ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet D-Fi USB - anyone have experience with these?  (Read 2354 times)

Jay Marr

Chauvet D-Fi USB - anyone have experience with these?
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »

I recently purchased 2 of the Chauvet 4Bar Tri light units...along with two of the D-Fi USB sticks to sync them.
Took them out for a test run last night and had trouble getting the units to communicate via the D-Fi USB sticks....when I am also using a DMX Controller (into the 4Bar Tri that is the 'master').
The Chauvet demo video makes it look super easy (and it probably is), and I did finally get it working (but don't know how/when it all of a sudden worked)....so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong (and right).

I'll explain the set up a bit.  I have a laptop running to my first 4Bar light (which I'm considering the 'master') with a standard DMX cable. 
Sending a very basic program, and it works fine.
In theory, I should be able to drop the D-Fi sticks into each of my 4 Bars (having the dip switches set so one is master and one is slave).  As mentioned, the first 4bar, which is taking in the DMX signal from my laptop, I am setting the dip switches to 'master', and the other 4bar has the D-Fi stick set to 'slave'.
Well.....when I plugged in the D-Fi sticks....nothing happened.

So my chain is:  Laptop (sending DMX program via cable) -> 4Bar #1 (with a D-Fi stick set to 'master') -> 4Bar #2 (with a D-Fi stick set to 'slave').

As I said, it did not communicate at first.  We had to get on stage, so we set the 4bars to an 'auto' program and played the first set.
During a break we played around some more, using a different channel on the D-Fi stick, etc.  Nothing.
Then tried hard wire cables instead of the D-Fi stick....and were able to get the units sync'd.  Went on for another set.  After that set, played around more with plugging, unplugging, and all of a sudden....it was working.

My 'guess' is that there is a boot sequence for all of this, where the DMX going into the 'master' 4bar has to be the last connection...or the first connection...something of that nature.  Because we did all of this in kind of a rush, I do not know he sequence of events that worked.
So before I dig the gear out of the truck to try and figure this out.....I figured I'd throw this question out to the community, to see if someone knows the simple solution/answer to this.

Thanks! - Jay

ProSoundWeb Community

Chauvet D-Fi USB - anyone have experience with these?
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.