ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large Diaphragm Condensor Suggestions  (Read 9061 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Large Diaphragm Condensor Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »

A large diaphragm mic is not always better just because it has a large diaphragm.
Large and small diaphragm mics can all sound great, just depends what your going after.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest KSM32's for this. It's not the best mic for every application, but they sound good and they're on almost every rider I see. If you're looking for a good general purpose LDC, I think the KSM32 is a good choice.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Roland Clarke

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 06:36:14 AM »

A large diaphragm mic is not always better just because it has a large diaphragm.
Large and small diaphragm mics can all sound great, just depends what your going after.

I agree 100%, but the 4033 is just a poor performer at a not inconsiderable price.  The fact that they dress it up to look like a large diaphragm microphone, plenty of pencil condensers perform much better at lower prices.

Posted by: Brian Adams
« on: Yesterday at 11:09:33 am »
I'm going to go against the grain and suggest KSM32's for this. It's not the best mic for every application, but they sound good and they're on almost every rider I see. If you're looking for a good general purpose LDC, I think the KSM32 is a good choice.

I would also agree with this, Shure microphones are generally very good across the range. :)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 08:55:28 AM »

Not at all "against the grain".

The KSM series gives a lot of quality for the money and are RUGGED.  414's used to dominate the market, but as mentioned can be a bit harsh or woody depending on the use and which of the many variations  you use.  The KSM's "just work".  I have 32's, 44's, 137's and a pair of older 109's.  I will add 141's this year if all goes well.

I have had recordists take splits of my 32's and strike their 414's where I was providing live sound, prefering the warmer, more natural sound of the Shures.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 10:35:27 AM »

Not at all "against the grain".

The KSM series gives a lot of quality for the money and are RUGGED.  414's used to dominate the market, but as mentioned can be a bit harsh or woody depending on the use and which of the many variations  you use.  The KSM's "just work".  I have 32's, 44's, 137's and a pair of older 109's.  I will add 141's this year if all goes well.

I have had recordists take splits of my 32's and strike their 414's where I was providing live sound, prefering the warmer, more natural sound of the Shures.

There's nothing wrong with a KSM32, but I think whether you prefer them to 414 will depend on the dynamics of the source. The 414 has sensitivity +3dB, and A weighted self noise -7dB relative to the KSM32.

The AT4050 and the KSM32 have more equivalent specs, so if you just need a cardiod pattern and want to save a couple hundred bucks on a pair, the KSM32 is a good buy.

If I were in OP's shoes and needed multi-pattern I'd go 4050, unless I had the extra change, then I'd go with 414s.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 10:54:07 AM »

There's nothing wrong with a KSM32, but I think whether you prefer them to 414 will depend on the dynamics of the source. The 414 has sensitivity +3dB, and A weighted self noise -7dB relative to the KSM32.

The AT4050 and the KSM32 have more equivalent specs, so if you just need a cardiod pattern and want to save a couple hundred bucks on a pair, the KSM32 is a good buy.

If I were in OP's shoes and needed multi-pattern I'd go 4050, unless I had the extra change, then I'd go with 414s.

If I absolutely need low self-noise I use the 44's instead of the 32's.  This pretty much divides their duties between live and recording.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 01:34:40 PM »

Hi folks,

Looking to invest in a pair of large diaphragm condenser mics that I can use for drum overheads and also use for other various live sound applications....in particular I have a large 15 person Acapella  group I need to use them for soon. They will be singing in a semi circle around the pair.

Without getting too crazy on pricing...what would everyone suggest?

I've had great success with Audix SCX25A's.  These sound good on everything that I've ever put them in front of (unless the source itself was bad)!  We've used them for bluegrass, barbershop quartets, big bands, drum overheads, guitar amps, etc.  They also are far smaller/more unobtrusive than usual LDC mics.

http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/units/SCX25A.shtml

Jeff

Rick Earl

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »

+1  Shure offers one of the smoothest polar patterns, on and off access response is consistent enough so that they make a nice single mic for a group. I also like them as a cost effective solution for choirs.   The KSM44 is multi-pattern and quieter,  but more expensive. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.