ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do different with Nutcracker  (Read 14090 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
What to do different with Nutcracker
« on: December 02, 2015, 06:13:14 PM »

I've been mixing the local ballet's production of The Nutcracker for the last 8 years. This year will mark 9 years for me. I start my audio load in on the 8th.

You can read about my pretty much now standard set up on my blog here: Eight Years Mixing The Nutcracker

I'm looking for some suggestions on something different to do this year to make it more interesting for me. Any suggestions? The only thing that I am pretty much locked into is that I need 4 fold back monitors for the dancers, and that it needs to be reinforced in the house, and I can't fly mics over the pit as that would interfere with the lighting, spotlights, and sight lines.

Any suggestions?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: What to do different with Nutcracker
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 06:23:11 PM »

I've been mixing the local ballet's production of The Nutcracker for the last 8 years. This year will mark 9 years for me. I start my audio load in on the 8th.

You can read about my pretty much now standard set up on my blog here: Eight Years Mixing The Nutcracker

I'm looking for some suggestions on something different to do this year to make it more interesting for me. Any suggestions? The only thing that I am pretty much locked into is that I need 4 fold back monitors for the dancers, and that it needs to be reinforced in the house, and I can't fly mics over the pit as that would interfere with the lighting, spotlights, and sight lines.

Any suggestions?
Run the tracks through a fuzz pedal?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »

Run the tracks through a fuzz pedal?
The ballet artistic director is basically deaf. I wonder if he would notice?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:13:16 PM »

Any suggestions?

Could you use a z bars or something similar to position mics over the pit?

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »

Instead of coking the Marley, get really crazy and use Dr. Pepper instead?????
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »

Any suggestions?

Disclaimer:  I have not read your blog, but will.

1.  Pre-determine, and highlight, the most important parts of their presentation.  You should know "the story" pretty well by now. 

2. Make it dynamic without making it a rock-show. Make sure that all spoken words are clear. 

3, Do not ignore "diminuitive" passages. There can be some real, memorable, gems there.

4. Pretend you are the audience.

-Dennis

Read some... Thassalottoahipricedbutnot allanddifferentpatteredmicstomanage!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:46:05 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »

Could you use a z bars or something similar to position mics over the pit?

What is a Z Bar? I assume you don't mean a Z shaped wardrobe rack...
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »

Instead of coking the Marley, get really crazy and use Dr. Pepper instead? ??? ?
I'm not on the props crew, so I don't get to decide what they do to the marley. I'm pretty sure that any sort of soft drink products on the dance floor would get me fire post haste.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »

Disclaimer:  I have not read your blog, but will.

1.  Pre-determine, and highlight, the most important parts of their presentation.  You should know "the story" pretty well by now. 

2. Make it dynamic without making it a rock-show. Make sure that all spoken words are clear. 

3, Do not ignore "diminuitive" passages. There can be some real, memorable, gems there.

4. Pretend you are the audience.

-Dennis

Read some... Thassalottoahipricedbutnot allanddifferentpatteredmicstomanage!

It's ballet, Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker. It's literally one of the most boring shows I have ever had to work on. There are no spoken words, except for the precurtain speech. I usually fall asleep while mixing the show. The artistic director like everything to be the same level...i.e. the soft passages as loud as the loud passages, so that he doesn't hear the foot falls of the dancers.

Also, they have many years previously cut the children's choir from the production, which is the best part of the whole show.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:13:58 PM »

What is a Z Bar? I assume you don't mean a Z shaped wardrobe rack...

Its made for holding a mic to a guitar cabinet but depending on your pit design something like it could work for mic positioning  with out  affecting sight lines.   

http://www.thomann.de/gb/z_right_stuff_z_bar.htm

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:13:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.