ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Proposed Bill in Philly  (Read 5862 times)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
Re: Proposed Bill in Philly
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:01:13 AM by Ed Hall »
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 10:49:39 AM »

"Police would factor into their decision-making things like “crime, traffic, litter, noise, parking and hours of operation; as well as any community concerns, particularly those of neighbors in the immediate vicinity,” according to the bill."

I think the problem with all of these types of laws is that they quickly become over used. Forfeiture of assets, terrorism laws etc all start off by the police saying they will only be used in extreme circumstances, but a few years down the line become routine police action that is used on a daily basis in circumstances it was never intended for.

I feel that something like this would go a very similar route, and would very quickly be used in even the most minor noise complaint cases etc.

k

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »

"Police would factor into their decision-making things like “crime, traffic, litter, noise, parking and hours of operation; as well as any community concerns, particularly those of neighbors in the immediate vicinity,” according to the bill."

I think the problem with all of these types of laws is that they quickly become over used. Forfeiture of assets, terrorism laws etc all start off by the police saying they will only be used in extreme circumstances, but a few years down the line become routine police action that is used on a daily basis in circumstances it was never intended for.

I feel that something like this would go a very similar route, and would very quickly be used in even the most minor noise complaint cases etc.

k
Agreed!
More information...more control.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:14 PM »

The linked article mentioned several times about getting home addresses or "the addresses of all ten members of (group)" - implying home/personal addresses.

Sooooo......?

Sooooo.... the actual bill link was in the article. Easy to click on and search for yourself. 6 instances of the word "address" are in the bill. Nothing states, implies, infers that they were asking for  home/personal addresses.

Again, when an article sounds too stupid to be true, it usually is. Check the source.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 07:27:39 PM »

Sooooo.... the actual bill link was in the article. Easy to click on and search for yourself. 6 instances of the word "address" are in the bill. Nothing states, implies, infers that they were asking for  home/personal addresses.

Again, when an article sounds too stupid to be true, it usually is. Check the source.
Hi Ned,

I have the tendency of assuming that a reporter has done their due diligence, and if something is being referenced on a professional forum such as this, then the person who is referencing it has done *their* homework to ensure that it's a legitimate source.

I apologise for making that ASSumption on here.

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »

And a followup, many DJs and bands have just their own address, and aren't working under the umbrella of a corporate structure. So, even if the bill DIDN'T specifically ask for a home address, if a DJ, band, or even sound guy only has the one address--

-- then that's the only address that they could give.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 05:10:54 AM »

Do your police really deal with matters like this?  Here the police only concern themselves with things covered by criminal law.  Civil matters are dealt with by local council employees.

Steve.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »

Do your police really deal with matters like this?  Here the police only concern themselves with things covered by criminal law.  Civil matters are dealt with by local council employees.

Steve.

Steve, the role of police in approving permits indicates to me that the proposed law was not merely a civil regulatory standard. Based on the criteria the police were to consider, I think that the "noise" law was merely cover for regulating the assembly of social groups that are considered (by some) to be undesireable.

Ray, I usually assume that the characterization of laws by news reporters is not particularly nuanced. While laws often appear overly-broad, the exceptions and exclusions to the laws provisions (sometimes) minimize the applicabilty of the law to reasonable circumstances. But it is easy to miss the importance of "the fine print" when you quickly read about an unfamiliar topic.  As Ivan notes, "the devil is in the details."
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.