ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Router directivity  (Read 19321 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Router directivity
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 11:53:42 PM »

Most of them can't list the 7 layers of the OSI model, least of all in order.

Yep, my techs are so sick of me saying, troubleshoot bottom up the layers.  Makes me nuts when someone checks the application, then jumps down to a ping. 

You start with the cable at layer 1 and move up.  Of course that would assume they know how to check Ethernet connectivity instead of IP connectivity. 

This is a fun one too, ask a network engineer to finish this sentence "MAC Address is to Ethernet as IP is to "

For the *nix geeks, I don't need to look at the light I can type mii-tool.

Lastly, my favorite wall hanging in my office "In God we trust, all others bring data"

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 12:04:35 AM »

Lastly, my favorite wall hanging in my office "In God we trust, all others bring data"

"... all others cash only."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 08:33:26 AM »

And most of those that know the correct order and the names can't tell you what the function of each layer is.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »

When I was studying Network Engineering, it was:

Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away

Physical
Datalink
Network
Transport
Session
Presentation
Application

dusted off a few cobwebs there!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

James Cotton

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »

Oh while we are showing are stuff off in public, you have any of these in your network:

1500 MTU?? Pah! Jumbo end-to-end or death!  ;D

Back on topic, I find the Cisco Small Business 300 series gigabit switches to be about spot-on in price/performance/features for our purposes, and the Ubiquiti bullet as recommended by numerous others here is also a good choice for a WAP. Stick the Power Over Ethernet injector in the back of a rack or doghouse and just run a CAT5e to the WAP on a mic stand to give good line of sight whilst remaining fairly discrete, no need for any kinda power cable.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »

Understanding why we do things, the simple math behind a subnet mask and why we use certain IP ranges makes it, in my mind, simpler for the tech than memorizing numbers without a context. 

BTW, 95% of 2 year IT graduates can't give you a definition of a default gateway or an example of when a network may have more than 1 gateway.

I posted the following as an answer on Quora a while back. I don't know if this is an appropriate place for it, but since we're discussing IP networking, I'll toss it up here.

Calculating IPv4 subnets can actually be quite easy, and you don't even need to use binary math. You probably won't even need a calculator or a special program. If you learn the principles I present below, you'll be able to do it in your head.

IPv4 Address Format

IPv4 addresses are made up of four octects separated by periods, or dots. An example is 192.33.31.65 -- one of the addresses that www.quora.com resolves to. The numbers in the address are called octects because they are the decimal values of 8-bit binary words. Each binary digit (bit) represents a power of two.

The rightmost bit represents a value of 20 (1) and the leftmost bit a value of 27 (128). If all bits have a binary value of 1, then the value of the 8-bit word is 255. Here is a handy reference for the value of each bit:

20 = 1
    21 = 2
    22 = 4
    23 = 8
    24 = 16
    25 = 32
    26 = 64
    27 = 128
    28 = 256

(Yes, "two to the zeroth power equals one" is a legitimate mathematical construct. For that matter, "anything to the zeroth power" always equals one.)

Calculating powers of 2 is easy: each integer increase in the power doubles the result. 1+1=2, 2+2=4, 4+4=8, 8+8=16, and so on. The total number of addresses in a subnet must always be a power of 2.

How many addresses in the subnet?

Since each octet of an IPv4 subnet has 256 possible values (0-255), 256 is a very important number and forms the basis for the rest of the math. We'll start with an easy question: how many addresses in a subnet if the mask is 255.255.255.248? We will ignore the first three octets for now and look at the last. Here is how easy it is: subtract 248 from 256. 256 minus 248 equals 8. There are 8 addresses available (including the network and broadcast addresses). The reverse also works: if I want to have a subnet with 16 addresses, what will the subnet mask be? 256 minus 16 equals 240. The subnet mask will be 255.255.255.240.

Now if we want to expand beyond a "class C" scope, it gets only a tiny bit more complicated: if our last octet is 0 and our third octet is, say, 240, then we do the math on the third octet and find that there would be 16 addresses. So we multiply 16 by 256 (the number of addresses in the last octet) to get 4,096. If both the last two octets are 0, then we take the subtraction result from the second octet (we'll say it's 16 again), multiply but 256 (addresses in the third octet), multiply again by 256 (addresses in the last octet) to get 1,048,576 addresses. Easy as that! (OK, so the reverse is a little more difficult. If we want a subnet with 1,048,576 addresses, we'll have to divide that number by 256 a couple of times to get a number we can subtract from 256.)

Network Address and Broadcast Address

Now that we know how to calculate the subnet mask, how do we figure out what the network address is? That's easy: it's always a multiple of the number of addresses in our subnet. So if we have 16 addresses in our subnet, the possible network addresses will be 0 (yes, 0 is a multiple of 16), 16, 32, 48, 64, and so on up to 240.

