ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Large Diaphragm Condensor Suggestions  (Read 9047 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Large Diaphragm Condensor Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »

Hi folks,

Looking to invest in a pair of large diaphragm condenser mics that I can use for drum overheads and also use for other various live sound applications....in particular I have a large 15 person Acapella  group I need to use them for soon. They will be singing in a semi circle around the pair.

Without getting too crazy on pricing...what would everyone suggest?
We've had good success with the AKG Perception series (220 series). They are very inexpensive and have done well as drum kit overheads, and choir mics.  We used them to mic bongos for a couple of shows. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »

I'm an AKG fan too.  I've had a pair of C414EBs for 30 years now that mostly get used for choir pickup, both PA and recording (sometimes at the same time!).  One choir I do on a regular basis sets up on risers in a semicircle, I put the pair, set to hyper card, on a very tall stand, over top of the conductor, and more or less at the focus of the semi-circle.  I add a C460B with hyper card capsule in between pointing straight up the middle.  I'm not afraid to roll off the low end, and put some serious notches in the PA to get some GBF.  The recording feed doesn't get the drastic EQ.

The C414EB are the ones to own.  The successor models never sounded as nice - almost an "in your face" thing that I didn't hear in the EB.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 10:30:13 PM »

We've had good success with the AKG Perception series (220 series). They are very inexpensive and have done well as drum kit overheads, and choir mics.  We used them to mic bongos for a couple of shows.
At that price point the CAD M179 is a good mic.  Probably the best of the Chinese U87ish thing.  I've not used one live but for recording it has a well balanced sound with enough top air to get cymbal shimmer.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 03:47:00 AM »

The Perception 220 is a very decent mic for cheap money. I'm using one for guitar cab right now.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 12:13:01 PM »

The Perception 220 is a very decent mic for cheap money. I'm using one for guitar cab right now.

When does the 300Hz roll-off come in handy?  Just for cymbal duty?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »

Couldn't tell you. I don't use it.

I typically don't use any roll off switches on the mic. The desk has an adjustable roll off that works great, so I don't see the need
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 03:26:01 AM »

Agree that the Perception 220 is a nice clean sounding mic for all sorts of live use. I’d much prefer a set a C414s, but I can’t afford them and the P220’s get me in the same ballpark

Roland Clarke

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 05:53:01 PM »

I got to use some AKG 214's this summer and they were used as "ambient" pick-up.  They sounded really good, far better than I had hoped.  As Mac mentioned above, AT 4050's are great, but I would steer clear of 4033's as they sound lousy off axis..

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 11:15:32 PM »

Just for reference the AT 4033 is not a large diaphragm mic, the actual diaphragm is not quite a half inch in diameter.

The inner diaphragm mounting and suspension hardware makes it look bigger.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 05:04:28 AM »

Just for reference the AT 4033 is not a large diaphragm mic, the actual diaphragm is not quite a half inch in diameter.

The inner diaphragm mounting and suspension hardware makes it look bigger.

This might well be why it isn't that good.  I remember when it first came out people were touting it as a 414 alternative.  My subjective experience with it has been very disappointing.  The 4050, on the other hand is a great microphone and often underrated.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 05:04:28 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.