ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Any djs using Danley SM 80's  (Read 20224 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Any djs using Danley SM 80's
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 10:59:22 AM »

Went down to Ohio last summer to hear some SM80s outdoors...2 SM80 over 6 TH118.
The most interesting thing, other than the quality of the sound, is that when out about 200',  you close your eyes the sound seems much closer than it actually is.
I attribute this to the cohesiveness of the spectrum distribution.
I really need to get a pair!
Part of the miracle of our hearing system is that the brain can detect very small differences in arrival in a sound source.

So an easy test is to close your eyes for a little bit, and listen.  If you can tell how far a loudspeaker is away (within reason), then there is some "distortion" of the signal coming out of it.

And by distortion-I am not talking about harmonic distortion, but rather that the sound coming out is not true to the original signal.

Yes all loudspeakers have all sorts of "distortions", that is why they are BY FAR the worst offenders in the whole signal chain in terms of passing a signal unaltered-even the very best ones are FAR worse than any electronics driving them.  Mics are next in line.  Then it drops down real far to the various electronics.

The better behaved the signal is, the more it will hold together over distance and the harder it is to tell how far away it is.

Another way to tell how well the signal is holding together, is to listen to how it behaves in the wind.

If it is blowing around (being subject to temperature variants), then it is not as well behaved as one that is more immune to the wind.

So a speaker that sounds good at a long distance with the wind blowing, is going to sound very good indoors and closer-because it is better behaved.

Especially outdoors, it is important to have as FEW of sources of sound as possible, to help the sound "hold together" at a distance.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 11:02:19 AM »

is their a way to create an SM 80 without such a wide dispersion...I would love to be able to keep my sound limited to the dance floor

80 degrees doesn't sound that wide for the horizontal and you can angle them in to keep the sound off the walls. It's wide for the vertical if they're pointed straight. But I really believe that all speakers should flown and aimed down for the best results. That would solve the vertical dispersion issue for me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:05:34 AM by John L Nobile »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »

is their a way to create an SM 80 without such a wide dispersion...I would love to be able to keep my sound limited to the dance floor
But part of having the mid/high limited in coverage is that off axis the bass would be a lot louder -and the balance would be "off"

Not in the current horn.  If we were to simply "narrow the horn angle", yes it would get narrower-but there would be all sorts of interaction going on that would really mess up the sound quality.

We have discussed the possibility of using a horn like on the SM60 on the driver used in the SM80.  The problem is the physical distances and getting a good alignment between the woofer and HF.

Basically the woofer is to large.

We also have to start to control the HF before it gets to wide (the natural 80* dispersion)

But it is "on the list" to look into a bit more and see what we can come up with.

Personally I would love to have a 60° and 40* version that used the "motor" of the SM80.

It could be very helpful in stadium situations.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »

The compromise is never ending, right Ivan?  :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 07:40:51 AM »

The compromise is never ending, right Ivan?  :)
Well there is compromise in trying to do it right.

And then there is "doing something" and giving it a number and hoping people will believe it (typical).

After all-how many actually believe that their "rotatable horns" are actually doing much to the sound?

LOTS.  But in reality-the ONLY thing that is being affected is the top 2 octaves or so-NOT down where they would "like" it to be happening.

But people keep on buying them and just "believing" without actually testing-or measuring or checking.

On a side note-we had a demo yesterday that I was impressed with the client.

They wanted to hear pink noise and actually WALK the pattern to hear where it was cutting off and see how consistent the pattern was.

THat is VERY RARE  Most people just like to listen on axis and talk about the tonality (to much highs-not enough midbass etc), you know things that are a personal thing anc can easily be corrected by eq, rather that evaluating the REAL aspects-such as coverage- evenness, distortion and so forth, things that are NOT corrected by eq.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »

Watched the clip. Very impressive. I'd say mission accomplished!

Thanks John! One of my installers has a friend who lives near the school. She knew he was there working that day, and called him and said she could hear the music from her house. Apparently she can usually hear the marching band, but this was even louder.

I looked her address up on Google Maps and she's about a mile away, through a bunch of trees and other neighborhoods.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »

And then there is "doing something" and giving it a number and hoping people will believe it (typical).

After all-how many actually believe that their "rotatable horns" are actually doing much to the sound?

LOTS.  But in reality-the ONLY thing that is being affected is the top 2 octaves or so-NOT down where they would "like" it to be happening.

But people keep on buying them and just "believing" without actually testing-or measuring or checking.

They wanted to hear pink noise and actually WALK the pattern to hear where it was cutting off and see how consistent the pattern was.

THat is VERY RARE  Most people just like to listen on axis and talk about the tonality (to much highs-not enough midbass etc), you know things that are a personal thing anc can easily be corrected by eq, rather that evaluating the REAL aspects-such as coverage- evenness, distortion and so forth, things that are NOT corrected by eq.
Another interesting test is to "splay" a pair and listen to how the speakers interact.
I did find , at least with the SM80s, that interaction was much better behaved than with conventional 2 way cabs.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »

I try to teach the value of using noise for all sorts of things.  Once you get accustomed to what noise sounds like on a properly equalized system you can get hints of what's wrong.  And, nothing beats noise for hearing alignment problems, or as Ivan says listening off-axis.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 02:22:02 AM »

The "rotatable horns" in my Leslie  are doing a lot for the sound of my C3. I never lay the Leslie on its side though.  :D

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »

The "rotatable horns" in my Leslie  are doing a lot for the sound of my C3. I never lay the Leslie on its side though.  :D

And they are variable (to an extent)-at least in speed------

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.