ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx 700 to srx 800  (Read 12585 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Srx 700 to srx 800
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 05:09:36 PM »

Let me add that by dated I mean that ( A ): It is discontinued and ( B ): The box is a pretty basic design where only the parts within it make it what it is. Reason ( A ) is something to think about in the near future in reference to parts. Parts are going to eventually get harder to find.... So yes, it is dated. I don't think the SRX 700 series is a major step above other similar options available now. Same price you can get a passive 800 series speaker. The newer 700 series PRX line is a pretty close contender to the SRX 700 stuff, both in output and quality of sound.  You also don't have to buy an amp. So while yes, the SRX 700 series is very good by even today's standards, it is not punching above its weight and is expensive in comparison.

I say stick with what you have until its demand and value drops a little more. The 728's are still very much on the want list and the others in that line still have some desire. Most won't say no to it and who knows, maybe in a few more years there will be an even better less expensive option?

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 06:49:43 PM »

The SRX712, 715 and 835 have a 3" HF driver. The SRX725 has a 4". The VP HF driver is 4" but not the same as the 725
There are advantages and disadvantages to each a 3" and 4" diaphram HF driver.

So "it depends".

Generally, a 4" diaphragm will handle more power and go lower in freq.

A 3" will typically have a better HF response with breakup modes that are higher in freq.

Also a 4" is typically found on a wider exit driver.

This can be a bad thing if the coverage pattern is wide.  The higher freq will not be able to "fill out the horn"-so the coverage may not be as even-across the whole freq band as a smaller diaphragm/exit driver.

But many people wrongly "assume" a 4" is "somehow better".  Not necessarily so.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 08:07:20 PM »

As Ivan states the diaphragm size will mostly determine power handling capabilities and frequency response. The critical part of the assembly will be the horn, it's horn to driver coupling size, the horn dimensions and shape.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »

There are advantages and disadvantages to each a 3" and 4" diaphram HF driver.

So "it depends".

Generally, a 4" diaphragm will handle more power and go lower in freq.

A 3" will typically have a better HF response with breakup modes that are higher in freq.

Also a 4" is typically found on a wider exit driver.

This can be a bad thing if the coverage pattern is wide.  The higher freq will not be able to "fill out the horn"-so the coverage may not be as even-across the whole freq band as a smaller diaphragm/exit driver.

But many people wrongly "assume" a 4" is "somehow better".  Not necessarily so.

I was only pointing out the sizes of the HF in the various models. Not that one size is better than another.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »

The 712m has an elliptical CD horn whereas the 812 has a more conventional rectangular higher aspect ratio horn.  As Ivan often points out, narrower patterns required a larger mouth, which makes me leery of the new speaker.  It should lose vertical pattern control at a much higher frequency than the horizontal.  Which means more upper mids bouncing off the ceiling.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 05:03:06 AM »

I am very lucky to run a house system every weekend with stx835 flown over stx828s.  I am going to be adding Srx 835p and SRX828P to my inventory in Q1 2016 and I hope these reports will reflect my experience. 

The STX is a joy to run, articulate and effortless I can't say enough good about it.   It's simply driven with a  PL389 driving the mains and two bridged pl380's on the subs.   The only thing I wish is we had more processing a DBX drive rack takes care of those duties.  Here are a couple of videos and pics.  You can see how they are flown.

https://youtu.be/Dzwra6avhUI

https://youtu.be/tuWtZvvelVY

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

jim whitmer

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »

Didn't JBL used to provide polar plots? I can't seem to dig any up for the 800's.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »

Didn't JBL used to provide polar plots? I can't seem to dig any up for the 800's.

Mostly for the install boxes. And a few others.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:15:15 PM by Jamin Lynch »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.