ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 150-400 cap rooms + SLS 920 + Driverack Pro Plus + 1604 VLZ... WHAT ELSE NEEDED?  (Read 10073 times)

Brian McMahan

Hey there. 

I'm guessing that title of this thread should be enough.  Working stripped down musical performances and presenters at private parties, non-profit + arts events, and pubs. 

I have a 25' 16ch XLR breakout for on-stage feeds, a 32ch XLR split point, a 50' 24ch snake for monitor position, and a 125' 24ch snake for FOH position.  Two Mackie 1604s (one for monitors, one for FOH), the Driverack Pro Plus, and four Community SLS920s.  Mics, DIs, and on-stage cables are covered.  So are patch snakes (if needed).  I have a bit of IEM gear also.

Among the things that I do NOT have:

- stage monitors
- subs
- power amps
- any type of lighting

Spending strategy and suggestions are what I'm asking for here.  You tell me what makes sense, budget wise. 

My first post here... so take it easy on me, please.

Thanks much.

Brian

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:42:58 PM by Brian McMahan »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Hey there. 

I'm guessing that title of this thread should be enough.  Working stripped down musical performances and presenters at private parties, non-profit + arts events, and pubs. 

I have a 25' 16ch XLR breakout for on-stage feeds, a 32ch XLR split point, a 50' 24ch snake for monitor position, and a 125' 24ch snake for FOH position.  Two Mackie 1604s (one for monitors, one for FOH), the Driverack Pro Plus, and four Community SLS920s.  Mics, DIs, and on-stage cables are covered.  So are patch snakes (if needed).  I have a bit of IEM gear also.

Among the things that I do NOT have:

- stage monitors
- subs
- power amps
- any type of lighting

Spending strategy and suggestions are what I'm asking for here.  You tell me what makes sense, budget wise. 

My first post here... so take it easy on me, please.

Thanks much.

Brian

Not sure how to answer this, if you don't know what's needed needed for your application I think you need to hire someone who does.  Whoever is going to operate the system will know what pieces are parts are needed. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian McMahan

Not sure how to answer this, if you don't know what's needed needed for your application I think you need to hire someone who does.  Whoever is going to operate the system will know what pieces are parts are needed.

I appreciate your honesty, Scott.

I have a rough idea of the type of PA that I (personally) would prefer to have for smaller events.  And I (personally) would hope to avoid lighting entirely.  What I don't know is how the other PA providers / operators on this forum might approach these sorts of gigs, if they were starting from scratch, more or less.

Thanks.

Brian

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

How are you going to get the 920s up in the air?  Lifts?

Do you know how to do an alignment on the speakers?

Do you have a monitor person or a main person?

You can't do both-especially if they are in different locations.  At least not easily.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brian McMahan

How are you going to get the 920s up in the air?  Lifts?

Do you know how to do an alignment on the speakers?

Do you have a monitor person or a main person?

You can't do both-especially if they are in different locations.  At least not easily.

Hey there.  Thanks for these questions.

In some cases, I will need lifts for the 920s.  Hopefully I'll be able to rent these locally/regionally.  Mainly though... unless I experience a major change of fortune... I will be placing / strapping 920s on top of subs.  And I've read that they are easily pole mounted... ?

I have not been trained in (time) alignment of loudspeaker systems. 

When / if budgets allow, I'm optimistic that I'll be able to find (ie, steal) a more experienced engineer for FOH duties.  In these instances I would handle monitors.

Honestly, this is what I'm working with...

- I've watched experienced crews at work (as a touring musician) for ~30 yrs;
- I'm familiar with  'wave propagation' basics;
- I've assisted with project studio and audiophile installs for ~15 yrs;
- I can read texts + manuals, watch training videos, etc;
- I'm used to dealing with event planners, venue staff, and creative folks.   

I'm hoping that you can forgive my ignorance / ridiculous presumptions I'm guilty of currently.  I don't want to waste your time.  If you see it as beneficial... by all means, call me out.  Any constructive suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:20:28 PM by Brian McMahan »

Brian McMahan

Figured I should add this, as my initial post was vague: 

I'm not looking for brand-specific recommendations on gear.  I'm fishing for ideas. 

I already have the listed gear + skills (or lack thereof).  My hope is that folks with small sound companies, working similar gigs, will read this and share the type(s) of setup that are providing them the best ROI.  I figure that I can start there, then focus on self-education / training.

Brian

Brian McMahan

This is the newbie forum, yes?
 ???

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......

This is the newbie forum, yes?
 ???
Not quite. More like "small time". single systems, bar gigs, guys doing sound for their own bands, weekend warriors. Some here have been in "the game" since the 70's. Hardly newbies....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Brian McMahan

Not quite. More like "small time". single systems, bar gigs, guys doing sound for their own bands, weekend warriors. Some here have been in "the game" since the 70's. Hardly newbies....
Chris.

Hey Chris.

Sorry... I didn't intend my comment as an assessment of members of this group... Just trying to confirm that the LAB forum is where I should be posting.

Again, first-time poster here.  Thanks for your patience.

Brian
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:40:50 PM by Brian McMahan »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......

Hey Chris.

Sorry... I didn't intend my comment as an assessment of members of this group... Just trying to confirm that the LAB forum is where I should be posting.

Again, first-time poster here.  Thanks for your patience.

Brian
No problem Brian. Just providing a bit of background to who you may be talking with. There are some VERY experienced folks around here. Myself, I haven't done a bar-gig in close to 30 years. Today, I have no clue where to start. I am regularly at the 600-3,000 capacity rooms, and have the gear to get the job done.

The more detail you put in your questions, the more on-point answers you'll get.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.