ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx 700 to srx 800  (Read 12613 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Srx 700 to srx 800
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »

Yeah, I think the 835s are my next move!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 03:29:18 AM »

I do and I don't like the 700 series. While at the time they were probably the best mid range system you could get, today they are very much dated. Sound wise they are fine, but not OMG. The new 800 series is pretty much the bizz. The next step up is expensive, but not going to blow them away. The 800 series is probably the best speaker for the money you can buy. Going with a 700 series box and the Crown HD amplification required to get FIR filters, you are not going to outperform the 800 line and you will spend more to not do it.

The only reasons I think JBL released a passive version of the 800 series is because they figure many will buy into it because they already have amplifiers, or to break into the mid range MI market and compete with the other passives that are currently selling ( which may tie into reason one a bit ? ). These days it is nearly impossible to beat the self powered speaker models even with their passive counterparts. The even more disturbing thing is that you will probably spend more money in order to even the score. To meet the performance level you realistically need an amp that has all the digital bits in it and costs about $1k or more. To go full bore you would need an amp that costs several thousand and will still only handle one speaker. I guess the break even point might be if you need to power two speakers off one amp?

As for the STX series, that is a toss up. My feedback has been that the STX line does not meet the same performance standard as the 700 series. There is one exception though. The STX-835 is about the only one of it's kind. There is not any other 3 way Bi-amp boxes that utilize 2 X 15" speakers in a slot loaded fashion right now. If there was not a 3 way SRX-835P this would be the only other option for me. While it doesn't have OMG specs, I am certain that this box would perform very well. Most other 3 way boxes either don't perform to this level, are too expensive, or not suited as much for portable live sound. In either case, if your budget can afford 700 and or STX series stuff, then don't overlook the SRX-800 series. It is the thing to beat.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »

I've never been a big fan of powered speakers, but that's another discussion. When you relate to the 700 series vs the newer 800 series powered boxes you need to keep in mind that JBL, or any other company for that matter, has taken the guess work out of tuning the cabinet for you. The amplifier and crossover points are all applied by the factory. Processing the cabinets properly is IMO the single most important step in configuring your speaker system and combination of cabinets used.

I have listened to the cry's of "like an ice pick to your head" since what seems to be the beginning of time when the name JBL is mentioned, and for some very good reasons. I heard it when I spent $10K on SRX725s, and I've heard it since. I personally, and going back to the day of passive crossovers, have never had an issue with that urban myth, although I've heard plenty of JBL systems that fit the description when not properly processed. What I have done, which I feel is key to good sound, is attempt to keep up with technology where it matters most.

In this case I believe that to be processing, which for me is a pair of dbx 4800 DSPs. Now I'm not saying that the 4800 is the best DSP available, but the design is current, and it is a DSP that's at or near the top of it's class and capable of doing the job properly. I'll also state there IS a sonic difference as compared to lower cost DSPs, and that combined with it's capabilities makes a difference in the system sound, when properly used and tuned according to the JBL bible.

The point here is that people who have an investment in $4000 DSPs that are used properly, won't realize a benefit sound wise by replacing their systems and using a factory configured powered box. In all actuality, those powered boxes may not even sound as good regardless of the DSP used. What most people benefit from is the ease of use, reduced rack count, reduction in weight at load in/out, etc..

In my case I auditioned the 835 and my 725s side by side, powered by the same amps, and through the same DSP. Output was equal, sound quality from both was outstanding at ALL levels, and the construction of both is beyond reproach. The 835 has something extra though, something very hard to describe. The presence and fidelity are definitely a step up from the 725, which I attribute this to the box being a 3 way system, but it goes beyond that. The 835 has the wonderful sound of the VP series at half the price, ultra smooth response, and is loud beyond what anyone would call acceptable for performance in the world we live in.

The minus? Wicked heavy and definitely a two man lift. But that's just me, and I'm old, so who cares.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »

I do and I don't like the 700 series. While at the time they were probably the best mid range system you could get, today they are very much dated

Very much dated?  My 712's (and other 700 series cabs)use essentially the same hi freq driver as the SRX 835 and the same neo 12's as the VTX and VP series.  If the 700 series was introduced today it would be considered state of the art.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »

My SRX 700 series cabs, mainly the 712, 715, 718 get the most use. Throw in one IT 4000 or 6000 and your good to go. People love the sound, simple setup, weight and the fact you can fit it in a small SUV. For me it has been a great rental rig for weddings, small clubs and other events. My 812/818p rig has not been getting much use. The extra weight and AC setup/clutter is what my customers don't like. 

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »

Very much dated?  My 712's (and other 700 series cabs)use essentially the same hi freq driver as the SRX 835 and the same neo 12's as the VTX and VP series.  If the 700 series was introduced today it would be considered state of the art.

The SRX712, 715 and 835 have a 3" HF driver. The SRX725 has a 4". The VP HF driver is 4" but not the same as the 725

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »

I was talking about the 12's in the VP series.  But, the VP uses the same 2452 driver that was in later models of the SRX 722.

Anyway, I guess my point is that the old 700 series holds up pretty well when compared to current offerings.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:41:40 AM by Chuck Simon »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 11:42:28 AM »

I was talking about the 12's in the VP series.  But, the VP uses the same 2452 driver that was in later models of the SRX 722.

The VP's use the 2452H-SL HF driver. Only slightly different, but much better sound

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »

Either way, back to the OP -- if you NEED a reason to purchase new gear (end of the year, tax benefits, etc) then it would make a nice secondary rig. But, as I'd mentioned before, I don't think you will see "a step up" into things like higher billing numbers for this new rig. Great to add another rig and be able to manage two shows at the same time, or couple in extra subs/delay stacks for a larger show. But in of itself, the move to an SRX800 rig would be pretty lateral.

As was said before, if it's not broken, don't fix it- I think you still have a great sounding rig there. (Not sure where you are at, but there's a guy in New Jersey on eBay selling SRX728S, with casters, for $1600/pair. Pickup only.)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »

All of the SRX700 series speakers are still relevant even today. They are very popular in my area. It seems just about everybody has them. Some sound good while others sound really bad. Not the speakers fault. Most are not properly powered or processed. But they can sound really good.

I think where JBL has missed the boat on the STX line is the overall stack height and weight. A pair of SRX725's over 2 728's (properly powered and splayed,) is a pretty awesome rig with the horn at a good height. I can stack a 725 on top of 728's by myself.

I would really like to get the STX835's but with the mid/high horns in the middle of the box really makes the height less than optimal. Plus I don't think I can pick up and stack them by myself.

The STX's may sound a bit better, but not enough to justify it over a good SRX700 rig that you already own.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.