made goods internationally.

And therin lies the compromise.
 One can "Save money. Live better"  buying offshore products but if sales of US made products is down, how does one make the money to spend?
Tricky balance.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »

And therin lies the compromise.
 One can "Save money. Live better"  buying offshore products but if sales of US made products is down, how does one make the money to spend?
Tricky balance.
Currency exchange rates is just one aspect of international trade and countries routinely try to run down the value of their domestic currency to improve international competitiveness (this is called "beggar thy neighbor" as a zero sum game where sales are taken from another country). This century we're seeing a more tightly linked world financial system but central bankers still try to work the levers to cheapen their local currencies relative to everybody else. Japan just announced a negative interest rate. i.e. You have to pay the bank there to hold your money.  :o (Not the first or only country to do that.)

Jobs are a different matter and currency is only one factor. In my judgement tax policy has a lot to do with the exodus of large US companies (and jobs) to other more business friendly countries. This is crazy, the US needs to be competitive with the rest of the world's tax policy. The solution is not to fine companies for leaving, but to correct the reasons why they choose to leave.

Of course opinions vary, and I'll stop before I get gonged.

JR

PS: I also just read there is a international surplus of steel, another factor in steel production cut backs here (of course oil well drilling pipe was a huge application for steel and is now very quiet).

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »

but to correct the reasons why they choose to leave.

JR

The reason?...It's cheaper somewhere else and they can make more money for their shareholders.
Value, cost and price are  different things, as we are finding out.

No gong...so far  ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 01:58:14 PM »

Price of gas keeps going down right along with the oilfield industry. It's nice on my wallet, but a lot of well paid oilfield workers are now out of a job.

It will eventually turn around though...always does.
I tanked up with Diesel yesterday at $1.38 per gallon.  I put 93 gallons in one truck.  It still was $128, but it beats the heck out of the $4.80 a gallon we paid 3 years ago.  Hopefully around here, it will only get up to $2.50 or so a gallon this summer...we'll see.

Bill  :)
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 02:11:24 PM »

Hopefully around here, it will only get up to $2.50 or so a gallon this summer...we'll see.

All it will take is one thermonuclear war or alien invasion and our whole economy will go to hell in a hand basket.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »

All it will take is one thermonuclear war or alien invasion and our whole economy will go to hell in a hand basket.
Don't forget the zombies....

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.