ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to clean up power strip on LED light bar.  (Read 7551 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Want to clean up power strip on LED light bar.
« on: November 30, 2015, 04:41:12 AM »

Is there any simple way to clean up this unsightly mess?

I want to either build or attach a distribution box onto the top bar, but I don't want a 15 foot cable hanging from the bar when I transport. I have considered a box with a Powercon connector like the Chauvet PowerStream 4 Splitter, but I need a fifth outlet for the wireless receiver.

Any other options out there for 120V US?
Member since 2005.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Want to clean up power strip on LED light bar.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:45:46 AM »

Back when I had bars like that, I zip-tied one of these to each of them.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 07:01:02 AM »

Back when I had bars like that, I zip-tied one of these to each of them.
Similar idea here, but since the LED units need so little power, I just used a small black power strip zip tied to the bar.  I also leave the lights and bar as an assembly and carry them in a rolling trunk.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:01:43 AM »

Is there any simple way to clean up this unsightly mess?

I want to either build or attach a distribution box onto the top bar, but I don't want a 15 foot cable hanging from the bar when I transport. I have considered a box with a Powercon connector like the Chauvet PowerStream 4 Splitter, but I need a fifth outlet for the wireless receiver.

Any other options out there for 120V US?
A black, 6 port, power bar mounted along the "back" of the top bar would be a cheap and reasonably tidy solution.
You could use stout cable ties to affix it.
Oh..I see someone beat me to it....by seconds  ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »

My LED lights have AC in and AC out on them. I have a collection of IEC and PowerCon power cords from 3' to 15' lengths so I can run one (or two) cords to the deck and use shorties to daisy chain the rest.  (Same for my DMX data cables.) Monoprice carries a large range of IEC cords.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »

Those zip ties are a problem when cut off because of various complaints on sharp edges.  This weekend I was working on my subs and applied Automotive RTV black compound to cover the sharp metal edges on the screens that cover the speaker.   After it hardened up I feel this will be a good solution to the sharp edges on the cutoff tie raps that are long term.   

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »

Those zip ties are a problem when cut off because of various complaints on sharp edges.  This weekend I was working on my subs and applied Automotive RTV black compound to cover the sharp metal edges on the screens that cover the speaker.   After it hardened up I feel this will be a good solution to the sharp edges on the cutoff tie raps that are long term.
Use a zip tie gun that cuts flush.  A sharp knife used right will also leave no sharp edges to cut you.  If all else fails use some heat to smooth them off.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 11:34:41 AM »

There are cable ties that work more like a belt and cut much "safer"
Also, a nice sharp side cutter and file can make for a clean and safe cut cable tie.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:11 AM »

Try Silicone tape. It only sticks to itself and does not leave a residue if you want to remove it later.  One brand name is Rescue Tape and a lot of showbiz supply houses stock it, but you can save money and buy the generic Silicone Tape almost anywhere.

I use silicone tape to secure short pieces of trick line to my cables so I can tie them up after I wrap them.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Daniel Levi

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »

Thomann do a special t-bar
 with built in power/dmx connectors spaced along the bar with powercon in/out at then ends. mabey someone does one with us outlets (although if you can get similar sized US outlets it could be easily modified).
http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_powerdmx_bar.htm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:35:07 AM by Daniel Levi »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 25 queries.