ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The "B" Rig  (Read 5070 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
The "B" Rig
« on: February 04, 2016, 12:46:30 AM »

I hadn't really thought about it until today, but about a year ago I finally acquired enough equipment that should any single component fail, the show doesn't have to end. It might not continue with the same gusto, but we can limp along (at least for the types of gigs I do).

That got me to thinking, every provider should have a "B" rig that they can use or borrow pieces from in a pinch. Some of the "B" rig could be used to supplement the "A" rig for those bigger jobs.

The "B" rig may not need to perform the same as your "A" rig, but it should at least be capable of the minimum functionality you can get away with should a critical part of the "A" rig fail. For some shows, the "B" rig can be as simple as a powered speaker on a stick you can plug an SM58 into.

It should go without saying that the "B" rig - or at least some components - needs to go with you to the "A" rig gig. If your "A" mixer fails during the show, the "B" mixer does no good sitting back at the shop.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: The "B" Rig
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 03:10:49 AM »

I hadn't really thought about it until today, but about a year ago I finally acquired enough equipment that should any single component fail, the show doesn't have to end. It might not continue with the same gusto, but we can limp along (at least for the types of gigs I do).

That got me to thinking, every provider should have a "B" rig that they can use or borrow pieces from in a pinch. Some of the "B" rig could be used to supplement the "A" rig for those bigger jobs.

The "B" rig may not need to perform the same as your "A" rig, but it should at least be capable of the minimum functionality you can get away with should a critical part of the "A" rig fail. For some shows, the "B" rig can be as simple as a powered speaker on a stick you can plug an SM58 into.

It should go without saying that the "B" rig - or at least some components - needs to go with you to the "A" rig gig. If your "A" mixer fails during the show, the "B" mixer does no good sitting back at the shop.

Congrats - It was just a few years ago that I made that big step.  It seems to grow exponentially though.  Then you want the B rigs making money so you start hiring engineers to run the B rig.  Then you have to cross rent because you have three gigs in one night so you squeeze out another system.  Then more space, vehicles, insurance, maintenance.  Working 5 times harder and making only 20% more.

It's an interesting business model, I am enjoying tweaking it and hope to find the secret sauce soon. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Slater

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:01:34 AM »

I always carry backup gear, especially since changing over to digital mixing consoles/snakes.  Of course you always have extras of other things on hand too.  I work a lot of multi-band / festival type events, so this is a must.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:48:04 AM »

I disagree that every provider should have a 'b' rig.  I'm a single provider, and I have a rig that I use, and I'm there for every show.  I've been down the road of trying to grow and hire people to do the job for me, but unless I'm willing to make MAJOR changes in what I do, and grow exponentially to have enough people to have backups of staff when someone doesn't show up, it's not a realistic plan.

So, having a 'b' rig is useless to someone like me.  That being said, every show has a 'fail' plan in place. For every piece of gear, I have a plan to keep the show going should said piece of gear fail.  It's not pieces of other rigs, it's designed into the system.  And the most important component in making that work out is knowing the ins and outs of your gear and knowing what needs to be done to implement the emergency plan.  The more prepared you are that way, the less backup gear you need to have onsite.
Brian Jojade

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 05:11:36 AM »

I have gear I'd leave in the rain, and gear I wouldn't...

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 05:13:19 AM »

I only have a B rig.  It would be nice to get an A rig one day!

Steve.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 06:21:58 AM »

I only have a B rig.  It would be nice to get an A rig one day!

Steve.

My "A" rig is most people's "B" rig.....BTW

For my local band festival niche my rigs change according to the size of the expected audience, area, available power, and # of monitor mixes.
I used my A rig once last festival season because I had the power available to make it work. 
It could have gone out another time last season but I found it more cost effective (when factoring in extra labor, truck rental, etc.) to subcontract out one zone (the long throw zone) of a three zone outdoor festival.  I could have done it all myself but to be truthful subbing out part of the rig made my job way-easier.

I have enough gear for three separate rigs although on the rare occasion I have a two gigs at once I usually subcontract the second rig as it comes with an operator....  It all depends on the # mics needed as I only have twenty.  If gig #2 is a DJ'd event it's a no-brainer....just set it (the limiters that is) and forget it.

There are three other techs (one is another local sound provider) in my area that I trust with my gear.

With all of the my rigs I usually bring an extra mixer and two power amplifiers plus a bunch of adaptor cables to patch the amps into my racks if need be.

I am producing a high school "battle of the bands" event in March at a local function hall.  About 200 people in attendance.
For backup gear I will bring my trusty Crate PCM8DP powered box mixer as backup gear.  If my QU-16 goes down or any of my amps go down I can patch this mixer in and limp through the gig.

Mike M   

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 01:34:27 PM »

That being said, every show has a 'fail' plan in place. For every piece of gear, I have a plan to keep the show going should said piece of gear fail.  It's not pieces of other rigs, it's designed into the system.  And the most important component in making that work out is knowing the ins and outs of your gear and knowing what needs to be done to implement the emergency plan.  The more prepared you are that way, the less backup gear you need to have onsite.

Maybe that's more-or-less what I was saying. My "B" rig isn't necessarily something you'd send out on a job at the same time you're doing an "A" rig job, but enough redundancy built into the system so there's no single point of total failure.

I do have a "mini mixer" (Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX) that I bring along and can use in a pinch should my main mixer fail. Sometimes I do use the Alesis for very simple (one presenter) gigs. And I have some powered speakers that I normally use as monitors that could be used as mains should the passive mains or amplifier fail. For the really small stuff, the Alesis and the powered speakers are all I really need; it will fit in my car. So maybe I do bring my "B" rig sometimes. :-)

Bottom line is to have enough redundancy that a failure of any one component isn't the end of the night. "The show must go on!"
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 02:19:09 AM »

My "A" rig is most people's "B" rig.....BTW

For my local band festival niche my rigs change according to the size of the expected audience, area, available power, and # of monitor mixes.
I used my A rig once last festival season because I had the power available to make it work. 
It could have gone out another time last season but I found it more cost effective (when factoring in extra labor, truck rental, etc.) to subcontract out one zone (the long throw zone) of a three zone outdoor festival.  I could have done it all myself but to be truthful subbing out part of the rig made my job way-easier.

I have enough gear for three separate rigs although on the rare occasion I have a two gigs at once I usually subcontract the second rig as it comes with an operator....  It all depends on the # mics needed as I only have twenty.  If gig #2 is a DJ'd event it's a no-brainer....just set it (the limiters that is) and forget it.

There are three other techs (one is another local sound provider) in my area that I trust with my gear.

With all of the my rigs I usually bring an extra mixer and two power amplifiers plus a bunch of adaptor cables to patch the amps into my racks if need be.

I am producing a high school "battle of the bands" event in March at a local function hall.  About 200 people in attendance.
For backup gear I will bring my trusty Crate PCM8DP powered box mixer as backup gear.  If my QU-16 goes down or any of my amps go down I can patch this mixer in and limp through the gig.

Mike M   

Steve is right -  I don't have an A rig, at least on other folks scale.

Mike - Sounds like we run similar.  I have a few trusted associates and we loosely operate as a single entity.

I am interested in building my brand although my associates never see to want to go all in.  The only way we can compete with the big boys in town is to pool our resources. 

What the f*** do I know.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »

Strictly from a ROI viewpoint, I'd rather have 2  "B" rigs making me money every weekend than 1 "A" rig that only goes out 6 times a year.

Like others I don't really have an "A" rig by other's standards as much as I have two different sized "B" rigs.

A lounge "A" rig is certainly much different than a big boy "A" rig.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 25 queries.