Where the network address is the first address in the subnet, the broadcast address is always the last address in the subnet.

CIDR Notation

So how about CIDR notation? How do translate that to and from an IPv4 address?
Remember our powers of two? Well, now we have another key number to remember besides 256: 32. Remember, CIDR notation describes the number of significant bits in the IPv4 address (where the significant bits are the leftmost, or unchanging bits in the subnet), and there are 32 bits in an IPv4 address, 8 for each octet. So if we have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240, that is 16 addresses. If we look at our "powers of 2" table above, we see that 16 is two to the fourth power (24). So we subtract that power number -- 4 -- from 32 and get 28. Our CIDR notation for a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240, our CIDR notation is <network address>/28. And if we are given a /28, we subtract that (28) from 32 to get 4; raise 2 to that (4th) power (24) to get 16; then subtract that (16) from 256 to get 240; or 255.255.255.240.

How easy is that? Except for the "very large value of 2" (1,048,576), I did all that math IN MY HEAD AS I WAS TYPING THIS.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 02:40:30 AM »

1500 MTU?? Pah! Jumbo end-to-end or death!  ;D

Back on topic, I find the Cisco Small Business 300 series gigabit switches to be about spot-on in price/performance/features for our purposes.

The ports not configured yet, no phy adapter.

I have no issue with the performance of the 300 but the Web interface is slow and frustrating.  I don't recall if they have a CLI but it's not IOS.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2016, 04:14:25 PM »

Been awhile on this but upgraded my Laptop and am ready to upgrade my WAP/router.

I purchased one of these.   https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-flex-4-1470-80sa-14-core-i5-6200u-8-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd/specs/

Current O1v96 wireless control flow.
USB out of the Desk to the Lenovo. Ethernet out of Lenovo to Belkin as a WAP (correct terminology?) for a RCA tablet to do mixes. I'll include a picture of this setup in bands trailer on a possible rainy day show.

I keep looking at this. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA3DH7703&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Wireless+AP%2FBridge-_-9SIA1EA3DH7703&gclid=CLr1gN-EldACFQcmhgodIn0D8A&gclsrc=aw.ds

I believe the Bullet can be setup to replace the Belkin I am currently using.  Anyone here using these as a WAP/Router and will it work to replace my Belkin. ( seen on right in picture ) How well and Can the Ubiquiti Bullet run on 64 bit Windows?

Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2016, 10:35:07 PM »

Been awhile on this but upgraded my Laptop and am ready to upgrade my WAP/router.

I purchased one of these.   https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-flex-4-1470-80sa-14-core-i5-6200u-8-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd/specs/

Current O1v96 wireless control flow.
USB out of the Desk to the Lenovo. Ethernet out of Lenovo to Belkin as a WAP (correct terminology?) for a RCA tablet to do mixes. I'll include a picture of this setup in bands trailer on a possible rainy day show.

I keep looking at this. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA3DH7703&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Wireless+AP%2FBridge-_-9SIA1EA3DH7703&gclid=CLr1gN-EldACFQcmhgodIn0D8A&gclsrc=aw.ds

I believe the Bullet can be setup to replace the Belkin I am currently using.  Anyone here using these as a WAP/Router and will it work to replace my Belkin. ( seen on right in picture ) How well and Can the Ubiquiti Bullet run on 64 bit Windows?

Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

The Bullet doesn't support 5Ghz so it's a non-starter.

Quick question.  Have you read the network primer for audio engineers that is a sticky post?  The reason I asked is that the same basic issues keep coming up so we are having some knowledge transfer issues.  1 - What does the operating system on your computer have to do with the WAP 2 - Why do you think you need a router?

Not asking these questions to bust chops

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 05:31:06 AM »

The Bullet doesn't support 5Ghz so it's a non-starter.

Quick question.  Have you read the network primer for audio engineers that is a sticky post?  The reason I asked is that the same basic issues keep coming up so we are having some knowledge transfer issues.  1 - What does the operating system on your computer have to do with the WAP 2 - Why do you think you need a router?

Not asking these questions to bust chops

The Bullet M2 is 2.4 ghz. Bullet M5 is 5 ghz.  See bottom of page.   https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/bulletm/   I picked up a "better" router awhile back and it was an older design. It was not compatible with windows 10 so I wondered if the Bullet would have an issue with windows 10 as well.  The Bullet site could be better.

I don't "think" I need a router but I'm struggling with the WAP overall functions.  Will it take the place of my current setup and will it handle multiple clients? I sometimes have 3 tablets going for band members .

I'll take a look at the primer. Thanks.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 05:31:06 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.