ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snakes that have TRS 1/4"  (Read 3925 times)

Aaron Maurer

Snakes that have TRS 1/4"
« on: December 05, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »

I have been on the hunt for a drop snake as well as a fan to fan XLR. In this quest I find that the majority of companies are offering snakes with TRS 1/4" return and not with XLR. With the digital snake age reducing the need for these bulky snakes the MI market still needs them. That said the powered speaker market which is XLR and I know most have 1/4" inputs but am confused why they continue to build TRS which seems the need is becoming less?  Also try to find a fan snake with a pair or two of returns in XLR.  Is it just me that I could really use these items and without a fairly large expense for a custom cable it's slim pickings. I mix an 11 piece band the majority of the time and they have a horn section and is my need for 4 inputs and a return for the powered monitor. The opposite side of the stage is keys with a Leslie that has internal mics along with another keyboard amp with direct out. That's 4 inputs along with a return for a powered monitor. I can also catch two guitars on that side all with a fan snake. Trying to reduce the amount of single cable runs as they play on some fairly large stages that stretch a 25' cable.  I am also an admitted beat freak and demand a clean stage.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: Snakes that have TRS 1/4"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »

I have been on the hunt for a drop snake as well as a fan to fan XLR. In this quest I find that the majority of companies are offering snakes with TRS 1/4" return and not with XLR. With the digital snake age reducing the need for these bulky snakes the MI market still needs them. That said the powered speaker market which is XLR and I know most have 1/4" inputs but am confused why they continue to build TRS which seems the need is becoming less?  Also try to find a fan snake with a pair or two of returns in XLR.  Is it just me that I could really use these items and without a fairly large expense for a custom cable it's slim pickings. I mix an 11 piece band the majority of the time and they have a horn section and is my need for 4 inputs and a return for the powered monitor. The opposite side of the stage is keys with a Leslie that has internal mics along with another keyboard amp with direct out. That's 4 inputs along with a return for a powered monitor. I can also catch two guitars on that side all with a fan snake. Trying to reduce the amount of single cable runs as they play on some fairly large stages that stretch a 25' cable.  I am also an admitted beat freak and demand a clean stage.

These are great people and great products.

http://www.audiopile.net/PSPX-8x4

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »

Any Horizon/Rapco dealer can have them custom made for you.  Not really any different price wise than a normal snake to do custom.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 11:32:14 AM »

For a fan snake it is easy to remove a couple of xlrs from either end and reverse them.

Also whirlwind makes a nice di/ snake combination.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Rob Gow

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »

I hear you on the clean stages. I run a 50' 8CH snake for drums (6ch) bass & guitar stage left (snake on the stage left of the kit). I have a powered drum monitor so I run a single XLR to it. 6ch 25' snake to the front for 4 mics, acoustic DI & keys DI and I'm golden. Running passive monitors so returns aren't necessary.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »

We ended up making our own 30' drum drop with 10 ins and two outs.  Canare and Neutric.  It gets the drum mics and drum vocal and returns the drum monitor.
Sometimes the bass and one guitar too. 
I hate anything of mine on stage that can be stepped on.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Patrick Bouldin

• Quibble Brothers
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »

Aaron not sure if this applies but when our band was using an analog mixer we used the directOuts to feed the monitoring system and then we had a combo XLR/TRS patch panel to accept mic and instr inputs. Also, the same patch panel had two snake ends with XLR. Then when we got the digital mixer there was no need for the direct outs.

Patrick

Ron Balsom

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »

Greetings Aaron,  are you ok by now, or are you still in need for some advise ???  If you need some advise with reworking anything that you already have, just call,  I can guide you through that very easily.  Blessings,  Ron Balsom  [email protected]  There's absolutely no charge for advise and help to 'walk thru' a problem.  307 315 7412  Casper, Wyoming.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:50:25 PM by Mac Kerr »

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »

These are great people and great products.

http://www.audiopile.net/PSPX-8x4

this. Mark and Liz make great stuff that holds up well. I have their 50' 8 channel snake, and depending on the show it's been a backline/drum snake, or vocal mic/DI/front monitors. Patch cables can turn any snake channel into what you want if you don't want to cut off and resolder; I have several M-M XLR turnarounds that let me turn an input into an output for monitors and on the mixer end a 1/4" TRS-XLR M adapter for aux sends.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »

3 comments: +1 on audiopile; xlr to trs plugs are not expensive; I use a regular 8 channel snake with the stage box at the board for my returns, then short xlr patch cables from the board.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.